TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Anyone ever fix IR interference from LCD TV?

by Spudman003 / September 23, 2007 5:06 PM PDT

Hey all, I was reading some old posts from around last January where a few of you guys were having issues with IR interference from the LCD TV affecting how the remote works with the receivers from Dish (or whatever service, don't think it matters). Here's the link to the old post: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=225715&messageID=2359370

Anyways, a couple guys were having the problem with the same TVS..I have the same problem with a different TV. I have a Sharp Aquos 46'' LCD. The remote will not do anything within the first 20 or 30 minutes that the TV is on unless I take it up and put it right directly in front of the receiver. I know that it has something to do with when the TV heats up, the interference goes away. Also, when I shutoff the TV, or even put a blanket over it while on, the remote works perfectly fine. It has been SO FRUSTRATING. Has there been any solutions, any explanations. Anything would be very helpful at this point. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone ever fix IR interference from LCD TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone ever fix IR interference from LCD TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Anyone? Anyone? Don't all jump in at once here.
by Spudman003 / September 24, 2007 8:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
NO.
by Riverledge / September 24, 2007 8:23 AM PDT

riv.

Collapse -
An posting that I find many points I agree with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 9:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks a bunch
by Spudman003 / September 24, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

Bob, the link you offered proved to be a good one. Thanks a bunch and I appreciate you help greatly. Have a good one.

Brandon

Collapse -
try this
by gabereyes / September 24, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks a bunch

I had the same problem with a install using an IR repeater system I put some black tape over the IR sensor to cover about two thirds of the sensor and it seemed to help.

its not a real fix but it might help

good luck

Collapse -
lcd interference
by bukaty / October 19, 2009 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

I broke apart an old floppy disk and using scissors cut out a small piece of the media film and covered the Dish receiver window using clear tape. I now have consistent and full control of the satellite receiver. All that was needed was a small amount of attenuation of the ambient IR.

Collapse -
IR interference
by jsflack / September 30, 2010 6:41 AM PDT

My new Panansonic TCP65 V10 was causing the same issue. I resolved it at first by putting a black piece of tag board in front of the sensor partly blocking its' exposure to the room. This solved the issue, but was annoyiong. What really solved the problem was turning off the CATS (contrast automatic tracking sensor)setting. If you have a tv that automatically adjusts the constrast with the ambient room light, this sensor setting causes IR interference.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.