Computer Help forum

General discussion

Aplus.net editors choice? better to rethink that

by litzi / November 5, 2004 12:17 AM PST

1) Aplus.net is not registered with ICANN.
2) Aplus has over hundreds pages of complaints from users online.
3) My personal experience is that it is one of the worst service oriented companies that I have run into in the last 5 years. TERRIBLE, I really respect Cnet and their choice but I think in this case they made a terribile error. If anyone is in interested I have a 10 page document full of complaints and I have been with them only since the begining of september.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aplus.net editors choice? better to rethink that
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aplus.net editors choice? better to rethink that
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Aplus.net editors choice? better to rethink that
by sesiri / November 24, 2004 2:22 AM PST

can you send me that 10 page document please?

Thanks
Sesiri
email: sesiri@centuryware.com

Collapse -
aplus.net
by wobstyr / February 3, 2005 6:17 PM PST

I have been with aplus.net for 18 days now and I can honestly say, that I have never dealt with a more incompetent company in my all my career as a technical manager, their customer support is non existent. I have set up whatsup gold to monitor my "dedicated server" and it reports the server down every 15 minutes for up to 30 minutes at a time. The logs in whatsup gold prove everything and I have even sent the ?dedicated support team? at aplus.net the automatic email to show them, and I have not had one bit of response.

When I call them to ask what the story is, I get a very simple answer, ?we don?t know what the problem is, and we will try and fix it? it has been down for days now. I also signed up and paid for the firewall option, which has never been installed, is that not fraud? Taking money for a service and not providing it? I was told that they would call me, and have never received a phone call from them.

I sent the following email to the escalated support team who ignored it. I am now seeking legal representation:

?After a lengthy telephonic conversation with ?Mitkol? today at 21H00 GMT I raised the fact that, as we have not been receiving any service for which we have already paid for Period being (18th of January 2005 to date), I should then be entitled to a full refund. As there is no acceptable channel with in APLUS.NET with which I can communicate my grievances, or that there has been no response to the countless emails I have sent the support staff, I see this as breaking the contract between I and Aplus.net.

The contracted service with which I entered into with aplus.net is a monthly contract consisting of a dedicated server and firewall.

Firstly the firewall service which was contracted to me and paid for has not yet been put operational, which means I am paying for a service I am not receiving which is fraudulent on your part.

Secondly the dedicated server is by contract available for me to enter through terminal services which has not been the case; I have had no connectivity to such said services or periods of up to three to four days. As a business which is need of a constant service we cannot afford to have your so said service down at anytime and aplus.net should therefore be liable for loss of earnings due to me.

I have received no communication from your staff regarding any of my grievances, I have had to call your dedicated servers hotline and had to wait for long periods of which is costing me money as I am calling from abroad.

As I fear that this email will not be dealt with appropriately on your behalf I will ask that you do respond within 24, after which I will be seeking legal representation or will be taking my story to the relevant news agencies.?

This company should not be allowed to operate.

Collapse -
Aplus.net is nothing but a headache and nightmare
by waleedb / February 10, 2006 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: aplus.net

I had such a terrible experience with them. The customer service was terrible - The sales associate lied to me and told me that the server was compatible with mysql 4.0, to learn later after 6 days of trying to figure out the problem it wasnt - (he just told me what I wanted to hear to close the sale). The billing dept did not reply to my e-mails (they would not give me billing depts phone number) requesting a refund for services not used and when they finaly replied (after 4 e-mails) they said no way becuase the reason was "the server was misconfigured to meet my needs????" I paid for 6 months ($800) and only used it for 12 days but they will not refund a dollar. This did not make sense and still doesnt - I hope that poeple read this posting and learn from my mistake of hosting with aplus.net.

If anyone was filled a formal complaint against them please let me know because I will do the same - even if I have to pay lots of money - for me its the principal.

Collapse -
Aplus.net Formal Complaint
by jonmc12 / February 14, 2006 10:12 AM PST

I am also dumbfounded by this company. Same experience as I have read through countless times.

If anyone has taken legal action against this company please let me know how I can help.

Worst company ever. C-net should be ashamed to ever have associated itself with Aplus.net.

Collapse -
Anyone else have bad experience with Aplus.net?
by waleedb / February 17, 2006 1:52 AM PST

I think we should get a group together who were cheated by Aplus.net and figure out the best way to file a formal complaint against them - If anyone has any ideas please let me know - I will look for the most efficient avenue for this also.

Collapse -
Apology for your convenience
by aplusnet / February 22, 2006 3:47 AM PST

We deeply regret the fact that you have had an unpleasant experience and ensure you that we do everything possible to remedy the situation. Please email me personally with your name and registration number (if you have it) and I will be sure to investigate the issue further and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your patience.

Theo
Theo(at)Aplus.Net
Aplus.Net Marketing Team

Collapse -
Aplus.net Followup
by jonmc12 / April 28, 2006 2:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
If you don't believe the bad things you hear about aplus.net
by stopaplus / August 25, 2006 9:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
Apology for your inconvenience
by aplusnet / February 17, 2006 7:15 AM PST

We deeply regret the fact that you have had an unpleasant experience and ensure you that we do everything possible to remedy the situation. Please email me personally with your name and registration number (if you have it) and I will be sure to investigate the issue further and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your patience.

Theo
Theo(at)Aplus.Net
Aplus.Net Marketing Team

Collapse -
I wouldn't recommend my worst enemies rabid dog to aplus.net
by stopaplus / August 25, 2006 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: aplus.net
Collapse -
Not really the proper forum for this...
by Edward ODaniel / February 4, 2005 12:14 AM PST

as this doesn't have much to do with computer assistance.

You might better discuss your issues through this link http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6533_7-5019994-1.html?tag=txt or in one of the Web Developement or Internet services forums http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7600_7-5565323-1.html

I think too that you might carefully consider accusations you have made:

"FREE Domain Name Registration
Aplus.Net is an official ICANN-accredited domain name registrar (DNR). This gives us the ability to register your new domain name once we receive your order. One domain name is included free of charge with each hosting plan."

In your assessment of not being registered did you pause to consider that Aplus.Net is a division of Abacus America, Inc. ? I don't think so.

Collapse -
Ed O! What does the fact that
by Ray Harinec / February 4, 2005 5:59 AM PST

Aplus.Net is a Division of Abacus America, Inc have to do with it??? And who ever heard of Abacus of America??????? Who cares????

Collapse -
Parent companies are often the...
by Edward ODaniel / February 4, 2005 1:04 PM PST

registrar of record Ray.

Collapse -
Don't make the same mistake I made with Aplus.net
by waleedb / February 10, 2006 4:11 AM PST

At first Aplus.net seemed like a legitmate company that offered great service, great product at a great price - Boy was I mistaken on all 3 of these. Service was terrible: At times it was very difficult to even understand the customer service reps b/c there was a huge english barrier (the sales reps spoke english well - don't let that fool you). The dedicated server I got was for $135 but then when I tried uploading my site it turned out that the server was not compatible with Mysql 4.0 (which is the new standard in the world - unless I paid addiiotnal $150 to "maybe get it to work"). It took customer service about 7 calls to figure it out as the sales rep told me "of course it is compatible with mysql4.0." So, realy the server is outdated. Well, in terms for price - since service and product was terrible I totally got ripped off and anything more than a cent for this is a rip off.

So In short - Do yourself a favor and dont use with aplus.net unless you want a major headache -

Collapse -
Apology for your inconvenience
by aplusnet / February 22, 2006 3:48 AM PST

Theo
Theo(at)Aplus.Net
Aplus.Net Marketing Team

Collapse -
Aplus.Net is Dishonest and Exploits Customers & Workers
by berkfan / June 21, 2006 2:13 AM PDT

This story is no surprise to me. Having used Aplus and seeing how the company works, it's no surprise. This company is family-run, by unscrupulous Bulgarians who have emigrated to the US. While the techncial operation is partially in the US, all customer support and other admin functions happen in Sofia, Bulgaria.

While there is no regard for honesty or US laws in the company, Aplus is equally exploitive of workers in Bulgaria. THe amount of hours that people work there for as little as $200/month is shocking. In addition, it's customer be damned all around. Stay away from them unless you don't care about your web site or your business. Their "money-back guarantee" is anything but that. Not only do they not honor their own claims, but they refuse to prorate for unused service.

I had a hosting plan for months with them. All of a sudden, with no change in my web site, Aplus started trying to extort money from me. They claimed that my site was using too many "CPU minutes". My bandwidth and disk space usage, which is all that you are privy to before signing up, were at 2% of allowed max. So, they send me a letter stating that I have to upgrade and pay more or they will shut my site down in ONE WEEK. So, I call Bulgaria and talk to a customer service rep, and we agree to let me go to a higher plan, but not the reconmmended plan in the email.

So, I upgrade, am immediately charged $35, and think everything's fine. 2 days later, the site is shut down with no notice of any kind. I call, and they say "well we sent the email, too bad what the customer service rep said." You must upgrade again!! So they collected my money, then shut down the site anyway, then made me pay more again to turn it back on. But wait, it gets better. Now the site is back on, and one week alter, I get ANOTHER email, saying I have to upgrade to a Dedicated server for another $60 per month or they will shut me down in a week. Talk about extortion!!

So, when I upgraded the first two times, I was assured the the 30-day money back guarantee shown on the site would be honored if I cancelled within the 30-days. So, after the last letter, I moved to a nice web host, asmallorange.com and cancel Aplus. Lo and behold, they say no money-back guarantee and no prorate for the unused service (3 months worth) even though I was on the new plan for ONE WEEK!!

Stay away, don't think about using Aplus, don't do business with them, don't work for them, run the other way, and don't turn your back when you run, or they'll pick your pocket. Me, I'm going to dispute the charges on my Platinum Card...

Collapse -
Contemplating class action suit against Aplus
by Dissatisfied Customer / January 29, 2008 11:46 AM PST

I think most of us have had a horrific experience with the company. From apparent gross negligence to false support claims, we need to protect ourselves from such businesses. Our company's has been down for 2 weeks already and emails for the period lost due to a server "migration" problem. Blamed for not having backup data and urgent requests for support ignored repeatedly. Will be posting an update shortly. Anyone interested in pursuing a class action against this company welcome. Consumers have the right to be protected.

Collapse -
I concur
by lamottjackson / May 9, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

I totally agree with what you're saying in regards to this issue. They did the same thing to me & a friend of mine. Neither of us had any type of major traffic on our sites to justify them (aplus) freezing my account & booting me. Please PM me with any info on this class action suit as I'm very interested in being part of it. Thank you.

Collapse -
Need Help A Plus nightmare
by semco123 / August 22, 2009 10:51 AM PDT

Could someone help me please? I am having a night mare situation with aplus.net. They are holding hostage 55 URL addresses of mine and I can get NO help in transfering them.

All the contact information is wrong, preventing me from transferring them to another place.

The VP, Russell is abusive, rude, condescending, insulting and impossible to work with.

I can find no corporate information even though they list their home office in Florida. I cannot find any real telephone listing under the ABACUS AMERICA, INC. corporate name, the dba names4ever or aplus.net

Can someone please direct me what to do.

Thank you.

Semco123

Collapse -
Ms. Abraham...
by RLG-Aplus / August 23, 2009 1:17 AM PDT

You have full access to the Control Panel and you can do whatever you wish with your domains. Aplus.Net is not holding your domains "hostage". If you are having difficulty using the Control Panel all you have to do is call support and they will assist you. I asked only to be notified when contacted by you so I can make sure the domains transfer withour issue. You can update your contact information, change domain passwords (AuthCodes), or any other action you wish to take.

You neglect to reveal that you registered these domains through a reseller that we were legally forced to discontinue services with due to the reseller not supporting their customers, charging their customers for renewals and not renewing the domains with us, and for whom we had many customers of their's complaining about lost domains and non-response from the reseller. We also paid redemption fees to save many of your domains as the reseller had let them lapse into redemption.

It also appears that you are not aware that Aplus.Net has been acquired by Hostopia, which is why you are seeing the corporate information as being in Florida. However, we are only beginning to migrate customers to their platforms and systems so all domain registration is still being handled by the legacy Aplus.Net company and staff. That information is as follows:

Aplus.Net/Names4Ever
7500 West 110th St. Suite 400
Overland Park, Ks. 66210
913-890-7700

Regards,

Russ Gilman
Sr. V.P. Customer Care
Aplus.Net/Codero

Collapse -
A Plus Help
by semco123 / August 24, 2009 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Ms. Abraham...

Yes, Mr. Gilman, finally on Sunday mid morning you allowed a technical person to speak to me. After several trouble shooting e-mails, it is determined it is not my error, but something in your system and will not allow me to make needed changes. They are escalating it up to a higher technical person to determine what the problem is.

Thank you for allowing someone to speak to me.

I am waiting for them to investigate and fix the problem.

I am fully aware who owns APlus, actually Deluxe Company, a publicly traded company, DLX

Deluxe Corporation
3680 Victoria Street North
Shoreview MN 55126
P: +1651.4837111
F: +1651.4814371

Again, thank you for allowing someone in your technical department trouble shoot to determine there is a problem in your system. Hopefully it will be resolved soon and I can move on.

Sincerely,

Semco.

Collapse -
APlus.net
by semco123 / August 24, 2009 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: A Plus Help

Mr. Gilman, you failed to mention the reseller was an authorized reseller of your product. And you also failed to mention it was over six months later that you notified me that you had problems with your reseller.

You assume that all businesses check each and every URL on a frequent basis, but in my opinion, that does not take place unless they are in the internet business.

I am a publisher, not in the internet business and paid for this to be taken care of for me.

I am terribly sorry you were put in the position to take away all the accounts from the reseller, and also glad you took some action, however, how you continue to put the responsibility of your authorized reseller's actions on your clients is puzzling to me.

After all, he was your reseller, not mine. Also this reseller had a major stroke, I have discovered, so many of the mistakes he made could be due to that.

Maybe that is so or maybe not, however, it is my goal for your company to figure out what is wrong in your system preventing me from making the needed changes to my domains so I can move them to a company who meets my business needs

I have also submitted to you a number of domains that are missing from my account along with the "who is"information provided by internic. Hopefully you can help with those as well. Some of which are registered with you, some which are now registered to no one.

Also, during the 6 month period that I did not know anything was going on, you established me a "master account" including all the domains you could find. Thank you for doing that, however, one of those domains I have lost. I was never notified that a transfer had been requested, nor did I authorize a transfer, yet the notice was sent to you. It was a very desirable address that i have owned for many years. I ask you who authorized that transfer and you insist it was me. How could it have been me, all the contact information is wrong. However, your company could have contacted me months prior to the time you did, as my telephone number and address have not changed in 15 years.

During the first phone call your company finally made to me, that address was one of the one's in danger, however, it did not get addressed.

Regards.

Collapse -
Aplus.net
by semco123 / August 27, 2009 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: APlus.net

More to come. And it doesn't look good........

Collapse -
Hoping you can help
by Drew Kime / September 20, 2009 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Ms. Abraham...

Mr. Gilman,

I have spent 12 hours on the phone with APlus support over the past 4 days trying to resolve this problem. The DNS manager application in the new version of the control panel is generating invalid zone files. This has knocked my site completely offline, including all incoming email being silently dropped. In addition, due to the missing information, several registrars are now showing my domain as available for purchase.

My contact information is in support ticket 1502048. Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 support have told me only a system administrator can make the necessary changes without going through the (broken) DNS manager app. But none of them have been able to get a response from an administrator. Perhaps you will be able to.

Drew Kime

Collapse -
Mr. Kime...
by RLG-Aplus / September 21, 2009 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Hoping you can help

As I believe you are aware, your hosting has been migrated to the new platform. I apologize if you are having difficulties.

I have alerted the GM and Escalation Manager for Aplus.Net and asked them to have a Supervisor contact you this morning.

Regards,

Russ Gilman
Sr. V.P. Customer Care

Collapse -
Seems to be resolved
by Drew Kime / September 21, 2009 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Mr. Kime...

Thank you for getting the sysadmins to address this. As I said in an email to you and Phil Spencer -- though I see I had your email address wrong -- I'm still disappointed it took personal intervention from a VP to fix a serious problem. A problem, by the way, that I diagnosed four days ago, and demonstrated to at least a half-dozen different people.

I hope I don't have to use your escalation process again, but I trust that it will be more useful, should the need arise.

Thanks again for getting this problem (finally) fixed.

Drew Kime

Collapse -
Hoping you can help #2?
by Tomcomm / September 21, 2009 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Hoping you can help

Mr. Gilman,
Going on eight days of upgrade related problems. Have issued numerous ticket #'s , some resolved, but as of today, emails continue to be lost. We can send but they don't go through and don't bounce back. People send email to us, we don't receive and they don't bounce back. The damage to organization is irreparable. This is for all emails under our account. I can't get answers as to when this will be fixed. I need action/assistance to correct, and we need lost emails recovered, sent and timestamped. please help. Open ticket # 1502138. Thank you.
Tomcomm

Collapse -
FYI
by semco123 / September 21, 2009 11:38 PM PDT

Mr. Gilman is not a VP of the company, only a VP of customer service.

If you continue to have problems, you can ask for your account to be moved to the new Hostopia platform immediately. It eliminates your contact with aplus.

Hostopia purchased the company and is slowly trying to move everyone from the aplus platform to their platform.

I anticipate it will be much better.

Collapse -
Need information...
by RLG-Aplus / September 22, 2009 12:01 AM PDT

Tomcomm,

Please provide information so I can locate your account. Registration number, domain name hosted, etc.

Regards,

Russ Gilman

Collapse -
Re: Need Information
by Tomcomm / September 22, 2009 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Need information...

Mr. Gilman:

Account info: AP3467414390
Domain: ibew21.org
Open ticket # 1502138 lost emails

Thank you,

Tomcomm
Thomas Hopper

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.