TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD vs Onkyo 9100THX

by C-Lo13 / July 13, 2009 12:55 PM PDT

Has anyone had any experience with both the Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD and the Onkyo 9100THX? I had originally planned on picking up the Onkyo system, however after many rave reviews of the Aperion speakers I am curious if it is worth spending the extra $1000 on the Aperion set and a receiver (Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K) over the Onkyo complete system. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD vs Onkyo 9100THX
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD vs Onkyo 9100THX
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bump
by C-Lo13 / July 20, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

bump

Collapse -
I have the same question... My conclusions... Any others?
by countersniper308 / January 31, 2010 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: bump

I had the exact same question. I to am rather new to the market and the last A/V set up i bought was in the 90's. Therefore I have been doing a TON of research since sooo much has changed.

My personal opinion after all my research is that the Onkyo is not designed to compete with the Aperion set up. It's like comparing apples to oranges cliche. Maybe I'm wrong about this but its my conclusion as of 3 weeks of research.

I think the Aperion would sound better. How much better, I don't know. The problem I'm having is that I can't find any dealer around here that has the Onkyo system for me to listen to. Obviously I can't listen to the Aperions unless I order them and the receiver.

So, I have made the decision to buy the Onkyo soon. This is because without hearing the difference in person I can't justify on my budget spending $1000.00 more even though it might be worth it.

I will be using the system as a home theater system in a 12'x20' room for 80% of the time. The rest of the time will be used for listening to music.

Anyone else think I'm on the right track? Any relies would be nice.

Collapse -
I have Aperions and I wholeheartedly recommend them
by minimalist / January 31, 2010 11:42 AM PST

I don't have the same setup (I have 6B fronts, a 5C center, 4B surrounds and a a 10D sub) but Aperion speakers are rock solid. Much heavier than you would suspect and the sound is big with deep low end punch (but never boomy) smooth midrange and never any signs of strain even at high volume with uncompressed blu-ray audio. The tower designs of the 4T's make them sound much bigger than you would ever expect.

Onkyo makes great amps (I have a 706 driving my Aperions in fact) and the 9100 THX is probably the best sounding HTIB for that price. But Onkyo is essentially an electonics company, not a speaker maker. Aperion does just speakers and they do themn really well. So I'm not sure you can really compare the two. The Aperions sound will be a sizable step up form the Onkyo's.

If you can afford it I don;t think you will regret paying a bit more for an Aperion system.

Collapse -
Aperions
by bearvp / February 1, 2010 1:36 AM PST

The Aperions will give you much better sound than the Onkyo HTIB set. They shouldn't even be compared because the Onkyo HTIB set is basically a small budget solution to okay home theater audio. Building your own home theater system with a separate receiver and quality speakers will sound SO much better.

Also to note that you do not need to buy an Aperion subwoofer. Matching brands/lines within the speakers is important for voice-matching, but the subwoofer can be a different brand. You would get so much more sub for the money than what Aperion is wanting to charge you. Check out HSU and Elemental Designs for really good subwoofer companies. Just double check their sub sizes because quality subs are huge and heavy suckers so you will want to make sure you can fit them in your room.

Collapse -
HSU subs are indeed a great deal.
by minimalist / February 1, 2010 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Aperions

That would help you save a few dollars or make what you get for 1600 even more impressive.

Collapse -
Look at it this way.
by minimalist / February 1, 2010 2:43 AM PST

At a minimum that's likely 400 dollar or so amp that comes with the 9100THX. So you're getting those 8 speakers for about 600 dollars (700 tops). How good can they really be when compared to 6 speakers that cost 1600?

Collapse -
Thanks and one more thing...
by countersniper308 / February 1, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Look at it this way.

Thanks for the input. I agree with you both that the two systems are not even in the same category. I think I'm going to hold off and get the Aperions and do some homework on a better sub set up as suggested.

I'm also thinking either the

Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html?tag=centerColumnArea1.1 Averaging around $500

or the

Oknyo TX-SR707c http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR707&class=Receiver&p=i Averaging around $650

to drive the speakers. I don't want anything fancy, just terrific sound so the speakers can be put to their potential. The only trouble I'm having is finding them in stock somewhere.

One more thing - I know I shouldn't get cought up too much in the numbers but the THD for the Pioneer is 0.05% and the Onkyo is 0.08%. Should I be too woried about the Onkyo being a little higher or am I just over analyzing at this point? Again, I'm just getting back into this game from the 90's equipment I have so sorry if its a stupid question.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
another thing I noticed...
by countersniper308 / February 1, 2010 7:26 AM PST

I can't find any specs on the Pioneer's signal-to-noise ratio...? Hmmm...

Collapse -
I think you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference in
by minimalist / February 1, 2010 9:20 AM PST

those specs. They are both going to be good receivers. I'd buy based on which one has the best feature set. The amazingly helpful Aperion reps tended to recommend Onkyo and Denon's to run their speakers when I spoke with them (I don't think there is anything in it for them, they don;t sell anything buy speakers).

Collapse -
Thanks!
by countersniper308 / February 1, 2010 10:43 AM PST

Thanks for all the input (everyone). I'll let you all know how it works out. Best Regards!

Collapse -
Let us know how you like the Aperions when you finally get
by minimalist / February 1, 2010 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

them. I think you'll be really happy with them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.