TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Aperion Intimus 633-T Tower Speaker vs. Klipsch RF-7 ?????

by trw_larry / February 18, 2007 11:57 AM PST

Hey gang,

I come to this forum often to see which product suggestions you guys come up with. I need your opinions and expertise. I never heard of Aperion before until CNET who gave rave reviews of a speaker package they carry. I went to their site and the reviews posted say the same, that they are excellent speakers. The best you can buy for that price.
I happened upon a site that talk about the Klipsch RF-7 as some of the best spakers you can buy.
Does anyone know firsthand what the best is. I keep hearing that you must audition and see what sounds best to you but I don't have a trained ear for that sort of thing so I would not be able to distinguish whether I'm getting ripped off or not.
I really don't want to spend more than $3000 for speakers right now.
I also want to use these speakers mainly for movies, video games, and music. I'd prefer to have 7.1 running. As far as a receiver, I will purchasing the Denon AVR4306.

Let me know what you think...

P.S. Thoughts on speaker wire would help also (Straight wire???)

Thanks guys

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aperion Intimus 633-T Tower Speaker vs. Klipsch RF-7 ?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aperion Intimus 633-T Tower Speaker vs. Klipsch RF-7 ?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what your goals are, or what you do have, or budget
by NM_Bill / February 18, 2007 1:51 PM PST

I have a Denon 4806. Way much overkill, but hey, I'm an audio wannabe for 45 years.

Thed sweet spot 2807 as c/net calls it would do just fine, leavng money for the all important choice of speakers. They are the most personal part of the A/V rig. Surely Aperion must be good to get the rave reviews. But, don't jump into a pig in a poke without investing some serious listening time auditioning available speakers in your price range.

Would that hold your enthusiam back? Maybe. But you owe it to yourself to intelligently select the speakers most desirable to you. If successful, you will not have the urge to replace them for many years. Components depreciate like gangbusters. TV technology is still moving fast, as is their price curves to become more affordable.

You might consider speakers expensive until put in perspective of outlasting say four TVs for instance.You may an enthuiast who really wants 7.1. I prefer a room which still is normal room, not a dedicated home theater. In any event 5.1 suffices in all the the largest of spaces, though home thearter guys want all the extra surround channels.

The Aperions do have the 30 in home trial feature as do some others who sell direct. Klipsch surely has made some of the classiest speakers over the years. Fine, absoluteiy. I'd say 50 brand names in speakers are in the really fine area. Before you jump, you really do need to learn so as not to jump too fast. Your ears are amateur but deserve some training by simply taking along a couple od CDs you are very familiar with & love. Make sure one of them is heavy on vocals as the human voice isn't extreme high or low but subtle & not that easy to reproduce.

Do not audition more than three a day, confusion is all too easy. Vary volume some but don't just blast away. You will soon get the hang of what's called listening fatigue. That probably comes from some poorer attribute of the speaker that was thin in some part of the range, harsh or strained, has boomy bass, & the list goes on.

Any decent large enough not to choke the signal speaker wire works fine. Do not under any circumstance let anyone try to tell you you need some high end premium speaker wire, especially if it's called Monster Cable. OK, yes. Not nearly the best by exacting high end testing & very high profit margin! Fat profit is why they push it.

I've rea dmany an online speaker review. The hoidy-toidy reviewer spend pages sayhing pretty much of nothing. It's just opinion. Above the threshold of more than minimal it's all about opinion. Yours can work as well as some "expert."

Find some good speaker resources & invest some time. I recommend at least some of that listening be at a well experienced independent audio dealer. They are already survivoras of the big boxes draining away much foot traffic. No guarantees, but many a good, quite good. A guy like my local favorites will save you confusion, time & maybe money. He'll tell you what not to be concerned about. 3isten to everything he says about his better quality speakers than you typically find aroung the big boxes.

From an old timer, hope you take this to heart. Take some time & effort & buy right for you, not for anyone else. They're not going to pay for it are they? Please post back with a progress report.

Collapse -
hi cackerot
by jostenmeat / February 18, 2007 3:02 PM PST

You are where I was about 2 months ago, hehe. Yep, the most important and ONLY way is to listen for yourself. If you see the same speakers at a different store that you liked, or even hated(!), try a demo again. It happened to me already, same speakers- different store. Huge difference of impressions. The room, positioning of speakers, and electronics could play a part. Ok, too much info, but luckily for you it does starts out with the speakers themselves. Choose those first. Everything else is after.

Then again, many seem to say that an audition in YOUR own living room is the only way. Some speakers are easier to set up "just right" than others, and lots of wood/glass/cement could make normally good sounding speakers come out too bright, for instance. It does make shopping more difficult for me, because at my local Tweeter for instance I can return after 30 days, but not so with out-of-stock/special-order items.

denon is very well regarded, but some opinions ive read on speakers ive been considering say that so-and-so brand receiver doesnt sound great with brand so-and-so speaker. Denon included. It seems that some speakers are less finicky about what powers them. When you settle on a speaker, you can try an AVS owner's thread for possible recommendations. (Am I scaring him Bill?)

Finally, I would reread Bill's post again. Like bringing your own music. I had no problem listening to 5 sets of speakers, with 3 cd's, but then again my life has been comsumed by music for the most part.
If you really can't hear the differences in quality and/or preferences in the end... maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere...

Collapse -
by trw_larry / February 19, 2007 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: hi cackerot

Thanks guys. I'm a patient guy so I will heed your advice and try some speakers out. Speakers do tend to out live a lot of other technological devices. I just recently got a Sony 60'XBR2 RPTV and then I see that Mitsubishi has a very good set out. Unlike the reviewers on CNET I actually like the Sony's speakers on the side but it is a subjective matter.
You're both coorect. It boils down to personal opinion. I guess I was hoping some audiophile had listened to both speakers and had some information that I haven't read about. I think I can't go wrong either way but I'll spend some momre time listening. Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how this goes. Happy

Collapse -
The last sentence of your post should be framed & mandatory
by NM_Bill / February 19, 2007 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: hi cackerot

To repeat:

"If you can't really hear the ditterences in quality and/or preferences in the end...maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere."

Collapse -
Klipsch RF-7's
by joemajestic / February 19, 2007 4:32 AM PST

I am replying only to give you some feedback on the Klipsch RF-7's. I purchased the RF-7's (I also have the RC-7 Center and RS-7 Surrounds) about 3 years ago from Tweeter. At the time, these were the best sounding speakers (to my ear) that the two Tweeter stores in my area offered. I compared them with several brands that cost twice as much but could not hear any improvement in overall sound quality. One down-side to the RF-7's is their size and weight. The towers are very heavy and difficult to move on carpet.

I recently upgraded my HDTV to the new Mitsubishi WD-65831 and looked high and low for a TV stand that could hold the massive RC-7 Center Channel speaker. I finally found a stand but beware of the size and weight of these babies.

I use a Klipsch RSW-10 subwoofer and the combination of all the Klipsch speakers is really spectacular for home theater. But that is of chores my humble opinion. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
That was a lot of help...
by trw_larry / February 19, 2007 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Klipsch RF-7's

Thanks joemajestic for bringing up the weight issue. I'm a fairly strong guy so moving them shouldn't be too much of an issue but, I move a lot and don't want to throw my back out. The moving thing is also an issue because as you guys know, your carpet, walls and other home feature effect the sound.
In any event, I would like a good sounding set of speakers and it appears that I can't go wrong. I will listen to both and make a determination from that.

How's that WD-65831? It sounds really cool. I wish I had a friend that had one so I could see some of it's cool Twin View features. That PC to HDMI would be a God send on my XBR2.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll be headed to the store after work. C ya.

Collapse -
Intimus 633-T experience
by medwardo / March 21, 2008 8:28 AM PDT

While I have never heard the Klipsch speakers (although I fondly remember hearing my first Klipschorn years ago), I did recently buy a pair of 633-Ts to replace an aging set of Dahlquist DQ10s that finally wore out (I've had them for 20+ years). I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money and was intrigued by the positive reviews of the Intimus speakers.

While the 633-Ts don't (yet?) have the wonderful detailed midrange or the spooky "sound in the room, not coming from a speaker" sense of the DQ's, they more than make up for it with dynamics and details. At first they were a bit harsh, but they have mellowed a bit and the midrange and imaging has improved as they broke in. At this point, I'm very happy considering the $1K per pair cost.

Are they everything I'd ever want in a speaker no, but they meet my bar: $1K and very, very musical sounding with lots of punch for movies and most kinds of music. They image well and project the sound into the room convincingly, but are a bit fussy on room placement and so you have to move them about a bit to find the right spot (just like most speakers).

Bass on the 633-Ts is very tight, fast, and has loads of impact. When I first got them, I didn't even realize that I had the subwoofer turned off! For most music, they don't need a sw, but for movies or if you're an electic bass fan like I am, the sub offers that extra room-moving punch. But for most uses, the 633Ts have plenty of bass.

Speaker wire: I can't recommend Signal Cable (google it)cables enough. While they perform at the levels of much more expensive cables, they are very reasonably priced. Again, at this point, I'm all about best performance for the money and signal cable is worth it. I've done all my speaker wire, interconnects, and power cords with signal cable gear...makes a huge difference. Monster Cable cables are a rip off IMHO and signal cable is competitively priced with MC.

FWIW - my experience with speakers that have horns is that they tend to be harsh and overly bright, especially with vocals. But again, I haven't heard the RF7s.

The real test is what sounds good to you. And, more specifically, what sounds good in your listening room. Since Aperion has a 30d money back guarantee (don't know if you can get that with the RF7s), why not give them a try. I did and I'm not sending them back. In fact, I've ordered the new 5Ts for the back channels and just fired them up last night. So far, so very, very good.

Collapse -
It has to be the best for your ears.
by NM_Bill / March 22, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

I have not personally heard the Aperions that C/NET raves about. Klipsch is a long known quality brand known for high efficiency. Klipsch, especially, has its own characteristic sound. I have to say I have heard Klipsch recently & I don't care for its sound. Thart's just me, perhaps not you at all.

A Feb 2008 article in online Playback magazine from The Perfect Vision folks is specifically about bookshelf speakers under $1000 but features a core group of the finest performance at value brands. Those brands are worthy of seeking out to audition. Go to:

The featured brands: Dynaudio, Paradigm, Usher, Aperion, Energy, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Polk, PSB, B&W (Bowers & Wilkens,) Focal & NHT are prime brands to consider.

At this price range do not fuss about speaker wire. You needn't go for expensive, exotic stuff. I would get 14 (preferably) or 16 gauge speaker wire (which is labeled specifically as speaker, not general purpose wire) from Home Depot. Speaker wire is braided in a specific manner because there is a small but legitimate factor called skin effect. Do not even consider Monster Cable or other premium price brands. You do not need the tiny margin of deluxeness at obscenely high profit margin for the sellers. That is why they usually push it.

Up to a point, more expensive will sound better. This is an important project for you. Get out there & listen to your CD music you are intimately familiar with. It must have substantial vocal, perferably some female as well as male. Rock & Roll music is mostly a bad choice because it is mixed in many strange ways.

If you are willing to go near $3000, you will have some subtle hearing decisions to make but will wind up with great sound for at least a decade of pleasure. Trust your instincts. If you think you heard distortion - you did. Vocals are mid-range but very difficult to reproduce perfectly. The probably most common speaker fault is called sibilence. It is about voice sounding like that person has a lisp or even the sound just breaking down. If a speaker can't do mid-range right, do not even waste a moment of concern the highs & lows. Mid-range comes first.

Hey, keep us posted.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.