TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Any mention of Mitsubishi's Next-Gen Laser HDTV at CES 2007?

by joemajestic / January 13, 2007 8:51 AM PST

Does anyone know if Mitsubishi was talking about there next-gen Laser DLP technology at CES 2007? I read several articles, including an article by David Katzmaier (CNET), that Mitsubishi would likely show-off a pre-production version of this technology at CES.

I am very interested in knowing more about this technology and more specific, when will it be available to consumers.

Here is the link to David Katzmaier's article:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6482184.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any mention of Mitsubishi's Next-Gen Laser HDTV at CES 2007?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any mention of Mitsubishi's Next-Gen Laser HDTV at CES 2007?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
JUST SAW IT
by stewart norrie / January 13, 2007 9:52 AM PST

Picture quality is great brightness is fine the same as a d.l.p. with the lamp. stew

Collapse -
Saw it at CES?
by joemajestic / January 13, 2007 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: JUST SAW IT

Hi Stew,

Great! I have a few questions:

Did you see it at CES?

Was it a pre-production unit or just a prototype?

What size screen was it and how deep was the overall cabinet?

I read that the bezel on these sets would be very, very small. Did you take notice if that was the case?

Thanks
Joe

Collapse -
HI JOE SAW IT AT A BIG BOX STORE
by stewart norrie / January 14, 2007 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Saw it at CES?

I was just crusing thru the store but did not really check it out. just looked at the label on front. I own a 72" d.l.p. set with lamp ha ha and the picture looked about the same as my t.v. In closing when I bought my Toshiba it was state of the art one year ago now its labeled as junk with the fans, wheels and lamp. but so far looking at all the new technology I cant see any improvement in picture quality, But prices are at a point even homeless folks can afford one. and the funny part now people want and crave the cheapest crap on the market.WEhy buy offbrand junk when for a few bucks more you can buy top brand hi-quality t.v.s I saw the walmart specials and almost went blind ha ha steweee

Collapse -
I think we are talking about different HDTV's
by joemajestic / January 15, 2007 4:03 AM PST

I was referring to the new Laser-Based DLP technology that is not yet available to the public. If you click on the link to David Katzmaier's article above you can read about the technology.

So I'm not sure what HDTV you saw at the Big Box store but it must be something else.

Mitsubishi is talking like they are close to releasing a Laser-Based DLP set by the end of this year but there is nothing official that I can find on the web.

If anyone else has new information to add to this thread, please do so.

Collapse -
well
by masterying01 / January 15, 2007 4:24 AM PST

if by lasers, u mean LED, then samsung has had a led rear projection tv out for quite a few months now.

picture quality not as great as hyped up to be.....or at least that is what i have heard.

Collapse -
No, I am not referring to LED based DLP's
by joemajestic / January 15, 2007 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: well

David Katzmaier wrote an article about Laser based HDTV's last April:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6482184.html

This technology would replace the mercury lamp and use 3 seperate lasers to produce light for the DLP chip.

This was all the talk in the spring of 2006.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.