Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anyone following the Dornan Situation in California?

by James Denison / February 8, 2013 2:10 AM PST
His Manifesto
although I noted it's labeled "manifesto" not by him, but others. They seem to like that word for situations like this.

He's engaged in deliberate misdirection it seems, leaving personal items around San Deigo, burning his Nissan Truck near Big Bear rec area.

Manhunt continues. Also the cops have become trigger happy having shot up two trucks and wounded 2 of 3 occupants, believing the trucks might be his. Whatever happened to making sure of your target before shooting begins?!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone following the Dornan Situation in California?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone following the Dornan Situation in California?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Like some action movies: Denzel or Stallone or someone
by drpruner / February 8, 2013 5:59 AM PST

hunting/being hunted by fellow pros. Except: real blood; the dead don't get up at "Cut!"

Collapse -
I don't quite know what to make of it, but LA is one of the
by Ziks511 / February 8, 2013 3:40 PM PST

most corrupt Police Departments outside New Orleans. I hope this guy gets his fair day in court, but it is clear that the PD are doing their level best to prevent that.

Collapse -
I do believe they want him
by James Denison / February 8, 2013 3:56 PM PST

Dead, rather than Alive. Hopefully he will reconsider and surrender to some third party.

Collapse -
(NT) He does seem to plan on dying fighting though.
by Roger NC / February 8, 2013 8:28 PM PST
Collapse -
If he decides to stand down and
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 1:54 AM PST

...turn himself in, I'd urge him to do so to a law enforcement OTHER THAN LAPD, just to given safest chance to survive. Perhaps the state police would be the safest.

Collapse -
(NT) or maybe FBI, or as I said elsewhere, in another state.
by Roger NC / February 9, 2013 1:59 AM PST
Collapse -
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 2:07 AM PST

Based on military training and he seems smart, he will probably hit quick, then disappear for days at a time. Keep his "enemy" nervous, on constant alert, while he can rest in between the hits.

Collapse -
not sure about that
by Roger NC / February 9, 2013 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

if he has held on to every perceived slight or injustice done to him until he tipped over into a revenge war, I'm not sure he'll stay cool enough to wage a long term guerilla war.

He's already planning to die fighting, at least according to the reporting of his message.

That will probably lead to an OK corral firefight after a few hit and run attacks.

He may carry it on for months, but I'd be surprised. I'd be more worried that when he decide it was time he'd do something like drive into a police gathering either armed to the teeth, or even with a huge vehicle bomb on a suicide attack.

Collapse -
I wonder if he's already dead
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2013 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: not sure about that

He's created an atmosphere of terror which seems to have largely what he wanted when he put his plan in writing and made it public. Mission accomplished? Maybe. That's why we call these people "nut jobs". There's no predicting what they'll do.

Collapse -
don't know if LA is still as bad as it was
by Roger NC / February 8, 2013 8:27 PM PST

but while acknowledging at least some of the cops appear to prefer him shot "resisting arrest" than in custody, there is the fact the statements left by him makes it pretty clear he expects to be kill, since he stated even if his name was cleared he wouldn't be around to see it.

Such an attititude coupled with the declaration of war on the police department would indicate to me he probably intends to go down in a gunfight. Suicide by cop if you will.

And he has done what even most criminals don't, he has killed a cop's family before he got the cop and bragged about it basically. Knowing the man you're hunting intends to kill you, has all your training and skills or maybe more, is willing to kill your family to hurt you if he can't get to you right then...........all that is bound to affect the cops.

It's not justification for murder, but it certainly puts pressure on the cops. Snipers are used to take out people holding hostages and threatening them. This guy has threatened every cop on the force, and has killed a family to back that threat up.

I'm not sure how many people wouldn't shoot on sight under those circumstances. Doesn't mean it's right, but it's not hard to understand.

If you love conspiracy theories, the cops actions could make you believe he knew something they didn't want investigated in open court. But anything like that would have probably been in his statement of cause.

James probably is right his only chance is to surrender to someone else. If he changed his mind he'd be better off to get clean out of state and surrender I think.

Collapse -
(NT) And you meant Dorner, right?
by Ziks511 / February 9, 2013 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) right
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 3:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Just to let you know,whenever somebody says Dornan connected
by Ziks511 / February 13, 2013 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: right

to California, I think of "B-1 Bob" the notoriously whacko Congressman from part of LA County.

But I realized I shouldn't have bothered you about this, James, when I noticed that none of the News people could keep it straiight either.

Please excuse the correction, it was too minor to bother you with.

rob (no change in meds, worse luck. I hate February !!)

Collapse -
(NT) S.A.D. ?
by Roger NC / February 13, 2013 6:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Dornan is a psychopath ...
by scrooster / February 9, 2013 10:50 AM PST

Dornan is a well-organized and intelligent psychopath, and probably has been for most of his adult life. Until now he simply kept his urges under control. He has, no doubt, been manifesting this fantasy of becoming an antihero for some time and then, one day not long ago, he could no longer control it and it popped-out and now we have what we have. A trained murderer on the loose who, in his own mind at least, has committed justified homicide and is now on a mission to leave a legacy.

His manifesto, which is what it is, reveals a deeply disturbed egocentric psychopath on the verge of turning sociopath which lends us some clue as to why he is doing what he is doing today and why he is a hunted man.

Oddly enough there are some hailing him a hero. Care to guess whom?

Collapse -
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 1:49 PM PST

Some on the Left are looking at him as a "hero" it seems.

I heard he may suffer from a narcissist personality.

Of course I've heard the same said about Obama too.

Hopefully he will be apprehended soon, alive.

Collapse -
hero? left? right?
by Roger NC / February 9, 2013 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Hero?

Only place I recall hero or anti-hero applied to him is here in SE.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the borderline anarchist types see him as fighting against the "man" standing up to the system.

He'll end up being regarded as another Rambo by those that like to daydream of violent responses to the system.

Collapse -
go to facebook
by James Denison / February 10, 2013 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: hero? left? right?
Collapse -
comments after news stories on lline
by Roger NC / February 10, 2013 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: go to facebook

are cause for laughter or dispair. There may be one or two understandable comments mixed in with the asinine, bigotted, and sound bite repititions of some crackpot views.

They generally lead to dispair of the existence of intelligence.

Facebook? it's good for looking up people, it's good for entertainment. Comments on friends activities are generally atta boy's or joking around with each other. That's not counting the flirts of course. It's fun, it's good for supporting friends, it's an available all the time gossip at the malt shop.

Comments on current affairs? sad in that at least half them are as asinine as the ones after web pages news stories.

Collapse -
re some looking at him as a hero
by Roger NC / February 10, 2013 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Hero?

kinda of like with Zimmerman?

Collapse -
labelled as a hero
by Roger NC / February 9, 2013 11:24 PM PST

odd how we do that.

Billy the Kid, Bonnie and Clyde

First two, ok three, that come to mind, then there's the kid in the northwest last year, don't remember his name.

Ran across some site other day that seem to favor the idea he knows something the LAPD doesn't want to get to news reporters and he is just responding to an attempt to silence him. Others that he's fighting back against prejudices and injustices dealt him. One proposed pyshcoanylsis on some newscast labelled him as one that stored up every perceived personal injustice until he tipped over.

Collapse -
Liberal Hypocrisy Concerning Dorner?
by James Denison / February 9, 2013 1:46 PM PST

Hannity at Foxnews. Expose.

He brings up some good points and maybe doesn't go far enough. I've heard there are support facebook sites put up for Dorner now too. My hope is he will not kill more and eventually he'll cool off and turn himself in, preferably to something like state police which might be less willing to shoot on sight.

I agree however with Hannity that it gets tiring for conservatives to be painted by every wacko the Left thinks they can use to do so, while suddenly failing to do the same when they suspect the person could be more related to their way of thinking.
Collapse -
I'm curious
by James Denison / February 10, 2013 8:34 AM PST

Anyone here feel "the ideal situation" is for the police to "take Dorner out"? A friend wrote that to me and I replied the ideal situation would be for him to surrender to some law officer who wasn't determined "to take him out". Does Dorner's actions justify any collateral damage caused by police, such as shooting up a truck with 2 women in it, or another truck with a man in it?

Collapse -
Here's where you butt up against PR
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2013 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: I'm curious

With the whole country watching, you can't afford to take certain risks. The media will eat the police alive if one of their bullets hits an innocent bystander.

Collapse -
and if they corner him and let him get away
by Roger NC / February 10, 2013 11:27 AM PST

or even if he kills another cop when he's cornered they'll still criticise every detail of the way it was handled.

Collapse -
I expect a riot
by James Denison / February 10, 2013 12:02 PM PST

if he's shot and killed, especially if it's done by LAPD.

Collapse -
Our media only works with about hindsight
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2013 6:00 PM PST

This gives them the opportunity to consider all outcome scenarios and have story questions ready in advance. Their worst nightmare is to have everything go just fine and have no one to legitimately criticize. Fortunately for them, they have their own reliable "whipping boys" to turn to when there's no one else to flail. If you get the idea I distrust the press, you're right. Happy

Collapse -
First let me state that I've oft been accused by friends....
by Tony Holmes / February 11, 2013 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: I'm curious

of being the "Drunken Cossack" that was mistakenly invited to a Black Tie Dinner.Bearing that in mind,allow me to give my thoughts on this. Happy

Dorner is an extremely dangerous fugitive that claims to be heavily armed,this man is nothing less than absolute evil.

He has a lot of ego investment in this,he was once a member of two forces of good,the USN and the LAPD.He felt wronged when he failed at both and then embarked on a murder spree.( the very antithesis of the heroes he identified with).

So what does the scumbag do? Of course,he goes out and murders the daughter of the police captain that defended him and her fiance as revenge for the captains failure to get him off! Two totally innocent human beings that didn't deserve it.

Not content to stop there,he performs a cowardly ambush of two cops,murdering one of them.The dirtbag wants to commit "suicide by cop" and he'll probably get his wish.

Piers Morgan is a hero of his,he could surrender to him? Meanwhile he has fans dedicating Facebook pages to him,calling him a hero?

Make no mistake,Dorner is no hero.He's a fly on a pile of sh*t.

Collapse -
Let's hope
by James Denison / February 11, 2013 2:16 AM PST

they don't make a Martyr of him. Better he live long enough to be recognized for the troubled person he has become. Although the LAPD goofed in shooting at the wrong trucks, they didn't deliberately target innocents, which Dorner has done. Also, the cops he shot weren't even members of LAPD. I read that his facebook page was updated in the last two days, but maybe wasn't him, although things previously removed were replaced. Other than that possibility, I don't think he's been heard of since the day of the truck burning. He may already be dead from suicide somewhere near Big Bear and body already cold by the time they got infrared up there looking for him. He's obviously having a breakdown of some sort and if the truck broke the axle while he was using it instead of it happening when towed, then that might have been the last straw that pushed him over the edge to off himself.

Collapse -
could happen I guess, but I'd still expect him to
by Roger NC / February 11, 2013 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Let's hope

try to go out in a blaze of notority.

Shootout or suicide bomber? yes.

Alone, hidden, unnoticed? no

Of course if his illness is such that he swings from one extreme to the other, if he suddenly felt regret for the murders, who can say what he would do since his actions are probably going to be extreme. He'd probably kill himself before he'd turn himself in.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.