Computer Help

General discussion

AOL 9.0VR Vista Ready

by michhala / August 14, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

I have Windows XP SP2 and according to what I have read, it is not necessary to upgrade from my AOL 9.0 Optimum version if Vista is not being used. Beginning yesterday, every time I sign off AOL, I get a screen instructing me to update to 9.0VR and saying my version is being retired. Eventually, the screen disappears and AOL closes down. I think AOL 9.0VR is still in need of fixing and if I do update, I would rather use a different method of downloading that is not on demand at a time when the version is improved.

Does anyone know if there is a way of eliminating the nag screen?

I have not been able to get into AOL. Miki

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AOL 9.0VR Vista Ready
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AOL 9.0VR Vista Ready
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AOL 9.0VR Vista Ready Correction
by michhala / August 14, 2007 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: AOL 9.0VR Vista Ready

Apologies....my OP was misleading...when I wrote "I have not been able to get into AOL", I meant their phone technical support. To further clarify my hastily written OP: I can sign on to AOL, but cannot sign off until the update to AOL 9.0VR screen goes away on its own or I do an end task.

Miki

Collapse -
In same 'nag screen' situation...
by BunneyK / August 23, 2007 11:46 AM PDT

If you are using Windows XP or earlier Windows operating systems, you do not need to update your AOL software to 9.0VR.
I would NEVER download ANY versions of AOL...especially if on dialup; in past, I got damaged files & then had to reinstall AOL. ALWAYS USE THE CD disk....IF and WHEN you want the 9VR AOL.
I will not use 9VR until I buy my new computer. This computer will stay Windows XP and be my spare with regular old 9 AOL.
Just to let you know,,,you are not alone with frustrating nag screen. Also, why do they appear when I am trying to signoff puter/tired/wanting to go to bed????
When it pops up again, I will try to right click it...see if there is a delete option...or click 'ok' and then cancel download & perhaps it will have a 'do not ask me again' option. If I find an answer I'll jot back...or maybe someone can help beforehand,,,,

Collapse -
Reply to BunneyK
by michhala / August 23, 2007 2:41 PM PDT

Thanks for replying to my post. My OS is XP SP2 and I have Verizon DSL. I use AOL for E-mail.

There was no way or option to eliminate the nag screen when it appeared. The only way to close AOL was to wait for the nag screen to disappear in 20 seconds or so or to do an end task. The nag screen finally got tired of 'nagging' and disappeared after a week.

I feel as you do about not using AOL 9.0VR if I don't have to do so. Since I was informed they are retiring my 9.0 Optimum version, it may be necessary to do so at some point.

Miki

Collapse -
AOL 9VR....
by BunneyK / August 30, 2007 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to BunneyK

You are welcome Miki...wish I had been more helpful. Just wanted you to know you were not alone. I have the AOL 9 cd,,,,,so as long as I have that I can stay on 9 Optimized...until I get new computer with Vista and actually need AOL 9VR.
I know people who still use older versions of AOL..even back to 6.
Good to know that nag screen goes away in a week.
Thanks...BunneyK

Collapse -
Don't think the CD will work
by michhala / August 30, 2007 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: AOL 9VR....

Hi BunneyK -- When a friend tried to use the AOL 9.0 Optimized CD to install on his second computer, it was disallowed.

Miki

Collapse -
Cd
by BunneyK / September 8, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

Hmmmmm.....odd...cuz AOL Help states that you do not need to upgrade the AOL if you are still using WindowsXP or older versions,,,,,,so you'd think the 9 Optimized would load. (With the exception of Windows Vista of course. Then you'd need the AOL 9VR.)

Where do you pick up AOL 9VR cds?
Are they available at any computer store...such as Staples etc????
Thanks,,,BunneyK
I check here for replies about once a week.

Collapse -
AOL 9.0VR CDs
by michhala / September 8, 2007 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Cd

I am not sure where to pick up the 9.0VR CDs.....if there is a CD available, you might be able to request it from AOL......however,
you can download it at:

http://discover.aol.com/downloads/

Miki

Collapse -
AOL HELP
by BunneyK / September 9, 2007 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL 9.0VR CDs

Thanks Miki..I cannot download much with dialup though//why I prefer a cd...so...I wrote AOL HELP (email answers..OR talk LIVE with TECH..)..this is link if any of you AOL people have questions..--->
https://contactus.aol.com/triage/member/first/member_chat_billing_general_tech/member_email_billing_tech
I asked for info about our confusion re: whether AOL 9 Optimized cd will ever load with Windows XP if they retire it. I also asked where to pick up 9VR cds when ready to use Windows Vista...or if they can mail members disks. Should get answer in 24 hours..will let you know in a few days.

Collapse -
About AOL 9VR
by BunneyK / September 10, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL HELP

I received my replies from AOL... about whether AOL 9 optimized is ok to load with Windows XP in future... even if the AOL 9 Optimized is 'retired'...and where to pick up the NEWEST AOL 9VR Vista Ready cd disks:
I understand you want to know if you can still install the software using the AOL 9.0 Optimized CD.

Thank you for making us aware of your concern. I want to assure you that I am here to help and give the information that you need.

You will still be able to install the software using the AOL 9.0 Optimized CD. However, you may still receive the AOL 9.0 VR update pop-up.

The update pop-up is designed for you to automatically download the latest AOL software available, AOL 9.0 VR, which has improved features and performance, but still has the familiar AOL interface and experience. The way you read and send mail, IM friends, and access the Internet is still the same.

While you are online, AOL will deliver this update in the background. Your connectivity and experience will not be affected. The delivery may take some time depending on your Internet connection speed and usage. AOL will notify you once the software has been downloaded to your computer and is ready for installation.

After your computer downloads a series of updates, follow the additional prompts for you to download and install the new AOL 9.0 VR software.
I understand you would like us to send you a copy of the AOL CD.

I apologize but AOL has stopped shipping software CDs.

However, you can still obtain an AOL CD from the following partner retailers: Best

Buy, CompUSA, and Wal-Mart. Please call ahead and ask if they have an AOL CD available.

Currently our most recent version of the software is AOL 9.0 Vista Ready (VR). This version will work on any system with the following basic system requirements:

-Windows Vista, XP, 2K, Me or 98SE
-Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
-166 MHz Pentium-class processor or higher, 32MB RAM (64MB recommended)
-28.8 Kbps or faster modem or other means of Internet connection

Here are the specific locations for the AOL 9.0VR CDs in retail store displays:

Best Buy
- Customer Service Area, Entrances and Exits, floor displays, countertop displays, Best Buy card center in the front of the store, Geek Squad Window, Checkout lanes

CompUSA
- Entrances and Exits, Computer Area, Checkout Lanes

WalMart
- Checkout Lanes, Electronic Department, Stationary Dept, Grocery Area

Note: We suggest you call ahead to make sure that the store has the CD ROM available. If you are not able to locate the CD anywhere in the store, please contact the store personnel for further assistance.

Furthermore, if you currently have an existing Internet connection, you can take advantage of downloading the latest AOL software online through one of the following

AOL Keywords: AOL 9.0VR, AOL Software or Upgrade.

On the Internet, you may visit one of the following sites:
- http://daol.aol.com/software/90vr
- http://discover.aol.com/downloads/
- http://daol.aol.com/software/upgrade

Collapse -
BunneyK - thank you........
by michhala / September 10, 2007 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: About AOL 9VR

for all the good information. I stopped receiving the 9.0VR popup one week after it began.

My friend told me that when he tried to re-install AOL 9.0 Optimized, he could not successfully complete and get online. He is not that proficient on the computer so he might have done something wrong.

If any of my 9.0 Optimized files became corrupted, I would probably install the new Vista Ready version either by downloading online or from a CD. Although I have DSL, I prefer using a CD.........if there is one easily available. That said, I have had the 9.0VR download utility on Desktop for a few weeks as a just-in-case.

Good luck in finding a CD -- they must be around although I have not seen any......but then, again, I have not looked all that much.... Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Response to AOL CD information
by Actrs12B / October 6, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

I am on AOL 9.0 SE and I wanted to get a CD to reinstall it on our computer. I spent two hours driving around town yesterday to find the CD and the only places that had any version of AOL at all were Walmart and Circuit City, but the only version they had was AOL OpenRide. I didn't check Best Buy though because I have had bad experiences with them in the past so I only go there if I know exactly what I want and nobody else has it.
The last time I downloaded from the internet was with AOL 7.0 and I discovered that it works much better if you install from a CD. I had friends who downloaded 8.0 or 9.0 and had some problems until they got a CD and reinstall that way. I think I'll probably just search online and try to find the CD that way. I don't mind having to pay shipping and handling in order to be able to install from the CD rather than download from the internet.

Collapse -
Vista AOL CDs
by sparky4609 / October 12, 2007 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL 9.0VR CDs
Collapse -
AOL 9.0 VR already in your computer
by michhala / October 12, 2007 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista AOL CDs

If you are getting the nag screen twice a day to remind you to install AOL 9.0 VR, I believe the version software is already on your computer. Do a Search for the word "toaster" on your C:\ and you will see all the files -- one file in the cache folder 4127.1.4 is 59.6 MB.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\User Profiles\All Users

There are also four sets of files in:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\xxxxxxxxxxxx

Miki

Collapse -
where to order 9.0V.R
by hazel006 / August 25, 2008 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Cd

To the person who ask where they could buy 9.0 VR C.D, you order from aol .the number u call to order. is on any AOL C.D. or you can order online.they don not sell them in any stores.this is the number to call.1-866-need-aol . lol look for the numbers with those letters. thats the ways its on my C.D

Collapse -
You can get your AOL Vista CD here
by sparky4609 / December 29, 2008 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: where to order 9.0V.R

Check this site. It appears you can get just about any AOL version CD disk you want including AOL 9.0 VR for Windows Vista or sometimes called Vista Ready. Hope this helps someone that's looking.

http://www.aolcollecting.com

Collapse -
Why even bother?
by macgams / March 9, 2008 8:06 AM PDT

It's been years since I regularly used the AOL system for e-mail and browsing, and my life is much better. No more advertising/clutter to distract me, I just use Mozilla Firefox to browse, Mozilla Thunderbird for mail. You can download either through CNet downloads or through www.mozilla.com. These FREE programs are open source, which means that when you encounter a problem, you have to go to the discussion boards, BUT . . .

on the very few occasions (literally once or twice over 2+ years) when it's come to this, I've gotten explicit, easy-to-follow help, and probably in less time than I would have been hanging on Hold with AOL. Of course, in the interim, I still have access to my AOL default browser and/or mail.

And I don't have to worry that the latest AOL upgrade is a step down from an earlier version. Grin

Just a suggestion.

P.S. Mozilla also offers a very nice desktop calendar, Sunbird.

Collapse -
I am not an ID Thief
by macgams / March 9, 2008 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Why even bother?

This is Pebbles_B. I am not macgams, as the byline indicates, ditto the post directly above.

I just registered and validated, and the top of my screen says "Welcome, Pebbles_B". Why are the posts being misattributed? Please help!

I'm sure macgams isn't happy about this, either.

Collapse -
Our apologies.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2008 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: I am not an ID Thief

Hi Pebbles_B, and sorry about this.

I have notified Admin about this problem and they will ask the Engineers to sort it out as soon as possible. It does happen occasionally I'm afraid.

From experience it does take a few days to sort out, so please bear with us.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for the notice
by macgams / March 10, 2008 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Our apologies.

This is the other macgams. I'll wait for a reply when the problem has been corrected.

Thanks,

Rob.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.