Mac Applications

Rant

Apple ends Mobile Me and Leaves Page Rank Hanging

by niceboston / August 20, 2012 11:36 AM PDT

I have been a Mac user since I was 5 years old (I am now 29). I have loved and used Mac products the entire way, but I know that sometimes they take a while to work out the kinks in new ideas. That's the way innovation is sometimes.

Their latest innovation is the iCloud service, which replaced among other things the Mobile Me service. Part of the Mobile Me service was an easy interface with their application called iWeb with which one more familiar with Powerpoint than HTML could create and publish websites. This is how I had done my website and developed a web presence for the last 7 years (5 years on the web.mac.com URL).

On July 31, Apple closed Mobile Me and erased all files from those accounts, along with them any websites that were stored on Mobile Me. This is supposed to be an improvement in service to the new iCloud service. However, the benefits of this service did not justify the costs and so I have moved my website, previously on web.mac.com, to another hosting service.

The real problem is that the files are transferred BUT THE PAGE RANK IS NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE RESTRICTED ACCESS TO THE ORIGINAL WEB.MAC.COM URL! This is a big problem.

It's only about three weeks since this change went into effect and I hope that many other people who made their personal sites, their businesses, their blogs, etc. vent their frustration with Apple over this short-sighted transition plan.

As a short-term solution, at least allow former users of web.mac.com to upload a 301 redirect file to their original web.mac.com websites so that they can transfer their webs history to the new URL. This should require almost no effort on the side of Apple.

This was a big screwup, guys, and Apple Support today could only tell me that they "had not thought of that" when I confronted them with this problem. Their solution was to register a complaint, so here I am and I urge you to do the same.

If people are going to build their lives around Apple then the least they can do is figure out a way to maintain that for their customers. The behavior exhibited by this lack of engineering foresight is uncharacteristic, regrettable and, I hope, fixable.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple ends Mobile Me and Leaves Page Rank Hanging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple ends Mobile Me and Leaves Page Rank Hanging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 21, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

when would have been the best time to activate the 301 Redirect file?

Now, after Apple has finally shut down the servers after months of telling users to move their stuff because it would be deleted if you didn't?
OR
6 months ago when Apple first sent out their warning notices?

P

Collapse -
MMe Demise
by Old_Toad / August 29, 2012 6:04 AM PDT
On July 31, Apple closed Mobile Me and erased all files from those accounts

Users were able to download their files for a couple of weeks after the July 31 date. I moved my websites about 4 months before the deadline and setup auto redirect with a message to the new site location. This gave visitors and occasional visitors ample time to see the message and bookmark the new locations. Waiting until the last minute is not being proactive.

If you have a domain name for your website, redirecting it to the new location will get those visitors that use the domain name to get to your website. IMO getting a 12 month notification and follow on notifications every so often is adequate notification for making a move to a permanent web hosting location.
Collapse -
(NT) My point exactly!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2012 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: MMe Demise
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.