The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Anyone else more excited about OS X 10.6 more than iPhone 3G

by DaveBinM / June 29, 2008 4:25 PM PDT

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a lot more excited about OS X 10.6 than the new iPhone. The 3G iPhone is out in a few days, and I'm not super excited, but I'd love to see more of 10.6. I was pretty bummed at the little attention it got at WWDC. OS X getting smaller, applications shrinking, ZFS, better use of 64-bit processes. Am I the only one?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone else more excited about OS X 10.6 more than iPhone 3G
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone else more excited about OS X 10.6 more than iPhone 3G
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No

Snow Leopard has major new features that are more significant than anything in Leopard.. But it's under the bonnet stuff...
ZFS yes.
But also Grand Central, feature to make it easier for developers to use multiple cores.
And OpenCL, to let you use a graphics card to do general computing tasks. Use it's computational abilities for more than graphics, but video encoding, imaging editing, you name it. Because GPU's are designed to handle things in parallel, for some tasks it's dramatically faster than a CPU. This is a big feature.
Both these require developers to support them though.

Collapse -
I'm with you, G.
by thriftyT / June 30, 2008 12:46 PM PDT

The changes Apple is making to 10.6 don't sound sexy, but I have a feeling that the implications could be interesting. BOLers out there are going to have to help me out here if I'm wrong, but a smaller 10.6 seems to imply:

1) performance boost on existing machines. Most new OS's and programs are bloated and slow things down, so I figure that the opposite may be the case with 10.6

2) This OS will fit on devices such as SSD-based subnotebooks and Newton-like devices.
I've noticed that there are Windows-based subnotebooks that run XP because they are precluded from running the bulkier Vista OS. Apple seems to be taking the opposite approach... and as a result seem to be opening up the possibility of the OS running on a wider range of mobile devices.

Collapse -
Yeah, there's some nice looking things in there.
by DaveBinM / June 30, 2008 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm with you, G.

I'm thinking it'll be faster too, and if they make it smaller, the MacBook Air would have far more space available, and depending what they do to the kernel, it could also become less power hungry for laptops. Imagine getting 8 or 9 hours out of a battery... (I think that's a little optimistic though) Also, Quicktime X. I'm wondering if Quicktime will be dramatically different, like OS X was compared to OS 9. I think it's exciting!

Collapse -
yes!
by skellener / July 3, 2008 3:44 PM PDT

Considering that I don't want an iPhone, yes! 10.6 sounds great. ZFS!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.