Tablets forum

General discussion

App like Notability for Android

by aaron.luman / December 13, 2012 1:34 PM PST

I am looking to get a tablet (primarily for note taking) and have narrowed the choice down to the iPad and the Galaxy Note 10.1. I prefer the Galaxy 10.1 but am having trouble finding a good note taking app.

A classmate of mine uses Notability on his iPad and I LOVE the features. Are there any apps in the Android market that have all the features of Notability?

Typing, Drawing, and audio recording with tagging.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: App like Notability for Android
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: App like Notability for Android
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So does SuperNote do that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 2:55 PM PST
Collapse -
no
by aaron.luman / December 14, 2012 4:18 AM PST

SuperNote doesn't do this, at least I couldn't figure out how to do it in SuperNote. I wasn't able to get it to leave what I drew where I drew it (like all the other android apps I've found and tested it placed my scribbles in line with the most recently typed text) it could be that I couldn't see all the options on my gs3.

Also, the "insert audio recording" functionality seems to interrupt all other access to the app. meaning, you can't record AND take notes at the same time.

Collapse -
That's a refinement on your request.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: no

While it is possible to record and take notes I have to use 2 apps. And flip between them.

As to leave it where I drew it, it took getting used to the app.

Looks like you're getting an iPad.
Bob

Collapse -
more info...
by aaron.luman / December 13, 2012 3:46 PM PST

I feel that I should explain some more. For the last few years I have been using my laptop to type text notes and pen+paper to draw out the charts/graphs/etc.

I am looking at the tablets as a way to integrate the text (typed) and charts (drawn on the screen via stylus) and audio (recorded lectures) into one organized document.

I would prefer to get an Android tablet as I really do not like the iPhone/iPad on screen keyboard (for the occasional times that I'll by typing via the screen) especially with how much I like the keyboard on my GS3 (SwiftKey - http://www.swiftkey.net/) But, if I can't find an Android app that integrates typed text with hand written notes and recorded audio then I'll have to go with the iPad...

Please help!

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: more info...

I have SuperNote on the Asus, told you about it, supplied an article and it had all that. Then you write this so how did you miss that?

I think you want an iPad and that app so why not go get it?
Bob

Collapse -
Notability on iPad
by Jobean888 / December 14, 2012 12:15 PM PST

I have an iPad and after email and safari browser, I think Notability is my next most used app. I have used the audio recording in seminars and also combine photos and drawings with text. I bought this over a year ago and the developer has continued to expand its functionality. I emailed her a couple of times and she was very supportive. There are a few things I still would add but it has been great and I highly recommend. I don't mind using the on screen keyboard but did see a classmate who had a keyboard cover add on that she liked very well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.