PC Applications forum

Resolved Question

anyone recommend an interactive app for data analysis?

by bestbird7788 / May 15, 2012 5:02 PM PDT

Hi, everybody
I need to conduct a large amount of data analysis on database. Could anyone recommend an interactive application for data analysis?
The requirements are:
1. Able to cope with the unexpected requirement rapidly.
2. Able to perform further computations on results interactively.
3. Easy to confront even a l
3. Easy to confront even a large amount of complex computations
What would you great expert recommend?
Thanks in advance.

bestbird7788 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anyone recommend an interactive app for data analysis?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anyone recommend an interactive app for data analysis?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are you asking for software like ???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 2:18 AM PDT

What you see in movies or TV? That doesn't really exist. Such is made for the TV and mostly photoshop'd and then a little custom code to make it look like it works like that.

I have seen folk forget what they are seeing is an illusion.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bestbird7788

Collapse -
ESPROC/R maybe a choice
by datakeyword / June 6, 2012 1:26 PM PDT

ESPROC:It's a mass data computing tool, used for complex mass data analysis, It has EXCEL's interface and SQL's ability . check http://www.esproc.com/

R project:It's for for statistical computing, used for relativity model on mass data, also good at "stepwise analysis" that you called. check http://www.r-project.org/

According to your description, I think ESPROC should be better.

SPSS and SAS are powerful tools, if you do what It want, not what you want. Yes, I mean they are good under their limit, but there are too limits.
By contrast, SAS is more agility than SPSS.

Collapse -
I like ESPROC, but....
by bestbird7788 / June 12, 2012 12:53 PM PDT

hi, datakeyword
Thank you for your suggestion, It's a good suggestion.
I had spend some time in R and ESPROC. This is my feedback.
R, It's a good analysis tools, free and has many documents, but It is for programmer. It is too hard for me, though I have some VBA experience in EXCEL. I think It maybe not a big problem, I hadn't tried my best.
ESPROC, It's another good analysis tools, especially for mass data. I learn It more faster, maybe because It has an Excel interface? I had never imagined there was such a tools. I think it is more easy to use and has the same ability as R or SPSS and so on. I'm using free version, It seemed enough now, though I got a warning every 15 mins.
anyway, thank you for your recommend. I should spend more time on ESPROC.
Can I ask you more question about ESPROC in the future?

Collapse -
hi, I meet a problem on ESPROC
by bestbird7788 / June 26, 2012 1:06 PM PDT

hi, I meet a problem on ESPROC, and Can you give me a hand?

I want to know how to do a group, I mean I known there are three functions : group, align,enum. They seemes same, but what's the difference among them, and how to choose?

Collapse -
Re: data analysis
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 15, 2012 5:18 PM PDT

Deprends on the needs.

I see lots of people doing analysis in Excel. Excel 2010 offers worksheets of 1 million rows. And it's quite flexible with a well-known user interface.

On the more professional side you can use SPSS (now called IBM SPSS Statistics), for example. A very powerful and well-known statistical package: You'll find many tutorials, books and courses about it.

If the data is already in a relational database, you can do some analysis with SQL also.

Collapse -
thank you for reply. I am afraid Excel ...
by bestbird7788 / May 16, 2012 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: data analysis

thank you for reply
I am afraid Excel is not a good choice because the data is updated daily in my case while Excel is fit for the fixed data.
As you mentioned, most data is stored in database. I tried SQL in the beginning but give up now because SQL does not provide the stepwise analysis capability like Excel.
For example, to solve these problems: a. to select out the 10 categories of best sellers b. as a further computation on the basis of result from a., to select out the top 20 products from each category, c. as a further comparison with that of the last year based on the result from a., to select out the newly-appeared and the disappeared categories on the list of this year.
If changing the SQL statement for the problem a to select out the 5 categories, then I'll have to change accordingly in the statements for b and the c. In addition, these SQL statements are too long and too complex. I've got hundreds of goals of computations like this.
As for the SPSS from IBM, thanks a lot for your recommendation, it seems powerful but too expensive and too professional to handle for me.
So maybe I am a bit picky or my case is a bit particular, from the above discussions, the Excel, SQL, and SPSS all might not be the perfect solutions. Is there any other recommendations?

Collapse -
Re: analysis
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 16, 2012 6:46 PM PDT

I'd go and consider a real BI solution. For a start: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/Business_Intelligence.html

But all of these are more or less professional and more or less expensive tools, I'm afraid. For example:

However, if it's your job to be a business analist or a data analist, or whatever it's called, you need professional tools, of course. I don't have any personal experience with these programs. But software like this is being used at the 100-million-dollar-a-year company I work for. But I can't recommend any smaller scale, simpler or open-source applications, just because I don't use them.

Collapse -
thank you, I'm so grateful for your help
by bestbird7788 / May 17, 2012 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: analysis

I'm willing to pay for the right one, including SPSS if it is useful.
I had check solutions you recommended and I dont' know how to make a clear dicision.
It seemes there are too many solutions.I think It's hard to image how to give a suggestion and make a choice without a discussible example.

So, I will give a discussible example below (with my friends's help, It's some difficult) ,please give me a suggestion about which solution is more fit for it, and how to use that solution to solve this problem( more details are ideal).

for example, I needs to compute the product whose annual sales values are all among the top 100
MSSQL data structure( sales table's fields): productID, time, value
SQL solution is as below:
WITH sales1 AS (
SELECT productID, YEAR(time) AS year, SUM(value) AS value1
FROM sales
GROUP BY productID, YEAR(time)

SELECT productID
SELECT productID
SELECT productID,RANK() OVER(PARTITION BY year ORDER BY value1 DESC) rankorder
FROM sales1 ) T1
WHERE rankorder<=100) T2
GROUP BY productID

Collapse -
Re: analysis
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 8:43 PM PDT

This are very specific questions, so I'm afraid you can't solve them in any tool without write some code.

Personally (but that might be just a question of being accustomed to it) I would do this in MS Access (linked to the MS SQL database), because the GUI helps making the right queries.

Collapse -
thank you
by bestbird7788 / May 20, 2012 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: analysis

thanks for your advice.
above problem must write some code, as what u had said. I just want to find a solution to write some clear code, easy to understand, easy to maintenance.
BTW, For Access, There are no like syntax "RANK OVER PARTITION BY". So that SQL statement is very hard to Access, and this doesn't include how to make a further analysis,I think it would be more hard.

Collapse -
Interactive App for Data Analysis
by BirtyGuy / February 19, 2013 6:14 AM PST

You should look at BIRT at birt-exchange.org. As a stand-alone development tool it hits your mark. Nimble, powerful, but easy. Plus, if you have a lot of end users to serve later, then you can upgrade to Actuate's commercial products, but initially stick with the open source.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.