Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Aol With Vista

by nancydnv / September 23, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

Hello, My Question is , which AOL software is Compatible with Vista 64 Bit ( 9.0vr ,9.1 ,10.1 ) Iam running Vista Home premium I have an AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad- core processor with 6144MB memory 750 GB hard drive Nvidia GeForce 9300GE which AOL version would be best Thank's A Million on you thought Nancy C....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aol With Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aol With Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you mean
by Jimmy Greystone / September 23, 2008 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Aol With Vista

Do you mean the full AOL as an ISP software, or just independent programs like AOL Instant Messenger?

If it's the former, you're probably best off asking AOL or getting a "real" ISP. If it's the latter, you're probably better off using an alternative like Pidgin or Trillian (though I did have some issues getting Trillian 3.1 to work on my system with Vista x64).

Collapse -
aol and vista
by nancydnv / September 23, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you mean

I have an account paid subscriber and not sure which AOL versions are best with vista 64 bit just bought a new desk top PC thank you Nancy C

Collapse -
(NT) AOL 9.1 and AOL Desktop 10.1 should both be fine.
by John.Wilkinson / September 23, 2008 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: aol and vista
Collapse -
AOL will not launch (Vsta 64 bit)
by frank2236 / October 10, 2008 1:40 PM PDT

When launch AOL 9.1 get error message "AOL Software has stopped working A problem cased the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

This has been happening for several months. It will sometimes correct itself and run properly later. Have tried AOL's quick restore, uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting, ending all processes with aol in the name. AOL tech support seems worthless regarding this matter.

Have over 45,000 emails in the aol file so really do not want to leave aol after maybe 20 years but if they cannot fix this, will have to leave.

Equipment - HP Pavilion m9280m 8 gb memory 1 tb on board hard drives plus 3 tb on usb drives Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Have upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 bit - might that help?

Collapse -
AOL + Vista 64 bit
by GeorgeKnighton / November 12, 2008 8:21 PM PST

AOL 9.1 and Desktop work perfectly in the Vista 32 bit environment, but both clients have problems in the 64 bit environment provided by either Vista or Windows 7.

Between the two, the 9.1 client is less buggy in the 64 bit environment. But if you can't get it to work, I'm afraid you're out of luck unless you want to restore your machine all the way back to its original configuration and try to install 9.1 again.

I fully understand and sympathise with people who want to keep using AOL clients...they were marvelous bits of programming in their day.

However, at some point we might have to face the fact that AOL does not have the money to throw at high quality programming anymore, especially after making that horrible Desktop thing. I've got more and more used to having Outlook as my all-in-one client, and I'd respectfully suggest that most people who rely on AOL mail should do the same thing.

AOL mail is still the best, but their programming is not and they have *never* fully addressed all the 64 bit problems.

Collapse -
Rethink your files
by B Pilgrim / December 7, 2008 4:00 AM PST

Your comment "Have over 45,000 emails in the aol file" is a sign that you keep way too much. If a lot of those files have attachments, save them to a folder of the computer or second drive and get rid of the email item itself. Saving that much mail is a good way to help things slow down, clog up, and get corrupted.

Collapse -
45000 aol emails
by frank2236 / December 8, 2008 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Rethink your files

the 45000 emails saved on my computer do not include attachments.
I think AOL only saves the attachment link when I save it on my computer. Thus if the attachment is still on AOL's site, I can download it. When I save it on AOL's site, the email does contain the attachment.

The entire aol file containing all 45,000 emails is only 683,275k

Collapse -
AOL Refuses to reliably open in Vista 32 BIT or 64 Bit
by Octagonpeg / February 7, 2009 8:51 AM PST

Since I have been usiing Vista, I keep getting Software errors with eh Microsoft Message that "the software has stopped working". This is ionly happening with AOL and I am positive after a new complete reinstall of Vista from scratch, that this is NOT a VISTA issue but rather n AOL issue.

I only use AOL because I have 9 years of data in my PC stored data cabinets and on AOL's servers.

I am ready to give it up for good.

1- Does anyone know how to migrate or get my SAVED on AOL e-mails into another application?

2- can anyone really recommend a good e-mail client? Yes I know about Yahoo, and G-mail and Thunderbird, but damn, AOL was really simple to use and easy to change screen names and even thought I am quite technically savvy, it just made at least my e-mail easy.

Any replies please send to ....yup......OCTAGONPEG@aol.com!

P.S. AOL DESKTOP ( which I hate ) DOES indeed open each and every time in VISTA. I am only having a problem with 9.1.

I have used and reinstalled it multiple times and it "don't" matter. Also if you install version 9.0 you will get an ENGLISH WOMANS voice telling you that YOU'VE GOT MAIL" and not our lifelong male buddy". Just an odd fact, biut I think 9.0 was intended for the United Kingdom.

Collapse -
Aol on 64 bit OS
by hockey1767 / March 12, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

I am using a beta of Windows 7 64 bit (build 7000) I tried from AOl 7 to AOL 9.1 and none worked right, then I tried AOL 9.0 vr and it has worked fine. Windows 7 is similar to Vista so you may want to give AOL 9vr a try. I'm not sure if it's my hardware set up, or something elseBelow are the current specs of my 64 bit machine:

Motherboard: ECS GeForce6100PM-M2
Chipset: nVidia 6100V
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @ 2700 MHz
RAM: 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-PC 6400 Kingston)
Video Card: Nvidia Corp (on board)
Sound: on board (MCP61 High Defination Audio)
Hard drive: Western Digital 40 gig SATA
Operating System: Windows 7 Beta (build 7000)
DirectX: Version 10.00
Protection: Windows Firewall, Avast Antivirus

---------------------------------------

Collapse -
I feel sorry for AOL users...
by JCitizen / December 7, 2008 4:18 AM PST

I've seen so much trouble for my clients that most of them leave, and never look back. They no longer have problems either.

The problem is so many ISPs like it and Earthlink seem to think they have to supply this porthole into the internet and all it does is end up corrupting the operating system so bad you have no choice but to wipe and reinstall.

Now AT&T is finding out that providing substandard utilities is losing business for them as well; as they have been experimenting with new AV solutions for their clients like CA antivirus.

I wish them luck and all the AOL victims out there. No one should keep just one email account; always have a web-based email like Yahoo!,hotmail, or gmail to back up your ISP email. That way it makes it easier to migrate to competitors. These companies like to get you onto their prorietary email so they have a slave collar around your neck and refuse to change to a better competitor. Not good, don't do it please!

Collapse -
yes
by nancydnv / December 8, 2008 4:29 AM PST

The only reason I stay with AOL is that I like how the set up is except 10.1 bad bad bad!! I do understand what your saying,iam running 9.1 and seems to be wonderful now ,Also I do have a second e-mail address from COMCAST DON'T CARE MUCH FOR IT EITHER. Thank you Nancy

Collapse -
AOL and Vista 64
by jgar99 / February 2, 2009 2:21 AM PST

Hello, My Question is , which AOL software is Compatible with Vista 64 Bit ( 9.0vr ,9.1 ,10.1 ) Iam running Vista Home premium I have an AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad- core processor with 6144MB memory 750 GB hard drive Nvidia GeForce 9300GE which AOL version would be best Thank's A Million on you thought Nancy C.....

Response:

This is crazy. It works fine with the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version works only about 30 % of the time. I found restarting the sevices and sometimes looking for the invisible AOL software you can still see running in the applications and proccess (Locate in Windows Task Manager). If you kill those processes several times then you often times get it to start ok. This make take several attempts. This is really annoying.

Collapse -
They have abandoned us
by GeorgeKnighton / March 12, 2009 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL and Vista 64

To all intent and purposes, AOL have abandoned 64-bit Windows users. The current team of client developers just aren't able to get it in gear to help with Windows 7 and other 64-bit OS.

It's a shame, because I feel that the AOL proxy and the traditional way of handling AOL mail through the client is *still* what the overwhelming majority of users would want to be doing.

You can configure Outlook for mail, but it's not as good and not as easy as the old AOL interface. You'll get used to it, but you will always miss it.

And there is *no* free Web proxy as fast and reliable as the AOL proxy.

It's a shame.

Collapse -
It Works!!!
by ssbeywatch / August 30, 2009 9:38 PM PDT

The new AOL 9.5 beta works smoothly on my computer with the 64 bit version!

I went almost a year without the aol platfor because of the incompatibility problems, but now it all is solved (or so it seems)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.