Samsung forum

General discussion

Anynet+ Auto On?

by fbruxel / July 4, 2010 3:57 PM PDT

Hi, I've just bought a Samsung HT-C5550W home theatre system and I hooked it up to my Samsung LA46A650 tv, and one of the deciding factors for me was that I would be able to get rid of my Harmony remote and use 1 remote control by having 2 x Anynet+ devices.

I'm disappointed so far I don't see an Auto-On feature via Anynet+, instead I have to use the TOOLS menu on my tv remote, to then select the device and have it turned on. It does have an Auto-Off feature though which is great, but only covers one half of my integration.

Additionaly, the HT's remote doesn't seem to control any of the tv features, which is even more disappointing as ideally I'd only use the tv functions of ON / OFF, Input, Info, Guide and channel UP /DOWN - meaning I would prefer to use my HT's remote which is far my comprehensive to control features such as Internet@Tv, etc.

Any chance a Samsung technician can recommend how to best set it up so I get the most out of my integration, and advise if a firmware upgrade or something can rectify the lack of an Auto-On feature?

Thanks and regards,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anynet+ Auto On?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anynet+ Auto On?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anynet+ Auto On?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 5, 2010 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Anynet+ Auto On?

fbruxel,

The Auto On turns on the television when the HT-C5550 is turned on. I'm not sure why it's not powering on when you turn the HT system on.

I'll have to look at the manuals for your region, as this functionality can differ from region to region.

Would you please let me know which of these sites best represents which region you're inquiring from?

http://www.samsung.com/us/function/ipredirection/ipredirectionLocalList.do

I do know that the Anynet+functionality is designed to be used through the TV remote as the primary remote, although the volume options for the HT system would still need to be controlled through the secondary remote.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HT-C5550W
by fbruxel / July 5, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Anynet+ Auto On?

Hi there, thank you for the prompt reply.

I am enquiring from Australia.

My TV's manual can be found here: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=AU&CttFileID=2816262&CDCttType=EM&ModelType=N&ModelName=LA46A650A1M&VPath=EM/201002/20100218173402015/[OPEN_SOURCE_GUIDE]BN68-02223A.pdf

My HT's manual can be found here: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=AU&CttFileID=2921006&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=N&ModelName=HT-C5550W&VPath=UM/201004/20100409102414562/HT-C5500_XSA_0209-HDMI_NO.pdf

Last night I upgraded the firmware of the HT system, and worked out how to control most of the tv functions from the HT remote, and I can manually turn on the tv using the HT remote, or manually turn on the HT using the TV remote - but just to clarify what I'm after is to be able to press POWER once in either remote (I don't really care which one) and have both devices turn on and off at the same time.

Additionally, I last night installed a Netgear Stora NAS drive which is DLNA certified, and I bought it the same day I bought the HT system as the HT-C5550W is listed as havingthe ALL SHARE feature and DLNA. Strangely, the text in Samsung Australia's website does not mention DLNA (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theatre/home-theatre-systems/HT-C5550W/XSA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=feature) - in fact that whole section of text seems to be from a different product as it refers to a Samsung TV BDP-C9000 instead of the HT system. However, other Samsung sites such as the UK (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-cinema/home-cinema-systems/HT-C5550/XEU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail) do state the system has DLNA:

"Now you can enjoy movies, music and photos from your PC and other mobile devices, right on your TV screen. With Samsung's Allshare (powered by DLNA) you can wirelessly (Built-in Wifi or Samsung LAN adaptor required) sync your PC with your Blu-ray Home Cinema System to stream multimedia content such as your favourite home movies or family photos."

The manual refers me to an additional software (Samsung PC Share) which is not exactly what I was expecting - it means I have to use my computer to share things, not other DLNA devices. Are you able to help me set up the HT-C5550W to connect to my DLNA drive (Netgear Stora) or any other DLNA device with media? A big part of my decision to purchase the HT-C5550W was DLNA as I intended to have my media served directly to this device to play music / photos / videos on-demand from my local storage unit.

Thank you in advance once again for your kind assistance.

Felipe

Collapse -
Feeling your pain
by BlackOrkDown / July 5, 2010 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: HT-C5550W

No help from me but i am feeling your pain. I am in Australia too and i recently purchased the HT-C655W. It's proving more trouble than it was worth, even screwing the bases on to the tallboy speakers cut my hands up pretty bad, one of the screw holes in the same position on all 4 bases just wouldn't go in, im assuming it was a design flaw, too much of a coincidence.

And now i cant even get the system to play sound out of all speakers when im trying to listen to music....but it decided to work fine with DVD's.......sigh, feel let down by samsung this time.....usually love them.

Collapse -
Samsung TV with HT
by jw650 / July 5, 2010 5:38 PM PDT

I have different models but a similar set-up. I believe the power design is intentional, and probably a compromise. Many (most?) users wouldn't want the HT on every time they switched on the TV, but it makes sense for the HT to turn on the TV and for the TV to turn off the HT. It might be helpful for users like you if there were an option in the HT menu to turn the TV off.

The only suggestion I can make is to use a separate, programmable remote. Some of these support multiple devices and can have "macro" commands that perform multiple functions, such as switching on several devices. The Samsung TVs have discrete commands for ON and OFF, even though they're not programmed on their native remotes.

As for DLNA, there's a Samsung guide on getting started. It's a PDF, so searching with the right terms on samsung.com should find it. I believe the Netgear NAS devices come with Twonkyserver, which can be set up for Samsung devices if it doesn't work out of the box, and has a dedicated support forum. Generally, you may find you need to consult the support forum for each specific media device you want to network. Most of them are more user-oriented than this one.

Collapse -
HT-C5550W
by fbruxel / July 13, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

Hi Samsung tech, any updates on these queries?

Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
HT-C5550W
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2010 7:13 AM PDT

fbruxel,

Anything in particular?

The option for programmable remotes is already there, and many of the Harmony remotes (even as low as the 300) have code banks for many devices. If you want to go that route, you can control those options through the remote rather than using Anynet+.

As far as turning the units on and off with Anynet+, I explained it, but if there's something you want me to address further, I'll be happy to look into it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HT-C550W
by fbruxel / July 14, 2010 7:29 AM PDT

Hi mate, thanks for the prompt response.

My two queries are:

1. You mentioned "The Auto On turns on the television when the HT-C5550 is turned on. I'm not sure why it's not powering on when you turn the HT system on." - I cannot see an "Auto On" feature - only "Auto Off". Where / how can I find this?

2. Are there any guides / how to's thath you know of for linking up the HT-5550W to a NAS drive instead of a PC using the Samsung PC Share Manager?

Thank you very much.

Felipe

Collapse -
HT-C550W
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2010 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: HT-C550W

fbruxel,

1. The Anynet+ function would be included with this. Turning on a Samsung Anynet+ enabled HT system should start a Samsung Anynet+ enabled TV to power on and go to the correct input.

2. NAS drives may or may not work, depending on the size, formatting, manufacturer, or a number of different variables. Some users have tried Twonky or Tvseristy for streaming through a PC, but the NAS should be in FAT32 format, and the files have to be compatible to the formats listed in the manual.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Issue
by MarcBart / September 23, 2010 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: HT-C550W

Hi there,

I have the PS50B850 tv and the HT-C7550W cinema systems. I have been pulling my hair out with this. But basically from what I have read above, are you saying that if you turn the HT system on with the HT remote the TV will turn on. But if you use the TV remote, the TV will turn on, but not the HT system??

This is definitely the case with my set up, which is quite anoying as my TV's remote is far better than the HT remote, in every sense.

I have also found that the HDMI inputs into the HT-C7550W do not work well. They can only be described as intermetiant at best, sometimes they will work, other times, not at all or I just get audio. I have got 1.3 certified HDMI cables. Adding to that, using the 2 HDMI inputs into the HT-C7750W is useless anyways, as to change the source requires the HT-C7550 which, as stated is not very good quality. Also the source selection isnt displayed on the TV screen either, only on the HT-C7550 display, which is useless when you have the unit in a media cabinet. I thought one of the selling points of the anynet+ feature was one remote, that controlled other devices through HDMI, so they did not have to be visable!!

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. Ideally I would like to have my xbox and Virgin Media box(cable TV) inputted into the 2 HDMI ports on my HT-C7550, be able to change the source with some kind of visual on my TV and be able to use my PS50B850 remote!

At the moment I have to have all my inputs into my TV then output the optical back into the HT-C7550W!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.