The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Any future for TiVo and HD recording?

by jhracing / December 14, 2005 8:22 AM PST

Is it just me, or is the silence of TiVo about HD recording not a good sign for life as we know it? Doesn't Molly want her HD served via TiVo?

DIRECTV has come out with their own HD DVR (has anyone used one?), and other than atrocious cable box HD DVRs and maybe a Media PC solution, there really are no other choices. Am I the only one who thinks I should be able to TiVo HD shows just like I've been able to do with SD for years? Am I doomed to years of despair with really, really bad cable box DVRs? Isn't this a market opportunity for someone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any future for TiVo and HD recording?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any future for TiVo and HD recording?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have DirecTV's HD TiVo
by acedtect / December 14, 2005 8:31 AM PST

Works like TiVo. It has a huge capacity for non-HD shows and works perfectly for HD.

Collapse -
I've heard it's great, but...
by jhracing / December 14, 2005 11:51 AM PST

I thought I read that DIRECTV was going to stop selling and supporting it, whatever that means. It doesn't seem like it's going to be a solution for the future or even for purchase in a few months.

Collapse -
comcast?
by LiK / December 15, 2005 12:06 AM PST

ok, i read that comcast and tivo are working on a dvr for them to release next year. but i have no clue if it'll have HD. it seems everyone dislikes comcast's current DVRs compared to tivo

Collapse -
Re: comcast?
by jhracing / December 15, 2005 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: comcast?

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8000HD cable box/DVR from Time Warner. It does have two tuners, which is nice, but:

1. If you start to watch a show that it's currently recording, it starts you in real time, not at the beginning of the show. Wonderful for sports.

2. If you're watching a show while the recording ends, it immediately skips forward to real time to show you live TV. Again, real nice for sports where post-game shows (WHICH SHOW THE SCORE!!!) often follow games.

3. If it runs out of disk space, it doesn't tell you, it simply doesn't record any more shows.

4. There's no warning when recorded shows are about to be deleted, they just disappear one day.

5. If there's a conflict between three shows attempting to record at once, it lets you choose which one not to record. That show will not just be skipped that once, but it will never be recorded again. After the conflict you have to re-enter your recurring recording.

6. No searching for shows by keyword or category or anything like that. If you can't find a show on the current week's schedule (and you have to manually search day by day), you can't schedule it to record. So forget it if you miss some special and want to see it next time it shows.

Who programs these things? Have they ever seen a TiVo? Best practices people, best practices!

Collapse -
ah interesting
by LiK / December 15, 2005 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: comcast?

holy crap, no warning when you run out of space? that seems like a very important feature. yeesh.

Collapse -
TiVo Announced "standalone" HDTiVo at CES 2005
by pkscout / December 14, 2005 9:12 PM PST

Tivo announced a dual cablecard 1.0 tuner based HD TiVo at CES last January. I expect at CES 2006 they will reannounce it and maybe put an actual ship date on it.

I have the DirecTV one right now and it does work live a TiVo (because it is), but it works like one built on 4 year old technology (because it was). DirecTV has crippled the box by not allowing Tivo to upgrade it to the newest codebase (7.x), not allowing networking, not Home Media stuff, and no TivoToGo. I'm still weighing all my options, but I expect in 2006 I will either switch to a standalone cablecard based TiVo, build a MythTV box, or get the rumored Apple DVR.

Collapse -
Re: TiVo Announced "standalone" HDTiVo at CES 2005
by jhracing / December 15, 2005 2:34 AM PST

A cablecard multi-tuner HD TiVo would be great, but with the (literally) years of delay of this box, I'm not holding my breath. I'm not confident of the willingness/ability of my cable company to supply me with a card, either.

I feel like TiVo is putting all their R&D efforts into network features and content deals and neglecting any support for HD. Maybe smart based on current HD market penetration, but not exactly looking to the future.

Perhaps Steve Jobs IS the only one who can save me from my unbelievably crappy Scientific Atlanta DVR.

Collapse -
re re re
by dstanfor / December 16, 2005 6:54 AM PST

re: cablecard from your company:

My understanding was that it was an FCC mandate that the company supply them to you if you want one. They may want to charge you for rental though.

re : HD penetration :

I agree, except, the sort of people who are interested in TiVo seem like they'd overlap with the sort of people interested in HDTV. I've put off buying an HDTV because I don't want to have to decide between live HDTV and TiVo'd shows.

Collapse -
Um, beg to differ
by Wilf_Brim / December 17, 2005 11:15 AM PST

I have absolutely no quarrel with my SA 8300HD. While not perfect, it is a 80% (at least) solution. And given that it costs me all of $4.00 a month, I can't complain. Yes, some TiVo features are better but it has a very high initial investment, and it has a higher monthly fee.

Collapse -
Re: Um, beg to differ
by jhracing / December 19, 2005 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Um, beg to differ

I've heard the 8300 is a fairly big improvement over the 8000, I wonder if my cable company is offering it now instead.

Clearly cable box HD DVRs offer a lot of capability for a very low price. It just seems like laziness when new devices (the 8000) come out that perform far worse than previous ones (a previous message in this thread summarizes my complaints vs. TiVo) and it bugs me that stepping to a supposedly more advanced technology like HD requires me to step backwards in functionality.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.