iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Rant

Apple iPod Touch 4G MC series (Thumbs down!)

by Chuck_AzEee1 / May 27, 2013 12:38 AM PDT

Nearly two years ago, my previous iPod Touch 30GB Second Generation, literally went kaput on me, (battery and internal space) so I decided with the extra money to purchase a 64GB iPod Touch 4 Generation. Prior to updating the iPod touch to the iOS 5, that iPod touch was one of the best purchase I ever made with Apple.

Then came the iOS 5 update. The update was so heavy that my iPod touch hasn't been the same since. It seems to lag behind on everything, I removed any apps that I have on my iPhone so that there would be some semblance of normalcy, yet it still is very slow. I have a Windows based laptop and the update to iTunes has caused the file to become corrupted. Upon downloading and correcting the iTunes error, the songs I have on my computer have been doubled and in some cases tripled! I wrote Apple a email about this problem and I can't synch my iPod or else it would run out of room.

Apple has truly lost me as a customer, the $400+ I spent on a soon to be paperweight is disgusting. Apple seemed to have realized their error by making the current versions of the iPod touch 4 Gen with a faster processor hence comes the MC. The current versions are MD and the new iPod touchs are a totally different breed, yet lagging in the storage needed for people like me that have well over 9000+ songs that DO NOT want to cloud their music.

Apple truly screwed me with the iPod touch 4 Gen.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple iPod Touch 4G MC series (Thumbs down!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple iPod Touch 4G MC series (Thumbs down!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Correction
by Pepe7 / May 27, 2013 1:07 AM PDT

There was no such thing as a iPod Touch 30GB, second generation. See here for reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_touch

You really should first learn how to use/set up/troubleshoot your device before complaining. It's common knowledge that iTunes is the biggest piece of bloatware known to mankind, so that's the first thing you need to deal with. If your music library is properly backed up somewhere as it should be, you can start from scratch and eliminate the issues you face currently with the corrupt iTunes install/library/data. On Windows it can truly be a pain, but starting from scratch works nearly 99% of the time to get up and running again. Again, learn about your options on the table before complaining.

Steps you should take:

-Back up your music library (& other unique data not on the cloud) to an external drive if you haven't already

-Use third party software to backup what you need currently on your iPod which is having issues. There's a nice one called iTools for Windows that you might want to check out for starters.

-Uninstall iTunes on your PC

-Run a registry cleaner which will assist in removing rogue references to iTunes & associated files/folders

-Reboot PC

-Nuke your iPod Touch (e.g. do a complete device reset)

-Re-install iTunes on your PC (make sure you have the latest version)

-Import music library into iTunes

-Activate your iPod Touch as a new device using iTunes

-Sync with newly created music library on PC

-Logging in w/ current AppleID will allow you over wifi (& perhaps also when connected to iTunes via USB) to re-download your old apps. This nay take some time if you had a lot of programs on your device, btw.

Let us know how it goes and perhaps we can troubleshoot further. It's definitely not the hardware, but corrupt software/install that's causing your issues. Also, turn off as many unnecessary things running in the background on your iPod Touch over wifi to speed up performance.

Collapse -
Forgive me for my the mistake.
by Chuck_AzEee1 / May 27, 2013 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction

I should have checked for my typo error. APPLE IPOD TOUCH 32 GYGABYTE FOURTH GENERATION IN WHICH THE SERIAL NUMBER BEGINS WITH THE FIRST TWO LETTERS MC.

Now Pepe7, I AM tech savvy, and did my homework and researched both on Apple and via the Internet on ways of fixing this mess. NOW, if I failed to mention that the steps YOU wrote back to me is that this process is extremely time consuming, yet I have DONE everything that was mentioned, So Pepe7 do not assume that I have not done these steps, I often back up my iPod touch, I do close out apps that are being used.

And if my post was too vague for you assume that I do not know what I am doing and that I'm a bumbling idiot, sorry but if I'm paying $400 plus hard earned dollars and have "to deal with it" BLEEP! I have every freakin' right to complain and air my gripes if the devices is now substandard that made modifications to the devices so that apps could run properly.

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2013 4:28 AM PDT

Almost all these things are still in development. They work fine, most of the time for most folk but if folk want to carry their entire music and video library then they tend to get upset about how it works. You either get on a cloud system or learn how to sync just this or that.

When trouble strikes I think sorting it out seems to take far too much time since it can take hours to sync all that. Not including any of the other usual issues of duplicated libraries and more.

It's as if we are lab rats.
Bob

Collapse -
I am just going to say it
by Pepe7 / May 27, 2013 10:58 AM PDT

If you were tech savvy, you would have tried my steps and taken care of your issue, since it's not hardware based. Sure, if you hadn't taken the time prior to your crash/issue to properly back up your library and check this backup as being comprised of individual songs, well, that's a risk you decided to take. Don't for a minute think you are the only one who has had to deal with corrupt iTunes libraries. Again, this is a common issue. You simply weren't backing up your library properly. At least admit that much.

FWIW, I've use enough of the various iPod devices to know that it's far from 'sub-standard'. Again, wipe the device and start again to remove this issue. Yes, it can be time consuming, but sometimes we have to eat this time and move along...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.