Samsung

General discussion

Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box

by gozoliet / September 11, 2010 4:22 AM PDT

I'm just about to switch Anynet off and go spend money on a remote like the Logitech one, but thought I'd ask.

Have recently purchased LN46C750, got a Samsung BluRay player with it and picked up the HW-C650S for basic surround sound. I also have a Rogers SA8300HD cable box. ALl inputs are plugged into the receiver through HDMI (1 & 3), TV using HDMI output from A/V receiver. I've configured so everything works, with Anynet, if I turn on the BluRay player, everything switches to BluRay, perfect.

There's one glitch. When I turn off the DVD player, the A/V receiver switches to TV - Optic 3 (oops! everything's HDMI!!!) and the TV switches to its coax signal source. (even if cable box is on or off)

One solution might be to hook up the cable box to the TV and use an optical out, but seems like an extra step.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update
by gozoliet / September 12, 2010 2:49 AM PDT

Update: tried plugging cable box to tv's hdmi input directly. With anynet the behavior is still the same. When the blu ray turns off the tv switches to the antenna/coax input and the avr switches to tv optic3. I've moved the cable box to one of the other two hdmi inputs (not tv) and at least they don't switch from hdmi to optical when the blu ray turns off. Is there no way to avoid all this when blu ray disconnects?

Collapse -
Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 13, 2010 4:08 AM PDT

gozoliet,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

The devices are connected with Anynet+, which is our CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) with HDMI. When you turn off the Blu-Ray player, the television is designed to disconnect Anynet and revert back to the TV input, which is an "always on" connection. While this is not always the preferred method, that's how the television is designed.

You might try switching inputs first and then disconnecting (turning off) the Blu-ray player so that the television doesn't change to the default "always on" TV connection.

The other option is to turn off Anynet+ features in all of the Samsung devices, but then you would lost Anynet+ operations altogether.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Anynet+ features defaulting to TV input with Cable Box
by Edward_Hyde12 / February 16, 2011 4:38 AM PST

I agree with gozoliet and respectfully disagree with our Samsung_HD_Tech. While this may be the way it may have been designed, it is a design flaw! It is 2010 and the reality is that HD TV is mostly available through Cable TV providers. Now if we were back in the 1960's and receiving our programming over the airwaves, this "design" would make perfect sense. But it is 2010, most consumers are receiving their HD TV from cable, Satellite, or FIOS. But not over the "Air"... So the argument that it is the default/design makes no sense to me. (no offense to those who do opt to get their HD over the airwaves).
After shelling out over $1500 for the TV, Home Theater, and DVD. I think you better listen to your customers and do something other than give them lip service. We can get that somewhere else.

Collapse -
Anynet issue with Blu-ray BD-C6900 + HW-C560S + 55" LED Sams
by TommyLikesTech / September 13, 2010 6:10 AM PDT

I am having the same issue,...(When I turn off the DVD player, the A/V receiver switches to TV - Optic 3 (oops! everything's HDMI!!!) and the TV switches to its coax signal source. (even if cable box is on or off))...
and it would seem that Samsung would address the problem, especially for how much money I shelled out for it all! If they dont come up with a fix Very soon, I will take it ALL back within 30 days!
HELP Samsung!!!

Collapse -
Not a good fix
by gozoliet / September 13, 2010 8:46 AM PDT

Thanks samsung tech for having a presence in the forums. Unfortunately your suggestion does not work. Even if the av receiver is on another source (ie sat) when the blu ray is turned off the av switches to tv optic 3 and the tv switches to coax. I bought the av for convenience with all the other samsung equipment but it's proving to be anything but. What ar the chances of a new firmware to address this? Slim to none? From searching for a solution I know many people have te same problem and just turn anynet off. It's too bad samsung forces people to buy a third party remote when all that's missing is handling when things turn off.

Collapse -
Not a good fix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 13, 2010 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a good fix

gozoliet,

I understand your point of view, however I don't know if this will or won't be addressed by the team with firmware. I'll be happy to send your words to those that make those decisions. However, I don't have a solution other than switching the inputs and then powering down the device to avoid going to the default "always on" input.

--HDTech

Collapse -
NOT a good fix!
by TommyLikesTech / September 15, 2010 2:02 AM PDT

We are not the only ones frustrated & upset with this problem, and if Samsung can not fix this major problem with their "Anynet+" then it's Definitely Not a plus!!! It is useless to have and wrong to advertise about it! Therefore if something is not done within the next 15 days, weather a firmware update or something to correct the problem, I will be taking All of the samsung equipment that I purchased back, and nor I or my company will ever purchase a samsung product again! ...nor any of my friends, family, or anyone I come into contact with, it is just so ridicules to pay so much money for all the same brand named equipment, and they can't even work right together! Thats the purpose of it all anyway.

...Look for a possible write-up sometime next month in the Tri Business Journal...

Frustrated & Upset!

Collapse -
Anynet issue with Blu-ray BD-C6900 + HW-C560S + 55" LED Sams
by TommyLikesTech / October 7, 2010 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: NOT a good fix!

This is the "chat" I had with a samsung tech agent...

Still NO answers, NO help, and NO fixes!!!....
(I copied & pasted ALL of our problems & questions to samsung!)

Chat start time Sep 28, 2010 4:44:05 PM EST
Chat end time Sep 28, 2010 5:10:23 PM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:26:18
Operator Shelley

Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Shelley'

Shelley: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: Samsung: Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box by gozoliet - 9/11/10 11:22 AM Total posts: 8 (Showing page 1 of 1)Back to Samsung forumTrack this thread.
Post 1 of 8 Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box by gozoliet - 9/11/10 11:22 AM
I'm just about to switch Anynet off and go spend money on a remote like the Logitech one, but thought I'd ask. Have recently purchased LN46C750, got a Samsung BluRay player with it and picked up the HW-C650S for basic surround sound. I also have a Rogers SA8300HD cable box. ALl inputs are plugged into the receiver through HDMI (1 & 3), TV using HDMI output from A/V receiver. I've configured so everything works, with Anynet, if I turn on the BluRay player, everything switches to BluRay, perfect. There's one glitch. When I turn off the DVD player, the A/V receiver switches to TV - Optic 3 (oops! everything's HDMI!!!) and the TV switches to its coax signal source. (even if cable box is on or off) One solution might be to hook up the cable box to the TV and use an optical out, but seems like an extra step. Any suggestions? ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..Post 2 of 8Update by gozoliet - 9/12/10 9:49 AM In reply to: Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box by gozoliet Update: tried plugging cable box to tv's hdmi input directly. With anynet the behavior is still the same. When the blu ray turns off the tv switches to the antenna/coax input and the avr switches to tv optic3. I've moved the cable box to one of the other two hdmi inputs (not tv) and at least they don't switch from hdmi to optical when the blu ray turns off. Is there no way to avoid all this when blu ray disconnects? ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..Post 3 of 8Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box by Samsung_HD_Tech - 9/13/10 11:08 AM In reply to: Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box by gozoliet gozoliet, I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. The devices are connected with Anynet+, which is our CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) with HDMI. When you turn off the Blu-Ray player, the television is designed to disconnect Anynet and revert back to the TV input, which is an "always on" connection. While this is not always the preferred method, that's how the television is designed. You might try switching inputs first and then disconnecting (turning off) the Blu-ray player so that the television doesn't change to the default "always on" TV connection. The other option is to turn off Anynet+ features in all of the Samsung devices, but then you would lost Anynet+ operations altogether. --HDTech imagine the possibilities - Click here to visit the Samsung forum - Click here to visit the Samsung store on CNET ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..
Post 4 of 8 Anynet issue with Blu-ray BD-C6900 + HW-C560S + 55" LED Sams
by TommyLikesTech - 9/13/10 1:10 PM In reply to: Anynet issue with HW-C650S + LN46C750 + cable box by gozoliet I am having the same issue,...(When I turn off the DVD player, the A/V receiver switches to TV - Optic 3 (oops! everything's HDMI!!!) and the TV switches to its coax signal source. (even if cable box is on or off))... and it would seem that Samsung would address the problem, especially for how much money I shelled out for it all! If they dont come up with a fix Very soon, I will take it ALL back within 30 days! HELP Samsung!!! ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..Post 5 of 8Not a good fix by gozoliet - 9/13/10 3:46 PM In reply to: Anynet issue with Blu-ray BD-C6900 + HW-C560S + 55" LED Sams by TommyLikesTech Thanks samsung tech for having a presence in the forums. Unfortunately your suggestion does not work. Even if the av receiver is on another source (ie sat) when the blu ray is turned off the av switches to tv optic 3 and the tv switches to coax. I bought the av for convenience with all the other samsung equipment but it's proving to be anything but. What ar the chances of a new firmware to address this? Slim to none? From searching for a solution I know many people have te same problem and just turn anynet off. It's too bad samsung forces people to buy a third party remote when all that's missing is handling when things turn off. ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..Post 6 of 8Not a good fix by Samsung_HD_Tech - 9/13/10 6:21 PM In reply to: Not a good fix by gozoliet gozoliet, I understand your point of view, however I don't know if this will or won't be addressed by the team with firmware. I'll be happy to send your words to those that make those decisions. However, I don't have a solution other than switching the inputs and then powering down the device to avoid going to the default "always on" input. --HDTech imagine the possibilities - Click here to visit the Samsung forum - Click here to visit the Samsung store on CNET ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..Post 7 of 8NOT a good fix! by TommyLikesTech - 9/15/10 9:02 AM In reply to: Not a good fix by Samsung_HD_Tech We are not the only ones frustrated & upset with this problem, and if Samsung can not fix this major problem with their "Anynet+" then it's Definitely Not a plus!!! It is useless to have and wrong to advertise about it! Therefore if something is not done within the next 15 days, weather a firmware update or something to correct the problem, I will be taking All of the samsung equipment that I purchased back, and nor I or my company will ever purchase a samsung product again! ...nor any of my friends, family, or anyone I come into contact with, it is just so ridicules to pay so much money for all the same brand named equipment, and they can't even work right together! Thats the purpose of it all anyway. ...Look for a possible write-up sometime next month in the Tri Business Journal... Frustrated & Upset! ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post..Post 8 of 8Same Issue by sronan - 9/27/10 8:45 PM In reply to: Not a good fix by Samsung_HD_Tech I bought all three units together and I am having the same issue, the audio receiver cannot switch to HDMI when the Blu-Ray goes off. I have a Shaw Communications HD-PVR. I was suggested to do a firmware upgrade on all 3 Samsung items. I have now done this but the Stereo Receiver will not power up.......this is more frustrating and annoying and I do agree with others on this forum that you (Samsung) do need to come up with a fix asap. This your own proprietary software that is causing conflicts and issues. ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post.

Shelley: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.

Visitor: ok.....didn't mean for it to be all together.

Shelley: Let me check and provide you with the information.

Visitor: Its from a CNET Forum....getting NO answers! I'm TommyLikesTech

Shelley: I understand your concern.

Shelley: You can connect an Anynet+ device using the HDMI 1.3 cable. Some HDMI cables may not support Anynet+ functions.
Shelley: Anynet+ works when the AV device supporting Anynet+ is in the Standby or On status.
Shelley: It is not a glitch. The Anynet + feature is designed like that.
Shelley: I understand your requirement.
Shelley: I will forward your message to our Engineering department to work on this.

Visitor: it needs to be able to default back to the HDMI, not the TV mode where nothing is on

Shelley: I am sorry, by default, Samsung TV 's are designed to be in TV source .

Visitor: and if the Blu ray cuts off it does it too

Shelley: As of now, there is no option to make any other input device as a default source.

Visitor: There are a lot of us with this problem, and more

Shelley: I understand your requirement and I apologize for the inconvenience.
Shelley: I will forward your message to our Engineering department to make other source as default.
Shelley: Once the information is available, it will be updated on Samsung web site.

Shelley: We appreciate your patience.

Visitor: OooooK

Shelley: Do you have any other questions for me?

Shelley: It has been a while since I've received a message from you. I am waiting for your response.

Visitor: You can also forward them to the link @, forums.cnet.com Anynet issue

Shelley: Sure.

Visitor: ok

Shelley: Can I help you with anything else?
Visitor: no thanks

Collapse -
Same Issue
by sronan / September 27, 2010 1:45 PM PDT

I bought all three units together and I am having the same issue, the audio receiver cannot switch to HDMI when the Blu-Ray goes off. I have a Shaw Communications HD-PVR. I was suggested to do a firmware upgrade on all 3 Samsung items. I have now done this but the Stereo Receiver will not power up.......this is more frustrating and annoying and I do agree with others on this forum that you (Samsung) do need to come up with a fix asap. This your own proprietary software that is causing conflicts and issues.

Collapse -
Optic 3
by harevalocnet / September 29, 2010 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

I am having the same problem but have a simpler question to the Samsung_HD_Tech. why HDMI outputs 2 & 3 are Optic? that means that they are not HDMI, correct? I can only connect the blueray to either outputs 1 or 4 which show as HDMI in the display. same thing for the Telus TV Box but I try to connect in the TV output (HDMI 3) it shows Optic 3 in the display and of course the TV doesn't get any signal. So again, why are those showing as Optic if they are supposed to be HDMI?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.