Laptops forum

Resolved Question

any tips for Samsung RF551?

by semesh_3 / January 10, 2012 3:56 AM PST

Hi all,does any of you have SAMSUNG RF511? dont know to much about the Samsungs laptops.I found it with: Intel Core i7 2630QM Sandy Bridge, 15.6" LED 1366x768 mat, RAM 6GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT540M 2GB, HDD 750GB 5400 rot, DVD, WiFi, Bluetooth, webkamera, , 6 cell batery, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bitDo you think that mat screen can affect work in photoshop? Im not big fan of glossy screens.Thanks

semesh_3 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: any tips for Samsung RF551?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: any tips for Samsung RF551?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by semesh_3

Collapse -
I have the other model RC512.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2012 4:07 AM PST
Collapse -
satisfied with Samsung?
by semesh_3 / January 11, 2012 4:20 AM PST

Hi Bob,

You're right with the LCD, but I still cant decide what to buy this Samsung or LENOVO IDEAPAD G770 Dark Metal
( Intel Core i5 2430M Sandy Bridge, 17.3" 1600x900, RAM
8GB, AMD Radeon HD6650M 2GB, HDD 500GB 7200 rot, DVD, WiFi,
Bluetooth, Webkamera 2Mpx, USB 3.0, HDMI, 6 cell batery, Windows 7
Home Premium 64-bit
)
At Lenovo I dont like that is glossy and maybe 17'' can be not so comfortable to carry it, therefore Im thinking more about Samsung even has smaller display(as You said I can use an external screen if I'll need)

Are you satisfied with Samsung as laptop? I know they are good in electronics(tv,mobiles,etc) but about laptops haven't heard that much....

Thank you:)

Collapse -
So far so good. But
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 4:32 AM PST

I did complain to them about their software. It failed to install a newer driver for the wifi and said wifi didn't work with my router until that was installed. Other routers were OK. That's a bug.

One of the best features is the wake from zero power sleep in under 5 seconds. Does the Lenovo have that?

Another great touch is the battery. It allows me to set the battery to 80% charge which is well known to extend the battery LIFE (not to be confused with run time.) Good idea!

I don't consider 17 inch laptops to be laptops but rather desktop replacements. After you lug one around you may decide to go back to 15 inch models.
Bob

Collapse -
Kind of agree that 17'' looks more as desktop
by semesh_3 / January 11, 2012 5:12 PM PST
In reply to: So far so good. But

Did you have any trouble with hinges ? do u know if they are from metal covered in plastic?

At my old Asus the hinges are quite bad, LCD started to move/balance very fast after they were repaired.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Looking at the hinges.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2012 3:07 AM PST

I think the 800 lb gorilla could have trouble with the ones on the rc512. But I am not going to try the pencil test.

The parts are alum so what makes you think there is a problem here? Did you see the pencil test? All notebooks we tried it on failed. Bad test in my view.
Bob

Collapse -
hinges
by semesh_3 / January 12, 2012 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: Looking at the hinges.

Was just a simple curiosity about hinges, as I had very frequently problem with them at my old Asus
Havent seen the pencil test

Collapse -
The pencil test is not so much a test
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2012 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: hinges

But a way to break almost any laptop. Just put a pencil above the keyboard near the hinge and close the lid. We could only try this on laptops bound for the recyclers but the results were disastrous.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop news..:)
by semesh_3 / February 29, 2012 3:11 AM PST

Hi Bob,
I bought the Samsung like a month ago....happy with the LCD and the laptop itself:)
Haven't found yet how to set the battery at 80%.......
-someone told me that he is taking battery out if has laptop in electricity...but I think is not good idea because if the electricity is down the HW might be gone.

I have a small issue with the webcam, is working but 1st time was everything in dark red, 2nd time, was perfect and after very dark colors , like im somewhere in the basement:)....Im not sure from where to set the colors/contrast.

Will you be so kind and give me some help with the battery and the cam, pls?
Thank you.

florin

Collapse -
No idea on the camera. Mine is fine more...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: laptop news..:)
Collapse -
Thanks
by semesh_3 / March 7, 2012 8:09 PM PST

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info reg. the battery, set it Happy
with the webcam is strange(as on my previous laptop was ok with the room light) but now on Samsung's cam is very dark. I tried to put some lamp next to me for e.g and looked a bit better, but I cant say that great.
I'll try to google it to see if I can find something as I can set the cam quality only through the messenger which Im using (I dont have the cam. in My computer (for e.g as C,D drive)

florin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.