The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple and Disabled People

by DSRoyall / January 28, 2010 1:56 PM PST

Regarding the iPad, Am I the only person on the planet who cannot use a capacitive screen? I'm physically disabled and must type everything with one knuckle. I don't have the dexterity to do finger-tip operations. A friend lent his original iPhone to me for several minutes, but I couldn't even get it to acknowledge my existance! I can use resistive screens, just not capacitive ones (don't get me started about Multi-touch either).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple and Disabled People
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple and Disabled People
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does this help
by Nicholas Buenk / January 28, 2010 3:15 PM PST

You could get a stylus if you're able to hold one, some are designed for a capacitive screen.
And the iPad has a dock for a physical keyboard.

Collapse -
Nice, but
by DSRoyall / January 29, 2010 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Does this help

Although those aren't bad ideas, I would have portability issues with them like anyone else.

Collapse -
by Slikkster / January 28, 2010 9:41 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't know
by DSRoyall / January 29, 2010 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: Curious...

I don't know. I suspect capacitive technology relies on the higher conductivity in fingertips.

Collapse -
It is harder with a knucle for sure.
by minimalist / January 29, 2010 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know

Pinch and zoom are out of the question with a a single digit though so I can see your point.

What about regular computers? What kind of interfaces do you find works best with them?

Collapse -
Laptops work
by DSRoyall / January 29, 2010 9:20 AM PST

Well, I've had a small fleet of Dell laptops over the years...

Collapse -
(NT) so touch pads are good then.
by minimalist / January 29, 2010 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Laptops work
Collapse -
Yes, good enough
by DSRoyall / January 31, 2010 6:49 AM PST

So why does Apple ignore people like me?

Collapse -
One time someone asked that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, good enough

And I had to ask if they were a customer. They said no and in doing so found their answer.

Companies tend to ignore all unless there is some money involved.

Collapse -
Isn't that a Catch-22?
by DSRoyall / January 31, 2010 8:31 AM PST

Point taken, but who can afford to buy things that they are unable to use? I have a capitalist's soul, but it did take a Class Action suit to get Microsoft to notice the Disabled. Now, free market forces are keeping me firmly in the Microsoft camp. Perhaps, it's Apple's turn.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Isn't that a Catch-22?

There has been some losses here in the USA so for now, vote with your wallet. Vote with your letters to your congress and so on.

Collapse -
(NT) It is just sad that disabled people are so underrepresented.
by DSRoyall / January 31, 2010 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: I hear you.
Collapse -
I was wondering about this...
by shmody / January 29, 2010 1:20 AM PST

What are some successful (or, least objectionable) input devices/methods that have addressed your disability? there a tech product/service company that focuses on this market?

Collapse -
It's funny
by DSRoyall / January 29, 2010 9:12 AM PST

It's funny how touchpads like me just fine. I'm unaware of anyone looking into the matter. Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a full laptop with EVDO mounted on my wheelchair. About the only way Jobs could tempt me is with live sex on stage! Happy

Collapse -
I was listening to the latest Gadgettes podcast...
by 1mrbig / February 14, 2010 11:41 AM PST

...and there's a certain brand of mini-sausage that they use in Korea when cold weather makes fingers ineffective for using touch pads. A trip to the local deli might be in order.

Collapse -
It's a thought
by DSRoyall / February 14, 2010 12:03 PM PST

That story was also on a recent BOL, and I started to joke about it. My understanding is that only a couple types of sausage work, and I don't see disabled people carrying cold-cuts around just to use their idevices.

Collapse -
Apple and Disabled People
by wizkids32 / January 29, 2010 6:33 AM PST

I think that the iPad might do the same thing that the iPod touch and the iPhone.

Collapse -
No doubt
by DSRoyall / January 29, 2010 9:14 AM PST

I'm sure it is.

Collapse -
by Winawer / February 5, 2010 1:50 AM PST
Collapse -
by DSRoyall / February 5, 2010 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Glove?

Thanks, I appreciate the thought. However, that page shows how you can make a glove co-exist with a capacitive screen. I think that just further demonstrates Apple's lack of concern about actual needs. Do Apple users never use their devices in cold weather? I certainly do. (And yes, I know there are "Apple-friendly" gloves, but that begs the point.)

In my case, a glove would not help. The issue for me is that capacitive screens only work with your fingertips, and I cannot hold a fingertip steady.

Collapse -
Apple Ipad and the disabled.
by guytaur1 / February 6, 2010 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Glove

I hope the glove works. IF it does then that will be a faster found solution than many for the disabled in the past.
A sign perhaps of the progress of society on disabled issues perhaps. Though of small solace to you in your situation.

Collapse -
by DSRoyall / February 7, 2010 4:37 AM PST

I'm afraid you misunderstood the web page you referred to, because that's a solution for people who wear gloves. It doesn't really bear on any disability.

I suppose that, if I really wanted an iPad, I would have to strap a little piece of metal over my knuckle. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.