E-readers forum

any ebook readers allow copy and paste

by emmausdan / October 21, 2011 2:02 PM PDT

do any of the ebook readers allow the user to copy and paste short passages, and/or do enhanced copy?
most of the ebooks I would use would be for information that I would later want to use and then cite the source in an article.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: any ebook readers allow copy and paste
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: any ebook readers allow copy and paste
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) The DRM could be an issue.
by KenHusveg / October 24, 2011 4:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
by emmausdan / October 24, 2011 6:09 AM PDT

dont have a clue as to what a DRM is? so I can't figure out if it is the issue or not.

Collapse -
DRM: Digital rights management
by KenHusveg / October 24, 2011 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: DRM

Digital rights management is a way of controlling where you read and what you can do with your ebooks.

Collapse -
But are these our ebooks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 4:05 AM PDT

Not to put too fine a point on this but most content is not "ours." That is, when I buy a book, I own that book but can't duplicate it in whole. But if it was "my book" in that I was the author and hadn't given away my rights, then I can do what I want.

Collapse -
who said anything about copying a whole ebook??
by emmausdan / October 26, 2011 2:31 PM PDT

I didnt mention anything about copying an entire ebook. I did say that like with a printed book, I am allowed to use quotes from that book as long as i cite the author, publisher, etc. With scanners today, I do not have to retype the sentence or paragraph. With the ebook readers I have used this is not possible. Even with the free ebooks, including those in the public domain whose copyrights have expired long ago, the ebook readers do not allow the user to copy a passage and paste it into another document. One of the bible programs I use, even allows enhanced copy, it copies the passage I select and then when it is pasted into a document, it includes the passage, cites the books, chapter and verse and which version of the bible I copied from and then also cites the bible program that it was copied from--when there is still a copyright on that particular version of the Bible, it cites the publisher of that version of the Bible.

Collapse -
No one did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 2:55 PM PDT

Usage rights are often enforced with DRM. Since it's just a passage, why not use the old fashioned way?

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / October 27, 2011 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: No one did.

Bob, if you are doing regular research, it's a massive time saver to be able to copy/paste/etc. A very welcome convenience. Few people I know have time to hand write everything unfortunately. It's also a powerful tool later on since it's inherently searchable by keyword.

Collapse -
Perils of DRM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yikes

There is no trouble at all on a lot of content. But there is no ereader I know that would assure us that all content was not protected. This is why we have to keep up our skills.

Since most papers only allow 1 to 3 sentences from the source this is not much time lost.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / October 28, 2011 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Perils of DRM

Not sure when you did your time in college, but that may have been the rule a hundred years ago, but no longer. You simply have to properly cite your sources using quotes and give proper credit to the original author. We aren't referring to anyone plagarizing here, merely grabbing text to save time instead of having to slow down. Some passages in certain disciplines are quite lengthy and need to be included as a whole for proper reference, greater than three sentences sometimes.

Collapse -
I have an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

And will share when I can. What was asked for is at odds with the industry.

The industry is in disarray as content is set free. We can go over that story if folk want.

Here's the crux of the problem. If you make a "reader" that purposely ignored the DRM of content by the suppliers then your reader would never make it into mass production as the devils in suits came after you.

This is not to say it's all possible but you seem to dismiss "how things work."

Collapse -
Problem is...
by Pepe7 / November 1, 2011 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I have an idea.

...from time to time you tend to 'share' some bizarre statements like the odd 'one to three sentences' "rule".

Collapse -
No problem here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem is...

That app still blocks copy of text if the author blocked the copy feature. This is why a PDF reader is not going to fulfill the original request.

This is why some want to use the open source formats but let's start with Microsoft Reader. That one should be removed from everyone's list. It's one of the heavies when it comes to DRM.

Collapse -
Use a Tablet PC for this
by Pepe7 / October 26, 2011 6:39 AM PDT

Think Android tablet or iPad to gain this sort of functionality w/o any off restrictions.

Collapse -
by KenHusveg / October 27, 2011 3:56 AM PDT

Try using Calibre.

Collapse -
Workaround with Kindle?
by Pepe7 / November 1, 2011 6:24 AM PDT

I saw the following:

Collapse -
My Workaround
by Jesstifer / February 25, 2012 12:11 PM PST

Create a Facebook account just for your notes. Set default privacy for that account to Only Me. Set Kindle Social options to share to that account.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.