PC Applications forum

Any search engines that don't involve targeted ads?

by dennphill / December 9, 2012 6:38 AM PST

Man, I am sick at heart. I can't look any anything on the web these days without constant bombardment with ads related to recent search queries. I am sick and tired and (for an older gentleman, who is generally quite cool, calm and understanding) now getting POed at the situation. I am reading a nice book on the history of the Everglades, and keep coming to references of locations, old towns, rivers, and so on in the Everglades and elsewhere in south Florida, etc. and when I go to my PC and open any search results, half way down the page I run into a section of personal targeted ads. OK. I ordered some Burberry perfume for my wife for a 'stocking stuffer' a few days ago. I was also looking for a good quality bright solar LED spotlight to illuminate some trees in my yard that are decorated for Christmas. (Very hard to find bright ones!) And so on. So, when I am looking to find out where "Paradise Key" is (or was), I don't want some search results to be giving me ad for perfume, LED lighting, and so on. Google and You Tube keep and track what I see and where I go...p***es me off, but that's what you get for 'free info' access. But the ads have got to stop. Any optional search engines out there? I'd gladly PAY for being able to get information without having to deal with the ads. Or am I just being difficult? (Oh, yes and I have done all the crap with 'opting out of Google tracking, You Tube history, and all that - it's all BS...you cannot really opt out if you use these services.) I ASSUME Bing and Chrome - which I have never used - are as bad? Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any search engines that don't involve targeted ads?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any search engines that don't involve targeted ads?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try Duckduckgo.com?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 6:41 AM PST

Chrome didn't have a single ad. Those come from sites, toolbars and such.

Collapse -
I am not answering my own question but...
by dennphill / December 9, 2012 11:54 PM PST

...clarifying. I meant to ask is there a 'browser' not a 'search engine' that won't give me the targeted ads and tracking? First response from r.proffitt - thanks! - sent me to duckduckgo.com which seems interesting. But opening it with either Firefox or IE gives me duckduckgo's search results and on opening them, I still get a 'Consumer Reports' ad in the header, and midway down the page a consumerreports.org ad for appliance reviews...further on yet another an ad for Orient watches at the discountwatchstore.com, then along further an ad for Christmas LEDs at ChristmasLightsEtc.com. Proffitt also suggests Chrome...I'll try that. (Doesn't anyone else notice how many more ads there are recently? And how very intrusive and insistent they? Maybe it's only me.) Thanks for the attention.

Collapse -
I'd start looking at my browser add ons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 11:58 PM PST

Here I don't see those ads but my install is clean. The only addons I have are as follows.

1. AdBlock Plus.
2. WOT (Web Of Trust)
3. Flash.

That's it!

Can you share what browser add-ins you have?

Collapse -
What is the targeted ad?
by try2trust / February 15, 2013 8:11 PM PST

I am a newhand here,what are the targeted ads mentioned in the information above? Could anyone here tell me? Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Since I don't get such ads, but have helped others block ads
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 11:05 PM PST

I can't tell you what they could be. Let's see if those that got them will share.

Collapse -
Search engine or browser without ads
by javelinadream / October 31, 2013 5:19 PM PDT

The best way to avoid ads in browsers is with AdBlock. No matter what browser, some ads will get through.

For search engines, you already tried DuckDuckGo. I use IX Quick to avoid ads. Or try Yandex, as the ads seem less annoying, maybe just different. With Yandex, the Amazon and Google advertising (everywhere) is less bothersome..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.