Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Any Ecommerce Platform Ideas?

by scooterbooter123 / March 30, 2012 9:58 AM PDT

I want to take my business to the internet, but I'm unsure how to really go about researching the various ecommerce platforms.
Since I'm completely new at this, I want something that's easy to use and understand, but also something that doesn't lack in features and tools to help kick off my sales online.
From the little research that I've done so far, I've come across a few names like Magento, Zen Cart, osCommerce, and Lead Commerce. Does anyone have any input on these? Are there others out there I should be aware of?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any Ecommerce Platform Ideas?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any Ecommerce Platform Ideas?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
An alternative.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by scooterbooter123 / April 6, 2012 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: An alternative.

Thanks for the suggestion! Have you used it before?

Collapse -
To throw out
by Sovereign Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 12:27 AM PDT

another two examples, each one at the end of the spectrum, are FoxyCart and Shopify.

FoxyCart is merely a processing tool, which means you can have any kind of custom website do anything you want, as long as the data gets sent to FoxyCart in a way that it expects, you can have a fully functional e-commerce system with it. FoxyCart is not an out of the box solution, meaning that it will require custom development so you can properly interface with it.

Shopify, on the other hand, is an out of the box solution. It requires little to no experience in building websites. Everything is managed for you for a small fee. While there are open source solutions, if you don't have a good team to help manage this, it can get very overwhelming. By using a commercial product, you get the support you need. In the end, it's good to end up with something like FoxyCart or one of the systems you mentioned, but to get the ball rolling and test the waters, it might not be a bad idea to start with something like this.

Lastly, the most important thing to do is to figure out what you need in an e-commerce system. An easy way to get this started is by imagining you're the customer. What do you expect of the site? How do you expect the checkout to work? How will you navigate the products?

Once you figure all that out, now you have something to research. You go and test demos of all the products you mentioned and make notes of which is ones are closest to what you want and then go from there.

Collapse -
by scooterbooter123 / April 6, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: To throw out

Thanks for the suggestions and all the clarification!

I've never heard of FoxyCart, but it seems like it may need a bit more on the development side than I'm looking for. I am anything but a programmer. Haha! Maybe eventually if I get a few more people on my team, I could have custom developers. Is this program free?

But definitely something along the lines of Shopify! Something out of the box, ready for me to just input my products and get ready to sell, especially if I'm no where near ready to develop something custom. That's good to know that Shopify has good support, that's going to be really important for me especially if I'm just starting out.

The customer side is really important and I want it to be easy to understand from their point of view.

Have you had personal experience working with any of these platforms?

Collapse -
I have a developed
by Sovereign Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

an e-commerce system around FoxyCart. There is a monthly charge of $19/mo, but it's a flat rate and independent of how many things you sell and how much money you make.

I've never worked with Shopify myself, but know several developers who have setup their clients on it. I've only heard good things and I trust their judgement. If I were to launch a store and needed it up asap, I'd probably look at Shopify first, then compare other e-commerce solutions against it.

Collapse -
regarding ecommerce platform ideas
by ysmnbd / May 27, 2012 3:23 PM PDT

To start your business on net the best ecommerce platform would be Aspx Commerce. It is an open source software to build your site. It is exactly what you are looking for. It is easy to use, flexible, affordable, highly customizable. Its revised version Aspx Commerce 1.1 has just released couple of weeks ago. The reviews from the users are overwhelming and shows that they are satisfied from it and wants to explore more about it. It is enriched with the features such as single click installation, improved and faster store performance, perfect template for your e-commerce store. For detail information visit http://www.aspxcommerce.com/Discover/What-is-new.aspx. You can go through the guides and try demo to learn more.

Collapse -
Regarding ecommerce software
by chandan_aribam / November 29, 2012 3:20 PM PST

There are many different types of eCommerce software you can use for your online store like Sopify, Bigcommerce, Megento, etc. These are some popular platform but you can try EasyStoreHosting also.

EasyStoreHosting is also one of good Online E-Commerce Store creation software.

I have tried it, and it genuinely works.
The best thing is that provide "technical support service" free of cost.
So you have to do anything by yourself, just shoot a mail to them, they will do it for you.

Before taking any decision first you go and test demos of all the products then decide it...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.