MacBooks forum

Resolved Question

apple + connecton time out occurred

by Kazzandram / October 16, 2011 5:12 AM PDT

Just got the leatest download of apple mac pro 10.7.2 and now I cannot connect to the internet. All my other pC's and laptops connect.
I have restarted the router and restarted the apple mac pro. I have deleted then re-established the network.
Router is good.
Any advice please?

Kazzandram has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: apple + connecton time out occurred
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: apple + connecton time out occurred
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Kazzandram

Collapse -
What IP address does the Mac Pro get?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 16, 2011 9:46 AM PDT

P

Collapse -
Internet connection issues
by Kazzandram / October 16, 2011 10:16 PM PDT

Not sure. It has always logged onto the net automatically? Presumably it uses my ISP providers' IP address.

Collapse -
IP address
by Kazzandram / October 16, 2011 10:21 PM PDT

Collapse -
OK, that's an encouraging number
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 17, 2011 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: IP address

now go to System Preferences > Network and click on your method of connecting to your modem. (Ethernet or Airport(wireless)
Click the Assist Me button.
Choose Diagnostics
Check that all the lights in the left pane are Green.
If they are not, then you are not getting out to the internet. In the right hand window, choose your method of connection and click Continue.
Follow the instructions and see how you get on.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 17, 2011 9:17 AM PDT

with that IP address, it would seem that you have a router in your network. As you have not mentioned it I assume that you have a DSL connection and that your Modem is also a Router. (possibly wireless)

Collapse -
Wifi or not to wifi?
by Kazzandram / October 17, 2011 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Forgot to mention.

Hi
Yes I have a belkin wireless router and connect through dsl. As I said though until the latest update/download from Apple, all was well and it connected to the internet using wi-fi without any issues.
I have gone through the system preferences>assit me> and found that the wi-fi aspects now show red. I still get the message either conenction timed out or you are not connected because....etc. No matter what I do re the advice it will not see the internet re wi-fi. The router set procedures are straight forward and without dismantling the router etc, which I am loarthe to so as everything else works, not sure what has happened.
I can connect to the internet using an ethnet cable but I want to get back to being wireless.
Nothing has changed on the router and I run 2PC's and a laptop without any glitches? So somehting in the latest download might have affected the settings?

Collapse -
this is the 8th post on this problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 18, 2011 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Wifi or not to wifi?

and this is the first time that you felt it necessary to mention that it was your Wireless connection that had failed and that you could access the internet using the wired connection.

Wouldn't it have been nice had you mentioned the Wireless thing in your first post?

So, back to square one. Is the WiFi turned on?
Is there any Security on the wireless network.
If so, is it WEP or WPA?

Have you tried turning off the security to see if you can connect then?

P

Collapse -
Wi-Fi & security:looks like a fix
by Kazzandram / October 18, 2011 10:31 PM PDT

I am very sorry, suitably chastised. Goes and stand over in dunces corner!!

Collapse -
Onlyseems tp work when security turned off?
by Kazzandram / October 18, 2011 11:13 PM PDT

Unforunatley, when I re-enabled the WPA password on the router the wi-fi connection to the AMP went back to timed out and could not establish a connection.

Collapse -
We have the advice in the CNET Networking forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

But I can't find the details here.

In short, router defaults, SIMPLE SSID, do not hide the SSID, no MAC filters then test.
Then test with WPA2 AES.

Bob

Collapse -
Already did those things
by Kazzandram / October 19, 2011 3:01 AM PDT

In short, router defaults, SIMPLE SSID, do not hide the SSID, no MAC filters then test.
Then test with WPA2 AES.
These have already been done.

Collapse -
Time to try another router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2011 3:08 AM PDT

It DOES NOT matter that other things work. We have seen this issue time and time again. Sometimes the router has new firmware but looking over this post those details are missing.
Bob

Collapse -
No it's not the router!!
by Kazzandram / October 19, 2011 6:51 AM PDT

It DOES NOT matter that other things work. We have seen this issue time and time again. Sometimes the router has new firmware but looking over this post those details are missing.
Bob

Collapse -
Go to the Apple Site and
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 19, 2011 9:22 AM PDT

download the 10.7.2 update again

Collapse -
MP sees the wireless network - will download update again
by Kazzandram / October 19, 2011 5:27 PM PDT

Thanks I will do a another download.

Collapse -
How are you entering this password,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 19, 2011 9:57 PM PDT

give us an example of exactly what you type in

Collapse -
Password
by Kazzandram / October 20, 2011 1:16 AM PDT

I downloaded the update and installed it. However, I still get timed out when I try the wi-fi connection. It also says "wifi is turned on but not connected to a network". it sees all the potential networks including mine but will not connect.

Collapse -
Instead of using PSK,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Wifi or not to wifi?

use WPA2

the password will either be a word or a series of numbers and letters:

49 73 37 12 4c c6 a5 6d bd 73 c2 57 73

you will find it in the router WiFi section

P

Collapse -
Password confusion
by Kazzandram / October 20, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Instead of using PSK,

The only password is my own security one on the wifi router section. Not sure what you mean by the other passwrod, non shown?
WPA2 is used along with the other stuff as I highlighted (Authentication is:WPA-PSK-WPA2-PSK) as that is the main option apart from 64 or 128WEP. I did try WPA2-PSK on it's own but to no avail.

Collapse -
There is an old saying,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Password confusion

from the creator of a very famous fictional detective:

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Now beg, borrow, steal another wireless router and see if that works.

P

Collapse -
No it is not the Routers
by Kazzandram / October 31, 2011 11:00 PM PDT

Having tried your suggestion I can confirm that it is an Apple orientated issue, not routers, that is creating this issue.

Thanks, for now and the advice you have given me. I will just use the ethernet. Maybe even convince the wife to sell the Apple and get a PC!

Collapse -
So you've actually tried
by Jimmy Greystone / October 31, 2011 11:21 PM PDT

So you've actually tried with a different router, and nothing changed?

Skimming over this thread rather quickly... I see everyone gradually narrowing down the possibilities, and then when the conclusion winds up at the router, you suddenly have some secret knowledge that apparently exonerates the router, but you refuse to share it.

Suppose it's no skin off my nose. I'll just go back to ignoring this thread like I do every other one where the person asking the question isn't really interested in the answer. I figure when they've become sufficiently annoyed by whatever the problem is, they'll be back with a more open mind.

Collapse -
Skimmed the thread and then sarcasm!
by Kazzandram / November 1, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

It is interesting to note that it is always the router never the Mac. So i download latest mac OS then router does not recognise the wifi aspect of it even though it sees it therefore fault must lie in router.

All other laptops and PC's in house work perfectly!! So solution change router!

"you suddenly have some secret knowledge that apparently exonerates the router, but you refuse to share it. - Well the router(s) works with all the other PC's etc is that not enough evidence orwpould that actually be critising the Mac?

If I get the same issues what secret am I hiding?

I said thanks for the help but really people like you who cannot see what I have read "skimmed" as you said should just leave well alone.

Collapse -
All this means is this unit needs repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 3:50 AM PDT

It could be something like the old hidden SSID issue but I read this thread again and it's down to the laptop or the router.
bob

Collapse -
Answer
Again. Try another router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2011 3:25 PM PDT

I've seen folk lose months insisting it's not the router. Try that update again but unless there is missing details (such as make, model, firmware, settings of said router) you eventually learn that other things working do not prove it's not the router. Some folk take years to learn that.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
This blog post has the solution - step by step
by jv4blog / February 14, 2012 8:45 AM PST
Collapse -
This works!
by BodRangzen / April 20, 2012 3:04 PM PDT

Thank you. This works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.