Samsung forum

Rant

Any way to downgrade my blu ray player?

by 1qck162 / May 9, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

Bought a BDP-1500 player back in Jan '09. Used it for about 3 months just fine for blu ray and standard DVD. Around the Summer 2009 we moved into her parents house for a few months. During this time I packed everything up and stored it. The home theater box (receiver, speakers, game consoles and TV) I kept with us in the closet so it wasn't exposed to the heat of a storage unit.

Fast forward to about August, I hook everything up in our new place. We enjoy BR discs no problem. I go out and buy a new movie (I don't remember which one). It doesn't play, I get 'Disc can not be played'. Quick check on the Samsung site I see I need to update my firmware. No big deal, I'm a computer guy I'm used to this. Firmware update completed, and all of a sudden NO discs play.

I call Samsung, they say Reset and update (but I just updated and it bricked my DVD player?!) So I reset and update, lo and behold it still doesn't work. They want $75 to fix it (what happened to the 12 month warranty?)

Anyway I forget about it for about 6 months (I had my Xbox to play movies). On a whim I decide to look for firmware updates. There's a new one (I think 2.1 or 2.2). So I install it, I get blu ray and DVD access back (yay!). Then it just stops working. It doesn't detect any discs (it says 'No Disc' on the display). We figured out if we open/close it half a dozen times it usually starts playing them again.

Once again it's time to move. So we move, I pack it up & forget about it. I just pulled it out today. Sure as fecal matter, I can't watch anything at all. I jump on Samsung's site and see a new Firmware as of 12/22/2011 (is my problem fixed!?!?!!!)

Download and update the BD-P1500 player. Hey! Regular DVD's are playing without a problem! Hooray! (but wait, I have been using my Xbox to watch DVD's....). Anyway I take out the DVD and put in one of my BR discs (I choose Journey to the Center of the Earth because I know it worked before). Sure enough... display says 'No Disc'.

Honestly, I'm really upset about this. I bought it along with a TV for the purpose of enjoying High Def movies. I only was able to watch it for about 4 months total (over the past 3 years?!) Granted I haven't been real pro-active in troubleshooting it, but I troubleshoot tech stuff all day and moving twice during the 12month warranty really didn't help out much.

So my question is......I want to get some old(er) firmware to downgrade my firmware back to something else. What can I do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any way to downgrade my blu ray player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any way to downgrade my blu ray player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very sorry.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 10, 2012 12:11 AM PDT

1qck162,

Let me state up front that I really am very sorry. I can see that it's beyond annoying for the device to work and then not work and then work again back and forth until you forget what it can do.

Now since you're a tech guy, I'm going to say some technical things here. The OS is designed to only accept newer versions of firmware. You may have heard restoring factory settings does this. It does not. Once you have updated the firmware, the system will only accept higher versions of its software. So unless you want to really hack on the device, there is no way to go back at all. Of course, I ought to advise you that doing any hacking would void any future warranty allowances Samsung might be inclined to make.

On the other hand, if everything happened as you said it did, I'd like to investigate your problem. Any chance you might have a transaction # from any time you contacted support on this issue? If not, and you're interested in me looking into this still, go to http://www.facebook.com/SamsungSupport and click on the "Support Form" button; fill out the form and for HD Tech from CNET to look at it.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
completed
by 1qck162 / May 10, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Very sorry.

I've filled out the form.

Unforgettably I don't have any information or case #'s (as I've spoken with them twice, the last time was yesterday via online chat that I didn't keep track of after I received the same response of reset, update firmware and try again, if it fails it needs service).

I'm not sure if either of these help, but the Session ID's I have from my chat window URL from yesterday were 1336597274558 and 433546546

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.