The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple iPhone to be Cingular-exclusive at launch

by awinn233 / September 25, 2006 2:33 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple iPhone to be Cingular-exclusive at launch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple iPhone to be Cingular-exclusive at launch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm a little wary
by Stan0807 / September 25, 2006 11:01 PM PDT

because Apple has said blatantly the phone market is not one they want to get into.

It would be great and I would be one of the first people in line to buy one, but I'm just a little cautious because this kind of rumor has been around for approximately forever.

Collapse -
Good - I'm glad it isn't Sprint
by cardsbb9 / September 25, 2006 11:33 PM PDT

I am waiting for the Zune.... waiting for a device that is phone, MP3-player, and podcatcher/player. I'm hopin' the Zune will be the item I want.

I'm holding off upgrading iTunes (still at ver. 6), I won't buy another iPod. If Zune turns out to be what I hope it will be I'll sell the Nano I have on eBay.

Since it sounds like Apple is arranging a strategic aliance with Cingular then that leaves me with the hope that when the Zune (with phone) comes out that it will be CDMA compatable... which means either Verizon or Sprint.

I'm currently with Sprint, but have been thinking of switching to Verizon.

Whatever happens, I want a Zune-phone-player-podcatcher which is CDMA compatable.

(Hold the camera, please)

Collapse -
Awesome
by MacHugger / September 26, 2006 2:54 PM PDT

Really anxious to see how long before WiFi broadcast trojan horses bring Zune players screeching to a halt. Should be fun. Your music player will only be down for a month until Microsoft releases a patch.

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) definition of FUD and flamebait in one post!
by SantiagoCrespo / September 27, 2006 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Awesome
Collapse -
Just sayin' - where there's a door, there's a way
by MacHugger / September 27, 2006 3:24 AM PDT

And hey, can we have a pro Apple moderator too?

-Kevin

Collapse -
There are lots of devices with Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi
by SantiagoCrespo / September 27, 2006 5:20 AM PDT

And very few (if any) vulnerabilities have arised in the wild, but the Microsoft bias in here is absolutely relentless.
BTW, an Apple-knowledgeable moderator might be coming this way. But if you want an Apple-biased moderator, that won't happen.

Collapse -
Merit
by MacHugger / September 27, 2006 5:41 AM PDT

Very few of those wireless devices have been built to encourage users to pracitcally spam their friends with files from their device. What has it been to date? Mostly PDA type devices where one might share a file created by the user sending it (such as an address card) to another user.

Now with the Zune, files will be downloaded (will it ALWAYS be some kind of Microsoft certified "safe" file??) and they will throw them around from one user to another.

Your knee jerk reaction that my comment about it is flamebait and FUD without considering there might actually be something to it shows YOUR bias. I see it all the time from you, much as you like to think you're an eve-keeled moderator.

-Kevin

Collapse -
I moderate solely based on the CNET TOS.
by SantiagoCrespo / September 27, 2006 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Merit

which can be found here.
I do not let my technology choices hamper my ability to lock or delete threads when necessary (which fortunately isn't too often).
And let me get something very straight, Iam not biased towards Microsoft, Iam very annoyed at fanboyishms of any kind (oh, because it's micro$loth, it's gonna suck) I despise MS, Apple and Linux trolls alike. Each system serves best a particular type of user, and that's it, we all have our reasons for our choice of Operating System, MP3 player or computer form-factor, and we all have to learn to respect that.

Back on topic,
If Windows mobile and Palm OS devices, which enable you to share any kind of file you want through Wi-Fi, bluetooth or IRda, despite being almost general-purpose computers do not have a history of dangerous holes, why should the Zune, a single-purpose device suffer from one of them?
I firmly believe there is no perfect media player. The iPod is the most popular, but it doesn't fit my particular needs, the Sansas are very cool, but to some people they feel a bit flimsy, nevermind Sony. I would not, and will not, buy a Zune, because it is HDD based, so it cannot be used during heavy physical activities.

Collapse -
2 topics
by MacHugger / September 27, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

I will never claim that I do not have a bias. Anybody that does so is being a hypocrite in the purest form. Nearly every decision we make down to the minute includes some internal bias for making that decision. Therefore, I cannot accept that you have none. I've seen far too many examples of postings from everybody on this board (including you) and I know in which camps people fall.

Our goal is to try to keep an open mind. I fail all the time. It's quite easy to throw around words like troll and FUD and fanboy (I do it and you certainly do it too) which demeans the comment of the other. Just don't expect that behavior to go unchallenged. Your reply earlier today was clearly a reaction based upon your bias, whether you are capable of admitting you have one or not.

Now on to the second topic. The way in which the Zune will be pushing files around is what may very well make it vulnerable to viral attacks. We've seen mobile phone based viruses but they've had limited impact. Microsoft somehow seems to invite viral attacks and I'm saying that I expect to see some show up in this product, especially because of the way Microsoft expects people to use it: download files and throw them to everyone you know.

We'll see. Somebody might have to eat a tasty plate of crow when the first Zune virus makes the rounds Wink

-Kevin

Collapse -
And what I was expressing was my personal tastes
by cardsbb9 / September 27, 2006 1:27 PM PDT

The main point I was making was that since Apple is "backing" GSM, that I hope that Microsoft will then back CDMA.

What I got for expressing my personal tastes was (as you stated) flaimbait as well as FUD.

But to address the FUD - it is my hope that Microsoft will have (finally) learned the root-cause of all their security holes and taken steps to make sure they don't build systems that way anymore. I hope that the reason for the delay in Vista is to allow them to rework that aspect. Didn't we hear that there was some test of Vista that showed it was still being built with security holes, and that Microsoft was taking steps to rectify their whole approach?

Collapse -
iPhone
by gsmiller88 / September 26, 2006 7:31 PM PDT

What about ppl living outside the US?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Cingular's the best anyways...
by mdstout58 / September 27, 2006 11:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.