Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Anyone Noticed The 'Microsoft Windows Component Publisher'??

by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 27, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

...that is now required at the Windows Update site? I haven't heard anything bad about it so far but on the last five computers I've manually updated, (A couple early Friday A.M. and the other three today), (W2000 and XP), I've been required to install what appears to be the latest ActiveX control for Windows Update from Microsoft.. As listed above, it's titled "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher".

It didn't show up at the "Patch Tuesday" updates in August but I've only seen it in the last few days. I'm not finding much about it on the net and I'm just curious as to it's purpose other than it's clearly an update to the Windows Update software.

Hope this helps.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone Noticed The 'Microsoft Windows Component Publisher'??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone Noticed The 'Microsoft Windows Component Publisher'??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / August 27, 2007 2:18 PM PDT

The last time I noticed a change was when I posted this LINK

Do you think it wise to install?

Collapse -
It's A Required Installation IF...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 28, 2007 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif

...you want to continue to use the manual updates at the site.. If you don't install it, then the updates won't show up.. It's just one of their required programs which help to scan the computer for updates but unfortunately, I'm finding nothing specific about it.

Collapse -
Could it have to do ........
Collapse -
Re: MS Windows Component Publisher
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 27, 2007 4:18 PM PDT

I got this in June. It hadn't shown up that month on "Patch Tuesday". I tried to find something about it, prior to installing it and came up blank. When I saw your post, I looked further and ran a search at the MS Newsgroups Windows Update forum. You may have looked there already, but I wasn't very "enlightened". A few people with problems, nothing more.

Just before posting, I went to see if there was anything about it, in my MU History. AGAIN.. the same request as June! (??) Strange. (It's not because the other failed. Unless this is going to be a common occurence. ??)

Sorry.. I can't be of much help Sad

Collapse -
I got that also a few
by roddy32 / August 27, 2007 7:39 PM PDT

nights ago when I went to get the new windows update software they were dishing out. Those using auto update received the new windows update software silently but I'm not sure if they did the same thing with the component publisher or not for those with auto updates.

Collapse -
You're Correct About It ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 28, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I got that also a few

....not being included in the Automatic Updates. It's also showing up on those machines which are autoupdated each month IF I access the manual Windows Update site.. ..Immediately after accessing the Windows Update link, during the "Checking to see if this computer is using the most current updating software for this site", the user is asked to install the new component. Before the update scan occurs, the "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher" must be installed.

Apparently, no one is too concerned over the new updated updating software.. I'm not having any problems with it, but I am curious.. If there's nothing bad to report, I guess I move on.

Collapse -
I have no problem with it either but
by roddy32 / August 28, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

there are many in the newsgroups and elsewhere that are complaining simply because it was installed without their knowledge. These are people that did NOT go anywhere near the Windows Update website but had Automatic updates set for notify. I had my dad check his computer last night and it is installed in his also and he is another that didn't go to the Windows updates site. I have heard of noone having any problems with it as far as working though.

Collapse -
I've had no notice of it,
by Brent Welch / August 28, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

or had to install anything on any of my WinXP computers, which are only updated manually.

I checked them all again today, after reading your post, and both WU & MU checked the Active-X required for the site, then scanned as usual. Installation histories show no such update as ever being installed.

Collapse -
Brent, It's Not A Standard Update And As Such..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 29, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

...it won't show up in the "Update History".. Instead, it's a software update (ActiveX) which is required to run Windows Update..

I find it strange your computers are not requiring the installation of the extra ActiveX control during the visit to the Windows Update site.. I just performed manual updates on approximately 20 more machines here at the office (a new "Time Zone" update arrived yesterday) and ALL of them require the new software installation BEFORE Windows Update will run.

Interesting indeed.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Critical update
by alicezy / November 12, 2009 4:47 AM PST

I went to the Critical Updates page to download any new critical updates

I got pop-up, which said:
Internet Explorer Security Warning
Do you want to install this softwasre?
Name: Windows Update
Publisher: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher
More Options:

While files from the Internet can be useful, this file type can potentially harm your computer. Only install software from pujblishers you trust.
I clicked on INSTALL and
Then I get a screen that states:
Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer.
A malfuntioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.
What you can do:
Go to your home page
Try to return to microsoft.com
More nformation
I never got this type of warning before. Does this program need to be installed? Why doesn't it install?
I have WinXPsp3 / IE 8 / AVG8.5 / Spyblaster / SpyBot / ZA, but as I said, I never got this type of message before.

I read a post somewhere about unchecking something (newly added) in IE8 - Tools/Advanced/Security.....etc. (Think it is:Uncheck= "Enable memory protection to help mitigate on line attacks")
Any help at all would be appreciated as we are senior citizens and this is our only notebook and we would hate for it to be non-working, etc.

Collapse -
Re: Critical Update
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 12, 2009 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Critical update

I realize you're looking for an easy answer. And there may very well be one. The only help I'm able to offer, is to let you know that the MS MVP, who is helping you at the newsgroups, is quite knowledgeable in this area. It's one of his areas of expertise. I noticed you experienced something similar in July. He may be headed in the right direction. While waiting for a response here, I would urge you to follow through with him, by answering the 6 questions he asked today. You have nothing to lose and all to gain.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
No Problems With The New ActiveX Update Here..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 13, 2009 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Critical update

Although this thread is fairly old, the new Windows Update Component is frequently updated and needs to be reinstalled.. On our XP machines, which are now all running IE8, as long as we simply choose to "Install" the update, we've not had any problems.. It installs correctly and then allows the Windows Updates site to load as it should..

One problem though.. Instead of using the old style "Windows Updates", we have now upgraded ALL our macines to use the "Microsoft Update" site which detects and allows the installation of both Windows and Office updates.. If you haven't already, try switching to the "Microsoft Update" option which can be done directly from the Windows Update site, using the link on the right side of the page.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.