Samsung forum

General discussion

Any way to run a browser on Samsung LED TV 7100

by iduate / September 1, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

Opera runs off any device, WII, Nintendo, Mobile devices. So does Mozilla/Firefox.

I believe SAMSUNG's policy of only limiting internet@TV to just Yahoo Widgets is limiting, restrictive, and unfair. It is the same as Microsoft ANTI-TRUST violations limiting their operating system to only using or forcing to use IE vs. Netscape/Mozilla.

Has anyone figured out how to run a browser this OXYMORON "internet@TV" !!!!

Would be interested in seeing more support from other fooled tech buyers!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any way to run a browser on Samsung LED TV 7100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any way to run a browser on Samsung LED TV 7100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any way to run a browser on Samsung LED TV 7100
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 1, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

To answer your initial question, there is not a way to run a browser on Samsung LED TV's, including the UNxxB7100. I have no idea if it will or not.

Collapse -
Internet browser
by a_boxer / January 26, 2011 1:03 PM PST

I'm with the multitude here. There should be a browser. It is a no-brainer. Nice TV otherwise - but this sucks.

Collapse -
Internet is disconnecting LEDSmart tv UN50ES6100
by samledsmart / August 30, 2012 12:52 PM PDT

I bought new Samsung LED Smart TV UN50ES6100 and connected to wireless network but not able to watch videos, It is dsconneting every 60-90 second some vidoes is are running little long, The following message is showing

"your last browser session ended unexpectedly, Restore last session ? or go to Home Page ?"

after few seconds the Home page will appear automatically.

any idea why this is happening ?I have connected wireline also There is no issue with my internet connectivity.

The reason I bought Smart TV to connect internet but I am not able to watch videos through TV.

I appreciate your valulable suggestions,

Collapse -
This is a well discussed area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2012 1:12 AM PDT

If a web site does not work with the TV, unlike your Windows PC you get to ask the web site to support these new Smart TVs.

Again, the web browser in these things is not as capable as a PC.

Collapse -
2012 SmartTV has a Browser
by TecnoPhob / November 1, 2012 12:23 AM PDT

I have the UN55ES7150F SmartTV, this is the 2012 version where the Samsung SmartHub includes lots of apps as well as a browser. Be advised this is a Samsung "IE" lookalike browser and does have issues, buffering, and JAVA support being two. Browsing is fairly simplistic though navagation between open tabs (multiple sites open on different pages) is a bit tedious and requires you go to the history and select the the other window(s). Sites that use JAVA or require JAVA, just not going to work all that well, according to Samsung support they support JAVA Scripts, but not JAVA, how that happens I do not know as JAVA would have to run the script, anyway my direct experience is that JAVA scripts are not being supported.

Buffering continues to be a major issue with Samsung SmartTV, Skype, HULU and NETFLIX with HD content have been improved with latestest firmware and stream very nicely, but other APPS such as YouTube and internet sites are sketchy at best where the streams just freeze, lockup, or the session aborts. Running speedtest to a website (that does not use JAVA) I find my 50Mbps connectivity to only be showing 9Mbps through the SmartTV / Browser...disconnect the ethernet from TV and plug into a laptop and presto chango connection test to same website shows 50Mbps. I think Samsung is interjecting there hub as a server inbetween the TV and the ISP, that and the browser are both suspect. Samsung support is sending a local technician to replace the network adapter internal to the SmartTV today, I really do not think this is going to fix the bandwidth throttling and buffering issues but I called them and am going to let it play out as it may.

With all of thatsaid , general internet browseing is operational, the SmartTV unit that I have came with a bluetooth keyboard with mousepad, though the SmartTV still pops up the onscreen keyboard and there needs to be a way to disable that, when you start typing on the physical keyboard the onscreen greys out but remains on the screen, very tedious indeed. I am about ready to throw in the towel for browsing use, the other SmartTV apps are great, just browsing and JAVA support that so far is a entry level attempt...that will not make me return the SmartTV, the other features and operation with viewing of media content is just AWESOME, I know Samsung will eventually update firmware or software to get this better...if I really have to I will use a small laptop with wireless keyboard and mouse and use the SmartTV as the monitor, yes a bit self defeating but is workable I suppose.

Collapse -
some basic tech info
by ronf572 / November 29, 2012 4:19 PM PST

@technofob: Java and Javascript are not related other than they are both computer languages.
It was a naming trick to fool people when Java was hot, some idiot decided ECMAscript should be called Javascript. So running one Java, that is compiled as a program and running Javascript that is interpreted line by line as a web page loads/runs are no where near the same.
As for browser issues...I understand some browser need to be really robust and support alot of web technologies nowadays. The issue I am told is the devices made as media boxes for tv and even inside tvs are low power processors with limited memory and therefore can't "reliably" process complex web technologies. That's a good argument except...almost all of these devices support one of the biggest processor and memory hogs Flash that is the basis of the YouTube video app they all have. Javascript is almost always just client side processing (running in the device not on the web server you are accessing) but I don't buy it being to heavy for any hardware made in the last 10 years. Heck RaspberryPi rund a browser capable of showing 1080p video content from a web page, certainly these other devices can learn from a $35 programming kit.

Collapse -
Wish you had this in a post on its own.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: some basic tech info

There are more issues than the $35 dollar kit. We also must consider patents and more.

I find that many consumers are blissfully unaware of that area. They want, they don't want to know.

Collapse -
Re: Video disconnecting on TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 31, 2012 2:47 AM PDT

Hey samledsmart,

Could you tell me how are you watching these videos? Which application are you using?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Browser On TV
by donbuczynski / September 1, 2009 1:33 PM PDT

You can use the TV with any browser; the TV just needs to be connected to a computer via the PC input. Wink

Seriously, in my opinion, it would be very tedious to navigate web pages using a TV remote. It could be argued that cell phones have similar capability. But I would not be interested in viewing phone limited web pages on a HDTV.

That said, I suspect that future Samsung HDTV's will include some form of built in limited PC technology with provisions for keyboard and mouse connections.

Collapse -
Browser On TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 1, 2009 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Browser On TV

Suggestion noted, thanks. As of now, I don't know of any mouse or keyboard that would work with the USB ports on the television. They require drivers and that wasn't the focus of this year's offering for widgets.

Collapse -
Browser and keyboard - Yes, please
by I_am_Maria / October 5, 2009 8:41 PM PDT

Even though I don't need half the connectivity features bundled with my 8 Series LED (I can do so much more, and do it so much easier hooking it up directly to my laptop), I bought it hoping the widgets would take off and that I'd be able to do more directly on my TV in the future.

However, I got fed up of the virtual keyboard after about 2 mins, as I suspect many people have/will. I'm now not sure about how successful widgets will be without the option of a keyboard.

As far as the browser goes - my laptop has been my complete entertainment and communication center. I'd love for my tv to take over that role, the addition of a browser would bring me a step closer.

Just my 2 cents.

Collapse -
Let Samsung Hear US!
by iduate / November 3, 2009 10:58 PM PST

Thanks I_AM_MARIA for your commentary.

Hooking up the Samsung LED to the Laptop is always a possibility but as a second monitor very cumbersome and not wireless. The wireless connectivity via Media Server is also very limited.

I'm just talking about simple Web Surfing which is something that even a WII with the Opera Browser permits without a huge baggage of overhead given it operates over a small linux OS.

You need just the same to run Widgets, so I see Samsung's limitation to only Widgets as being outright restrictive and collusionary with Yahoo.

Please open up the internet for web surfing over the LED otherwise you're taking a beautiful piece of equipment and making us use other inputs as our basis for navigation.

Collapse -
Killer samsung app - browser for @internet
by tomuk007 / September 11, 2010 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Let Samsung Hear US!

Add a browser widget to a Samsung TV and it would be a big seller I am sure of it!

Text entry as per mobile phone on number keys, simple Gui etc.

The feature would sell Samsung TVs! That's gotta be what they want!

Collapse -
Totally agree
by jbceg / April 16, 2011 7:30 AM PDT

They need a browser! The have Google Map app but no browser.

Collapse -
K/B Mouse
by fredn24 / October 29, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

USB k/b & mouse are HID and built into almost all kernels known to man.

Collapse -
so there was not the focus ?
by Parasuco / March 13, 2011 7:37 AM PDT

"At the CES show in Las Vegas this year, Samsung promoted its Smart Hub technology prominently throughout its monstrous booth. Close to 70 percent of the 2011 HDTV Samsung models will have the Smart Hub installed on their systems. Smart Hub is Samsung's answer to the oncoming wave of internet tv."
" Web Browser: google and start googling and you can display the full web browsing"

"Browsing the web is also possible from the TV and users can download apps from Samsung's store. Samsung was the first to bring apps to HDTVs, and operates an open-source development community for a choice of apps. Both paid and free apps are offered.

Read more:

Collapse -
Open-source development community.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2011 7:39 AM PDT

So with both Google Chrome and Firefox being open-source, all you've got to do is port it to the Samsung.

Collapse -
No Browser app?? Really??
by rednroll / October 28, 2010 7:47 AM PDT

I just purchased a Samsung 55" LED 3D TV UN55C7100. I was so excited to get a TV that would connect to the internet because the last thing I want to do is sit in front of my PC to watch TV, when my living room where my Samsung TV is located, is much more comfortable and has a complete surround sound system. The 1st thing I did was go to the Samsung app store and was shocked that there was no internet browser app. available for this Samsung TV. I love this TV but I now feel duped.

Internet connectivity without an internet browser is like having telephone service without a telephone hand set.

Things like YouTube apps are fine and dandy, but I want access to other streaming video services besides YouTube, Netflix,etc and the way that is done is by use of a browser. It feels like I'm being forced to limit my selections of what I can watch by Samsung.

I'm guessing the SourceForge shareware programming folks share my desires, because it seems they have created firmware called SamyGO to do exactly what I described on Samsung TVs, but the last thing I want to do is hack my new TV.
See Here:

I want to be able to view streaming video from websites such as and

My iPhone has a web browser, my Sony PS3 has a web browser, and my PC has a web browser. So why doesn't my new Samsung TV which connects to the same internet as all these other electronic devices have a web browser? Please tell me there is a solution coming soon because the only use I've gotten from connecting my Samsung TV to the net so far is installing the latest software updates from Samsung.

Collapse -
You are correct...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2010 9:52 AM PDT

I should probably quantify that.

No browser is advertised on the Samsung televisions for 2010 or before.

Interesting. I noticed that there weren't any flash player or video streaming in that youtube video, or how many websites you can visit before the internal memory is filled with website clutter (cookies, etc) so I'm not sure if you're able to view movies there either.

There was no browser advertised, nor "surf the web" marketing. The Samsung Apps are that - applications that run within the television. If you're unhappy, don't feel duped. Get something that best fits your needs while you're still within the return policy. The option to connect your PC through either the 15-pin monitor cable, or through even HDMI these days exists, so that option may or may not work as a solution for you.

I don't want anyone feeling like they got taken or have "forced limitations". Clearly, there was a different expectation than what Internet@TV is. Samsung is not "limiting your selections", but rather trying to implement Apps and work with partnerships. If you're unhappy, do what makes you happiest.

Collapse -
No such thing as Not limiting selections and partnerships
by rednroll / October 29, 2010 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: You are correct...

[Quote]I don't want anyone feeling like they got taken or have "forced limitations". Clearly, there was a different expectation than what Internet@TV is. Samsung is not "limiting your selections", but rather trying to implement Apps and work with partnerships. If you're unhappy, do what makes you happiest.[/Quote]

By creating "Partnerships" that's EXACTLY what you are doing is limiting people's selections. There is no way to separate the 2 from each other like you are describing.

My Sammy TV has a digital Tuner connection. You don't have partnerships with Comcast, Direct TV,WOW, AT&T or DISH Network which makes me have to limit my selection to only those providers, but you some how think it's ok to limit my selections to Netflix, Blockbuster,VUDU, Hulu, CinemaNow in regards to streaming video providers through the internet connection???

I currently have a work around. I have a "SONY" PS3 connected to my SAMMY TV through HDMI and that has a Web Browser and also connects to the NET. I can even install a Linux OS and install Linux supported apps of my choice on the PS3. Or I could fire up one of my Laptops and connect that with an HDMI connection to the Sammy TV. But Why should I have to???

I'll let the market push Samsung in the direction of what people want on their TVs and what they want to do with their TV. Sony TV's now have a built in Web Browser and I'm sure Panasonic will follow along. I'm pretty certain Samsung will be forced to follow along or chose to fall behind. When you fall behind you might want to consider making the folks at SammyGO one of your partners, because as can be seen in this video below, this is the type of stuff that some of us would like to do with our $2000-$3000 Samsung TV with Internet connectivity we just purchased.

The only reason I even know "SammyGO" exists is because I Googled "Internet Browser app for Samsung TV" after I couldn't find one in the Samsumg App store.

I'll also further add, that Apple has "Partnerships" with all these same providers as Samsung, but my iPhone has a Safari Web Browser, as well as other 3rd party Web Browser options are available through Apple's iTunes store. Apple/iTunes has the same business model that Samsung is trying to follow. If Samsung isn't there with their App Store or found a developer to create a web browser for the Samsung TV, then that's fine but it's about time Samsung does get there, because once more people start buying Samsung TVs and find out there is no web browser app available, the more people will start to get upset and be looking to purchase from alternative manufactures.

Thanks for reading.

Collapse -
I just wanted to Add....
by rednroll / October 29, 2010 5:58 AM PDT

Here's a review posted on Amazon from someone else. So it seems not only is Samsung head strong on not providing a web browser they're actively trying to keep all doors closed to prevent others from doing it also.
[Quote]I just purchased series 7000 40 HD TV and part of the hype is ability to stream video to it. Well after getting it, the software and tools samsung provides stink, but samsung in their wisdom uses open source and other third party tools lime Samygo was availble. Works great and samsung does have a good picture. Well - the firmware version on TV was 1016 and SamyGo worked fine, until another feature called auto firmware update on TV started. It asked if I wanted to update, sure why not. The TV downloaded via my network and installed 1017 firmware.

The 1017 not only blocked ability to revert back to 1016, but encrpyted all widgets and USB add on's like SamyGo. So Samsung has decided to let their developers cripple use of third party tools and enhancements. Not only have they done this, their tools don't work anymore and they WILL NOT help you if you call.

This TV is worth NO MORE than $700.oo - don;t buy this and stay away from SAMSUNG - Sorry SAMSUNG you make great TV's but your lack of support and process of stopping people from added functionality is just STUPID.[/quote]

Collapse -
Two sides to every story
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 29, 2010 1:39 PM PDT

Well, there are two sides to that, yet no matter how I respond, it doesn't change your situation.

There's no browser on the 2010 models, and I don't suspect there will be one added later.

If you're not happy, and you feel duped, don't hold onto it and be a begrudged customer. Get something that fits your needs while you're within the return policy. I'd rather you be happy with your purchase and consider us in the future than to lose you forever over this.

Collapse -
Overall I'm happy
by rednroll / November 3, 2010 10:00 AM PDT

Overall, I'm happy with the TV. This is just one annoyance that I will have to learn to work around.

The end goal here is to make life simpler by offering more functionality and flexibility in one device, that would give each and every one of us options on how we would like to use our TV. My home theater includes a Harman/Kardon surround sound receiver and Infinity speakers, a Sony PS3, a Nintendo Wii and a DVD player. They're all connected together via HDMI connections except for the Wii. They are all networked on a Network switch and connect to the web via my network router. My home theater setup is already very complicated, when you think of all the Audio/Video and Network connections made between the separate devices, where I'm trying to reduce all the wires and clutter, while at the same time maintain the most flexibility and functionality. Things like not offering a web browser option on a TV which has internet connectivity makes life more complicated, in that now I have to connect 2 separate devices and power on 2 separate devices for a single functionality of being able to watch streaming video of "My Choice" from the provider of "My Choice".

This limitation either seems kind of short sighted on Samsung's part or it's an intentional design limitation driven by sales by limiting the streaming video option doors via "partnerships". Samsung seems pretty innovative and forward thinking, so I strongly believe the later is the case. I know you mentioned internal memory limitations as a concern earlier but I have a hard time believing that my new 7100 series Samsung TV which is capable of doing real-time 3D simulation video processing has less internal memory to work with than my iPhone 3GS which does offer a web browser with web based streaming video capabilities. FYI, I'm an electrical I know better.

I won't demonstrate my disappointment by returning my Samsung TV like you suggested, but I will demonstrate it by refusing to use any of the services of all Samsung streaming media "partnership" providers which seem to include Netflix, Blockbuster,VUDU, Hulu, and CinemaNow and I will recommend to others to do the same.

Thank you for your replies. Although, they may not be what I would like to hear, they are still appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: Two sides to every story
by whereismyblackbird / December 31, 2010 10:08 AM PST

I recently bought a Samsung "Internet" TV also, and I'm debating whether and how to return it through Amazon. It's looking like Sony is the way to go. When I called Samsung customer support today, after failing to get my questions answered using live chat, I received the same runaround on the phone. It was almost as if both people were being intentionally vague and non-responsive to my questions about internet connectivity. Then I read the above response and I sensed the same attitude. I don't think your CEO would want you debating with disappointed customers over the merits of their purchases. Are you saying that Samsung has enough customers already and the rest of us should go to Sony? Here's the deal -- when you advertise "internet connectivity", you must conclude that your advertisement is disingenuous if it leads the customer to believe something different. If you had written on the box what your brand couldn't do, then we both know that you would have lost the sale. For example, you would have never put the Sony comparison on your box. I only saw it after being disappointed with my purchase. Here's the bottom line: It's your choice to limit connectivity to just the apps that you're pushing. Your company can easily update the firmware to provide better internet connectivity for little cost compared to how much more competitive you will be in the long run. It's your choice.

Collapse -
The other side.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 10:12 AM PST

The more I think about it, browsers are a minefield of patent infringing problems.

I wonder if there is some patent on the browser in the HDTV?

And yes there are such patents. Maybe it's all about patents and not what is possible.

Collapse -
Two sides to every story
by tp0908 / January 18, 2011 2:29 AM PST

If LG can do it on their smart TV, why can't Samsung?

Whenever friends ask me for preference, I recommend LG Smart TV. It does all what Samsung do plus web enabled browser (not available in my higher end C8000 TV). It's a big deal, we're in a digital age where web browsing is part of our lifestyle.

HDTech is right, if you still have a chance to return your Samsung TV, I highly recommend you to do it with no further delay and check out LG Smart TV. It's a lot better.

Don't feel duped, get LG SmartTV

Collapse -
Advice Taken
by ApacheTiger37 / March 7, 2011 11:28 PM PST

You are definitely right here. I am returning mine and going this route. I was shocked and felt "dupped." Yeah, "dupped" is the right word for it. Unless you do a lot of research and are tech savvy you would most definitely be expecting a basic Internet web browser with anything labeled "Internet." Heck, what is the Internet without a web browser? Now, if they had just used the word "Net" instead, that would be less confusing.

Collapse -
Internet Browser
by tjwal / December 2, 2010 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: You are correct...

The whole internet@tv is a joke. Without a browser you are going to have to hook up a an external box anyway. Why they even bothered to engineer it into their TVs and BD players is beyond me.

Collapse -
100% Agree
by rednroll / December 16, 2010 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Internet Browser

"The whole internet@tv is a joke. Without a browser you are going to have to hook up a an external box anyway. Why they even bothered to engineer it into their TVs and BD players is beyond me."

I agree completely. After I ran an internet connection to this TV, I feel like I completely wasted my time and money doing so. Like I previously stated, the ONLY use I got from this was having the ability to update the TV with firmware revisions, which I later learned where pretty much nothing but an update to prevent other 3rd party developers from being able to run a browser on the TV.

Collapse -
I guess, I bought the WRONG TV
by rednroll / December 16, 2010 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: 100% Agree

Found this write up about Sony's latest Internet connected TVs.

"Sony's Internet TV allows you to watch TV, use Andriod Apps and Surf the Web all at the same time from the comfort of your living room sofa. The NSX series adds plenty of internet functionality to the proven Bravia LED TV platform.

Most {Cough...cough...SAMSUMG) internet connected TVs give you access to a few apps or games as well as streaming content but don't have web search or browsing built into the TV. Sony's Internet TVs are powered by Google TV and use the Andriod platform with the Chrome browser built in and an Intel Atom processor. The models feature Sony's premium streaming service "Video On Demand powered by Qriocity" as well as pre-installed apps including CNBC, Napster, NBA, Netflix streaming movies and TV shows, Pandora internet radio, Twitter, and YouTube.

The remote features a full QWERTY keyboard for easy text entry as well as an optical mouse for easy access to web pages and the interface. Sony's Internet TV operating system can download upgrades automatically so the TV can stay current long into the future. Built-in WiFi (Cough...Cough...You have to buy a separate over priced proprietary USB dongle on SAMSUNG TVs, to be able to do the same) makes connecting this TV to your home network simple and painless.

These Sony Internet TVs are the most advanced internet connected TVs we have seen yet, combining the power of Google TV and full web search/surfing capability into a sleek, well designed package."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.