Site Feedback forum

General discussion

API for developers needing to monitor many PCs?

by Jim Hubbard / January 24, 2010 12:55 PM PST

Is there an API for developers needing to monitor several machines for small businesses?

I need to monitor about 25 PCs. I am the lone "IT guy" by default for the two locations of our small company.

Asking each user to run this on his/her own will never happen. So that leaves either an API or just making up email addresses and getting the app to email these addresses and having all forwarded to me.

I can do that, but a developer API would be better.

If it is a paid service, drivers will have to be included.

Until I get a positive reply here, I will be working on my own little app to give this ability to small IT guys like myself.

Thanks for your time!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: API for developers needing to monitor many PCs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: API for developers needing to monitor many PCs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, there isn't...
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2010 3:28 AM PST

In fact, at this time, TechTracker is designed to only support a single computer per Cnet account and can have issues if multiple people are behind the same router. An update is planned to support 3 computers per account and address networking issues, but I have not heard of any plans to support business-level infrastructures. Personally, I prefer UpdateStar, which is the most complete update application I have found, but it too lacks such IT administrative options.

Collapse -
We support three computers per account -
by CNET_TechTracker / January 25, 2010 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: No, there isn't...

Thanks for stepping in here, John - just one slight correction: We launched support for three computers in December, so this is now a feature with the free service. We also seem to be doing fine on the networking front right now.

Jim, thank you for your input! John is correct in that our current plans are focused on our three-machine service. Should you have further questions, you are also welcome to contact our technical support team through a support ticket at

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Thanks to you both....
by Jim Hubbard / January 25, 2010 10:49 AM PST

Thanks for the replies.

As for UpdateStar - it is woefully lacking in its ability to spot apps that need updating. I ran a little test that will tell you why I say that.

On one of my test PCs I ran File Hippo and found 3 needed updates. on the same PC I ran UpdateStar that found 7 outdated apps. Then I ran CNET's TechTracker that found 13 needed updates.

Even then, some apps are (understandably) still not caught. And some apps like SmartDefrag by Iobit (a very popular package) shows version 1.3 as being the latest, when that is not the case at all.

There is a real need for something like this to track ALL applications. And, while I know that is a large task, I think I may have found a way to make it almost automatic.

I also think that this database of apps and versions should be made available to any developer that wants to use it. I mean, what's the harm in letting people know what new app is available? Doing just that will also be my goal.

I will be testing a prototype this week and will let you know how it comes along.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I am also looking for a similar thing,
by saadusman16 / June 9, 2011 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to you both....

Hi Jim,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.