Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Apple, iPhone, privacy and the waning use of cash

by Bill Osler / January 19, 2008 3:37 AM PST

I found this disturbing:

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple, iPhone, privacy and the waning use of cash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple, iPhone, privacy and the waning use of cash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
but this is Apple!
by Kiddpeat / January 19, 2008 4:06 AM PST

Apple walks on water! They can do no wrong!

Everything Apple does is for your good. They just want to know who their customers are, and how they can better serve them. Apple is GOOD! Others, such as the evil empire (MICROSOFT) is BAD!

Be good. Drink your Apple juice. Don't raise embarrassing questions.

Collapse -
I think I read this story
by critic411 / January 19, 2008 4:17 AM PST

earlier this week, and I think the real question is, what if anything APPLE will be doing with the information IF they catch someone?? For allegedly being one of the best and most brilliant companies in the world, they seem to make a lot of these type of blunders that seem to really fly under the radar.

Collapse -
it is the tip of the iceberg
by WOODS-HICK / January 19, 2008 5:53 AM PST

of the coming 'cashless' society.

a plastic card paper trail that would reduce much of the underground economy to the barter system.

there will always be outlaws so it is not foolproof.

plus the government saves money by not making it. it is steadily creeping into acceptance. with wi-fi and satellite (e.g. Mobil gas easy pass) you will be able to buy a newspaper at the corner sidewalk stand.

expect the price of lemonade at kid's stands to increase.

Collapse -
I remember paying cash for motel rooms
by Steven Haninger / January 19, 2008 7:24 AM PST

when they were more affordable. Later, they started asking for a card even if you paid cash. The reason given was to cover damages they might find after you left. I was told they hold the card information just long enough to make sure the room was ok. This sounds similar in principle to what Apple is doing. I've never liked using a credit card except at places I know and trust and for purchases large enough that carrying that much cash was unwise.

Collapse -
That policy was set in October.
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2008 8:04 AM PST

iPhones went on sale the last of June.

It didn't take long for "resellers" to start gobbling them up like ticket reseller did Hannah Montana concert tickets, unlocking them, and selling them at a profit to hungry hordes. Apple also started limiting sales to only 2 per person.

I'd love to have one. neatest things! But cell phone usage costs are way beyond my budget, AT&T or not.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought anything that cost as much as they did without the protection offered by a credit card.

The only "track" I can see that can be used by Apple is for proof of original purchase.

Not being an attorney, I am not versed in the legalities of it otherwise. But there was "proof" that the W95 on my Gateway was licensed to me , and the WMe on my Dell was licensed to me , just as the Mac OSX on my iMac is my machine, and I don't see the difference for wanting proof of purchase for an iPhone other than a bill of sale which can be altered.

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) Above not an NT,
by Angeline Booher / January 19, 2008 8:05 AM PST
Collapse -
I'd consider it illegal, but
by Roger NC / January 20, 2008 12:45 AM PST

I'm no lawyer.

They can insist on ID if they wish, but if I wanted to pay cash, they should take it.

Heck, only a few years ago, at my last job, when they insisted we go to direct deposit whether we wanted it or not (I did actually), there were a few people there that had to open accounts at the bank/credit union to get their money. They lived on a cash base, not even using checking.

As you pointed out, our currency is by law legal tender, so how can they refuse it? Of course, that's true for mail orders for years. It was either check or COD for a while, then became check or credit card.

Still, while perhaps it's the simplest way for Apple to try to keep a tight rein on their users, I think it's wrong. ID yes, credit card demanded, no.

Collapse -
I thought cash, as a legal tender established by our
by dirtyrich / January 20, 2008 12:49 AM PST

government, could be used to pay any debt?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) iPhone e-Trail Sign Of Loss Of Our Freedom Of Anonymity
by Catgic / January 20, 2008 8:54 PM PST
Collapse -
Clay appears to have answered the legality question....
by Angeline Booher / January 21, 2008 3:09 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.