Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Any good, safe and free music download programs?

by bluelove73 / July 2, 2006 11:45 AM PDT

Hi,

I use/used Lime Wire to download music. It was a really good program for me, until it messed up the connection of the music files with Windows Media Player (at least I think Lime Wire is to blame). Not to mention, many people on here say Lime Wire is not a good program.

So, does anyone know of any good, safe and free music download programs that I could get and use for both my HP a1010n desktop and my Compaq Presario V2582us?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any good, safe and free music download programs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any good, safe and free music download programs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ares
by OStrolphant / July 2, 2006 12:11 PM PDT

I personally use Ares as my main music download program (legal downloads of course Wink ) - http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/ its free, open source, it's small enough of a network that not many big people notice it and large enough that you'll find more music than you'll ever need or want - and it won't mess with any of your music players if that's what you're worried about. Happy downloading Happy

Collapse -
What about Spyware and Viruses?
by bluelove73 / July 2, 2006 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: ares

Is Ares an all around safe program, as good as an all around good music download program?

Thanks for the info! Happy

Collapse -
mykazaagold.com
by nsavusa / July 2, 2006 12:52 PM PDT

The only program that I know of that does all that you ask is My Kazaa Gold. I have been using it for years and I have never had a problem with it. Works great everytime. Best part is... no stupid popup ads or other crap like that.

Check it out here... http://www.mykazagold.com

Collapse -
My past experience with Kazaa
by bluelove73 / July 2, 2006 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: mykazaagold.com

I used to use Kazaa and Kazaa Lite and, quite frankly, they sucked. There were too many bad files out there, it made my computer go SLOW and would make every program feel like it was dragging ***... It was just not working like it should.

Is this Kazaa Gold anything like I've described? If it is, thanks, but no thanks... if it's safe, quick and great quality, then I might just try it. Happy

Thanks!

Collapse -
re free music downloads
by rojonoho / July 6, 2006 10:08 AM PDT

Hi I,ve being using limewire now for about 12 months and never had a problem, I scan everything I get with my anti virus and I am happy with it.

Collapse -
Limewire no good
by tennesseetiger / August 3, 2006 11:09 AM PDT

I used to use Limewire too until I got a keylogger with a file. I was lucky I had a good spyware scanner that picked it up straight away. I had been getting suspicious about Limewire before that though - there seem to be some strange things going on with it.

Collapse -
No
by Coa.Cao / August 14, 2006 8:43 AM PDT

They are all the same and full of viruses and offensive rubbish, basically if your niave you will fall to the same guff until you learn the rules of the game.
If there is a forum on your site then go to it and learn the basic rules they will tell you what to do and what not to do.
Limewire is full of extremely offensive stuff and unless you can configure the Tools-Options-Filters-Keywords then you will get all sorts of stuff.
Hope this helps
Tommy

Collapse -
Tommy
by Tess Tess / July 23, 2008 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: No

so do u think it is ok to use limewire if we do the tools - options - filter thing?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.