The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

by acedtect / October 4, 2006 7:38 AM PDT

As many of you know, an unedited version of the podcast was accidentally posted today and included some bad language.

We sincerley apologise for this. The mistake was entirely ours and as soon as we became aware of it we uploaded the correct version.

It was not nor is it ever our attention to offend.

We messed this up and will give ourselves a sincere skewering over it on tomorrow's show. But for now please please please accept our apology

-BOL crew.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apology
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apology
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) More than Accepted :)
by flattuca / October 4, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Apology
Collapse -
Apology accepted...
by thriftyT / October 4, 2006 1:12 PM PDT

I'm sorry I missed it. Where can I get a copy?!!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Dont worry, we all make mistakes! I loved it!!!
by DROrr / October 4, 2006 7:40 AM PDT

Apology Accepted!

Collapse -
nobody's perfect...actually kinda "reality-show-ish"...
by shawnlin / October 4, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

no big deal.

I hope the Astros loose...big time.

Go Cubs!

Collapse -
Totally Accepted
by wizardjs / October 4, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

I'm not going to pretend that I don't make mistakes, so I totally forgive you guys Happy

Collapse -
In Casablanca?
by gogomama / October 4, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find there is cursing here!

Really man, it's ok.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol, great line
by wizardjs / October 4, 2006 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: In Casablanca?
Collapse -
It's cool...
by cnetter001 / October 4, 2006 7:54 AM PDT

I would have mentioned it earlier, but I thought it was an inside look or something. I liked it, but I guess that's not the point.

Collapse -
by KWGray / October 4, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

I'm quite sure that its outside of Cnet's employee guidelines or whatever. BUT I LOVED IT. Veronica, you f*cking rock!

Collapse -
Hey, Diggnation does it all the time!
by Vance14 / October 4, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

And they are a top rated podcast, so it can't be that bad!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They also have an explicit tag on iTunes now though
by gogomama / October 4, 2006 7:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just cause everybody does it???
by NursePearl / October 4, 2006 11:32 AM PDT

I totally realize it was a mistake, and BOL is still my #1 podcast but I want to put my 2 cents in with what I feel about this type of talk as "part of the show". From the 30 or so post I have seen, I some how seem to be a minority.

I have had to cancel so many podcast because of foul talk. Not just "curse" words, but sexually explisit talk.

I want TECH news, I want shows I can recommend to my friends and co-workers! I am VERY greatful to shows like BOL and TWIT who try to have a standard and don't feel like it's their "right" to lay on the trash talk (leave that to Dawn and Drew.)

Thanks you podcast who keep it clean, not just for the kids, but for 42 year olds like me!

Collapse -
Agree 100%
by shantanubala / October 4, 2006 11:57 AM PDT

You know, I could care less if this was a leaked episode, but what it really boils down to, is that keeping it clean is something I tend to like. Although some occasional cursing is actually cleaner than an 8th grade classroom, keeping it to a minimum makes the podcast more enjoyable. Sexually explicit content is a BIG No-No.

Tom, Molly, Veronica, I understand this was unintentional and I don't find anything wrong with this happening. I know something like this won't happen in the future, so I support you 100% and always will. I know how hard you try to make this a great and enjoyable podcast, and I'd rather just forget this ever happened and move on. And it wasn't really bad anyways....

Collapse -
Count Me In, Too
by friaf1111 / October 4, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

I agree with you. Many of the shows with subject matter I'm interested in are too free with cussing and swearing. To me, it takes away from the show and is like an annoying noise or artifact that must be suffered through in order to hear the content. It also gives me the impression that the hosts have limited intelligence when every other word is an explitive.

But, in this case, this was an accident. After 300 plus shows I've listened to, I can't recall when BOL had not delivered a well produced podcast previous to this one. And after what has happened, I'll bet it will be at least another 300 shows before we'll hear one like it again.

But those F bombs!

Collapse -
I do think there should be "swear free" zones, but . . .
by Vance14 / October 5, 2006 1:14 AM PDT

As someone with small children, I am glad we have large swaths of our public media that is held to "no-swearing" standards. AND, I really don't like those shows which use swearing as an obvious attempt to shock and be cool.

BUT, at the same time, I really like being able to listen to something where the speakers aren't artificially hampered by such restrictions and just talk the way they normally would. It makes it more natural and relaxed.

There was an outtake of Mr. Rogers where he was putting up a tent and when it didn't work and started falling apart, he was swearing up a storm! Not good for the kids, but important to realize he was a normal person.

Collapse -
by willingwell / October 4, 2006 8:00 AM PDT

but you don't even need to apologize for a thing. You are just being your selves and having a good time and that is what it is all about. Now only if we could have a BOL cast that is for the adults where it is the same format but unedited like today. That be sweet.

Collapse -
Apology accepted, of course!
by Haxton Bricks / October 4, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

I'm sure there's no need to drag this out. An honest mistake was made, and a sincere apology was offered and accepted. I think we can move on.

Collapse -
It is cool
by timandra / October 4, 2006 8:06 AM PDT

It is just a mistake, we all make them. Don't worry, and I hope nobody gets in any serious trouble.

Hell, I actually enjoyed it! DVD out take type material...

Anyway, chin up, no problem

Dave (the psychologist)

Collapse -
: sigh : looks like ...
by Jankylicious / October 4, 2006 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Apology going to have to do some pretty self deprecating stuff to get a copy of the original Podcast now..

: sniff :

: pulls up skirt and shows some leg ::

I feel so cheap.

You guys are great Tom. dont sweat it. We still love ya!

..especially Molly.

how YOU doing.

Collapse -
No Skewering. Not necessary.
by RodderRodder / October 4, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

It's understood. Like I said in Veronica's post, there should be a feed for the Pre-show chat. It was great! I just hope no one has to "leave" the show. I thought that's what happened to Nate from Gadgettes. I believe it wasn't, just that the timing was a coincidence.

Collapse -
I just assumed Veronica thought it was talk like sailor day.
by rwricejr / October 4, 2006 9:47 AM PDT

I'm just sayin'.

btw, I am unoffendable.

Collapse -
Collectors Item - Marked as do not auto-delete
by Owyn / October 4, 2006 10:30 AM PDT

I was wondering. Was pretty sure after I noticed the missing audio for the phone-ins.

Collapse -
I call publicity stunt!
by calbff / October 4, 2006 12:23 PM PDT

Two possibilities:

1) Publicity stunt. Whoopsies, I f***ing f***ed up.

2) Veronica has the worst luck on the planet. She is a slave to the mantra "when you are going to screw up, do it totally and completely so as to leave no hope for recovery whatsoever".

Either way, best episode yet. Nice to know you guys are "normal".

Collapse -
no need...
by joits / October 4, 2006 5:07 PM PDT

i guess since the podcast is part of CNET you guys had to apologize... but really, i'm betting most people weren't offended, but we accept your apologies and look forward to the BOL crew skewering themselves over it...

Collapse -
by spooksman / October 4, 2006 5:44 PM PDT

I thought it was one of the better shows I have heard Wink

Now we know what you guys get up to before a show...

Anyway 3....2....1......

Collapse -
by ender78 / October 4, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

I had to rewind a few times. This was the funniest pre episode talk I have seen Happy

Collapse -
Buzz Out Loud "Unplugged" should be a new podcast
by SDMahan / October 4, 2006 11:14 PM PDT

When the podcast started out with no music, I thought it was odd. Felt like Buzz Out Loud "Unplugged". When the F-bombs dropped, I almost drove off the road. I had to rewind to be sure I heard it correctly. When you got to the voicemail section I knew that this was an unedited file uploaded by mistake (that or my earbuds needed replacing).

But bottom line: I wasn't offended. I listen to Diggnation every week and find them hilarious. If CNET would allow it, I would say many of us would LOVE to subscribe to a raw version of the show. You guys could put out 2 versions, one "clean" and one "explicit". I know, CNET wouldn't want that. But I agree with many other listeners. That episode is a keeper and definately in my top ten Buzz podcasts.

Collapse -
Double take city
by SierraMike / October 4, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

Whoa, BOL! That was a wonderful 'almost drove off the highway into a ditch while staring at my iPod in disbelief' moment.

Defintely a keeper!

Collapse -
V could give Alex a run his money !
by cprimous / October 4, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

I nominate Veronica for a guest appearance on DIGGNATION, so she can really let loose.

326 will forever change the way I listen to BOL. I totally had it mixed up in my head thought Molly was the MLTDTFB (Most Likely to Drop the F Bomb). No offense Molly.

All-in-all, I enjoyed the pre-show chat.

Keep up the good work.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I think you guys should put up an explicit version.
by irafreight / October 5, 2006 12:37 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.