PC Applications forum

Resolved Question

Anyone know of a real BATCH picture resizer?

by jagman_55 / July 5, 2012 12:18 PM PDT

For over 2 years, I have searched for a TRUE BATCH image (picture/JPG) resizer that will process in TRUE Batch and not ONE folder, one screen etc.
Most large picture collections come in SETS, and some have lots of them and they are all different size images depending on the resolution you need. But to store for archive, you need to reduce the size, etc.
In 2 years I have not found any resizer that can handle more than the TOP level folder and NO sub-folders.
Yet most collections come in multi-sets are in multi-folders but all software I have found can only resize ONE picture or ONE folder at a time, which is typically 30-110 pictures and with some having hundreds of sets, meaning thousands of pictures, that is what is called labor intensive doing them a hundred at a time.
Has anyone found a picture resizer software that can handle the top level folder and/or its "sub-folders" and keep them straight? This way if you have thousands of picture, you can load up, leave over night or do something else instead of setting there and waiting for one lousy folder to resize.
Some programmers call their software "batch"; but obviously do not know what "batch" means. It is a old Mainframe word we invented when a computer 'mainframe" could only process one job at a time (PCP) and then multiprocessing was invented and we would 'batch' several programs together. I have been in 'Data processing' about 55 years so i know what batch means. So when I search for a resizer and I find 'batch', the instructions say to 'drag and drop' one picture or one folder, or one screen??

Thanks.

jagman_55 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone know of a real BATCH picture resizer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone know of a real BATCH picture resizer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jagman_55

Collapse -
None.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 12:47 PM PDT

While IMAGE MAGICK is a true command line tool, this failed your requirement of some GUI drag and drop. In mainframe days we would write the batch file to do what you asked. So while I think it fit your batch requirement it failed when you added the GUI interface you wanted.
Bob

Collapse -
Didnt want to go back to ancient days of BAT files but...
by jagman_55 / July 5, 2012 6:15 PM PDT
In reply to: None.

trying to stay in the 21st century of PC/Windows software, I had to yield to GUI's as even in my SUN SA days, I was force to sometimes use GUI instead of the command line, everyone seem to love them.

What offends me was to search for 'picture resizer' and you get hits on 'batch functions' as a feature but when digging down, you see it was dragging and dropping more than just ONE file, whereas I consider a batch to be multi-folders (Windows world) as most images files are grouped in a folder and collections are normally multiple folders. And every resizer I have found, batch or not, was no lower than 'one folder' level. But bad to me thinking 'batch' as more than 'one'

If I was to write and market a 'resizer' program, I would label it 'batch' only if it handled more than ONE folder, not just more than one picture.
So is IMAGE MAGICK a PC program? or for the IBM Mainframe, Unix, etc? I love command line but in the last 10 years, since my IBM and SUN employment days, I have kind of gotten away from command lines.

I have about 10 terabytes of pictures to resize so using one folder at a time will take longer than my life expectancy.

Collapse -
Re: batch
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 6:27 PM PDT

Batch started as just a stack of punched cards, when things like hard disks and concepts of folders didn't exist yet. So I find your interpretation of "batch" as "can do multiple folders" a little bit stranged.

That said, assuming resizing a folder of pictures is much faster than view tem all, I feel that you have more pictures than you will ever able to view in your life expectancy. That alone makes it a strange task you're planning.

If it's for business, pay somebody to write what you need. If it's for your own private use, start learning programming and write it yourself. If you had started with that 2 years ago, in stead of spending 2 years searching for something that doesn't yet exist, you would have been ready with all 10 TB already. After all, it's only 10 million pictures, maybe even less.

Kees

Collapse -
Punch cards?
by jagman_55 / July 6, 2012 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: batch

Maybe but the question is: Did you ever punch a card on a machine? Do you remember the number of rows and columns? (IBM since they invented them)
Punched cards were my input and output console, as there were no consoles invented but not sure what that has to do with this subject? so to answer you question, no, I have not been waiting but using the crappy software that says it can handle "batches". Actually in my time, batches did not exist. And since my first computer had 4,000 bits, yes, bits, and images on a computer was punched cards, where we punched the cards with characters, and listed them on an accounting machine that "drew" the picture for us. I even remember the first one, someone punched a nice looking naked woman of O and I and was about 5 pages of listings. And the only storage media was punched cards but TAPES were on the way. Using an IBM typewriter as a console to replace punched cards was a real advancement. So yes, i expect those that follow to try to keep the tradition going but keep it straight.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2012 8:34 AM PDT

But a google of IMAGE MAGICK finds it's for Linux (UNIX varient?), PC (is that Windows?) and other systems.

Back to the requirement. Let's say this is the requirement. Now you need a programmer. At least with Image Magick the resize is just a command line away in said batch file.
Bob

Collapse -
Should have clarified and been more specitific
by jagman_55 / July 6, 2012 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

I am now using Windows 7 on all my PC's. Although I prefer Unix based, popularity of Windows seems to be the public's darling now.
So for my image/pictures, I use software written for Windows 64bit like it or not.
Some pictures are OK in the megabyte range but I try to cut their size down to 100k to 500k for storage.

The best program I have found to do it quick and dirty is Quick Picture Resizer but it only takes one folder at a time. You just specify what you want, drag and drop a folder and do something else.
The problems is, most all the programs I use are written for Windows today and not Unix, Linux, etc.
I was just hoping to find one that could handle 'sub-folders' but can not find any as i would be able to load up and process overnight.

But Thanks.

Collapse -
Thanks, I found it.
by jagman_55 / July 5, 2012 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: None.

Has some interesting features and is free.

Will try to hack through the docs.

Collapse -
Answer
FastStone Photo Resizer
by KenHusveg / July 6, 2012 5:13 PM PDT

ImageMagick (already mentioned) is a very good tool, if you know what your doing.

FastStone Photo Resizer (stand alone or included with FastStone Image Viewer) is excellent and easy. It can do all your asking, if you dig around a bit for the advanced options.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.