Samsung forum

Question

Anynet+ and ARC setup

by Firepig58 / December 27, 2011 1:39 AM PST

I am having trouble getting my new D8000 TV and HT-D6500 to talk to each other using Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) and ARC. I have tried all combinations of settings I can think of but I cannot get sound to the home cinema amp from the TV tuner, nor can the TV discover the amp to use Anynet+. I have set up the connections per the amp's manual, with HDMI connection from the amp's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI In 2, which is the ARC enabled HDMI port. The instructions seem contradictory as to whether I also need an optical digital sound cable - I don't have one long enough to try it, but the whole point of ARC is to carry the sound over HDMI. I can use the amp with the Sky box, which is also connected to it by HDMI, or with a disk, and the amp passes the picture to the TV. I have tried turning on Sound over HDMI and switching the TV sound setting between internal and external speakers. Anynet+ is set to Auto.
What settings are essential on both devices to use Anynet+ and ARC? And what connections are needed - do I need an optical link, or perhaps a second HDMI cable?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anynet+ and ARC setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anynet+ and ARC setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Always call that in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2011 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Anynet+ and ARC setup

The problem with ARC is it is usually going to give you stereo (widely discussed why) so be sure to discuss that if you must. In short you should find the connections should be from source to HT then to the HDTV. Other setups tend to go badly as folk discover (again) stereo over ARC.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Update
by Firepig58 / December 31, 2011 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: Anynet+ and ARC setup

No answer in this forum, so I bought an optical cable and connected it between the TV and HT. I now have a way to get sound from the TV tuner (though the switching of sources is going to be far too complicated for most family members) but it makes no difference to Anynet+ - I still can't get the TV and HT to link. The message on attempting to link is "No device is found" and "receiver" is greyed out in the TV's Anynet+ menu.

Collapse -
(NT) In your case, it's time to call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, I have no idea what this means.
by Firepig58 / January 1, 2012 6:48 AM PST
Collapse -
In plain words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 7:40 AM PST

And I apologize for the words if they upset you.

In the US pick up a phone and dial 1800SAMSUNG to ask for help. The number varies with country.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved, mostly
by Firepig58 / January 11, 2012 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: In plain words.

<div>I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with Samsung technical support, mainly in long pauses while the operator read the manual from her screen. She clearly had no technical knowledge (and was even unfamiliar with technical terms) and there was no script for solving this problem. She ended up guaranteeing that if I upgraded the firmware on both devices it would definitely work - which of course it didn't (though I can't get the home theatre to upgrade from USB).</div><div> </div><div>Then on someone's advice in another forum I tried changing the HDMI cable. Great larrups of dongle! It worked. I immediately got both
HDMI-CEC (Anynet+) and ARC. I am kicking myself for not trying this basic step earlier. 0/10 for Samsung UK technical support (which probably boosts their average considerably).</div><div> </div><div>So much for "all HDMI cables are the same"! The cable was one of a batch I
bought cheaply on Amazon recently. </div><div> </div><div>In theory I don't think this should have worked - according to my online reading ARC works with any HDMI cable, and HDMI-CEC has been around forever; the
only thing you are supposed to need a 1.4 cable for is Ethernet over HDMI. The
cable that does work is labelled as 1.3. It may be that the first cable is defective -
I can't be bothered to test another from the same batch. But hey, it works! ARC
works automatically if I turn the TV source to TV - the home theatre switches to
Digital input and relays the TV's sound. I have removed the Toslink cable and it
still works.</div><div> </div><div>One disappointment with HDMI-CEC is that the HT-D6500 home theatre does not turn on
when the D8000 TV is turned on; it has to be turned on manually and loses track of the
source it last used, so you have to re-select the Sky box manually. This will
cause problems for the family who cannot understand multiple remotes and source
selection. I was hoping to leave both devices in HDMI-CEC mode
semi-permanently.</div><div> </div><div>I have made a tiny bit of progress on the headphones issue: turning on
"HDMI Audio" in the home theatre settings allows me to listen to the Blu-ray
player with the speaker sound muted by passing the sound to the TV, which has a
headphones socket. But for some reason switching the source to HDMI (for the Sky
box) turns off "HDMI Audio" and it has be manually reset.</div><div> </div><div>I do wish manufacturers would give a complete description of what each function does, eitherr in the manual or in an online source. You are left guessing from the brief mention in the manual. If anyone knows exactly how "HDMI Audio" functions, or the full effect of selecting internal or external speakers in the TV's menu, I'd like to know.</div><div> </div><div>Firepig58</div>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.