Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Antivirus Software-Test Results

by trev-d / June 19, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

Does anyone know of an independent and recent comparison testing of the various antivirus applications available?
I'm looking to change mine and am confused by the conflicting reviews found by Googling.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus Software-Test Results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus Software-Test Results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AV-Comparatives, VirusBulletin
by Donna Buenaventura / June 19, 2010 5:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: tests
by gargamel360 / June 19, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

When you look at these tests you find, through those links or anywhere else, be aware many are limited.
Many of them test only one function of the AV, or not all functions working together, so the results are rarely accurate as an overall judgement of the product.
If you are AV shopping, do not pick the reported best.
Chose the best prog. for your needs and surfing habits.
And don't fall in love with your AV.
Which is best changes with the wind.

Collapse -
Thanks
by trev-d / June 20, 2010 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: tests

Appreciate the replies so far, interesting stuff.
Could you explain the bit about 'needs and surfing habits' and how it affects the choice of AV.

Collapse -
Re: Q
by gargamel360 / June 20, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

For example some AV's offer a P2P(peer to peer)shield. Of course, if you don't use P2P, this will be a complete waste of resources.
Some AV's allow a custom install, allowing you to pick which element you need, this helps for such situations.
Always factor in your system before hand. Many AV's are large and always busy, and can be a strain on your RAM or CPU that are not up-to-date, since they are running in the background.
Do you use web-based mail? If so, your mail is already likely scanned, so a mail shield is not needed.
This is only a couple examples of what I meant by "needs", you know your PC best, so only you can say what you need.

Lets be frank about surfing habits, this doesn't require an answer;)
Do you surf adult sites, especially free ones? Just like in real life, frequenting the dirty side of the Web, you can catch something nasty. Same for P2P, or any downloading from any anonymous source.
Do you visit mostly safe sites you know, or surf where the wind takes you? I could go on all day with this, just Google "safe surfing habits" or something similar for more detail.

So you have to, basically balance what your computer and connection speed can do, VS. what your surfing habits are. Lastly, don't treat whatever AV you chose as the final answer. Help your AV help you by;
1:Full backup-system image+regular, preferably on an external drive.
2:An external Firewall, like what comes with a router, if you are on broadband (always connected from startup)

You can take security WAY beyond this with many free or paid options, but this is a good bare minimum.

Collapse -
Great post
by trev-d / June 20, 2010 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Q

Thanks, very informative post and now understand your earlier points.
The original question re test results was also in relation to the comment you made re CPU and system resources...slowing the unit down is not something I'd welcome, which is why I'm tempted to try Microsoft Security Essentials, which some say has a small footprint.
In the past I've been paying for Bitdefender and latterly Avira premium, but get too many false positives from Avira and have lost confidence somewhat.

Collapse -
Your choice
by gargamel360 / June 21, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Great post

I have no experience with MSE, but it is highly regarded so far.
And yes, reportedly very light. Made by MS, for MS. This can only add to its effectiveness, I'd imagine. Also constantly checks virus signatures against a constantly updated database on its servers, so it is always updated to-the-minute while you are online, another edge. I would not trust it alone, however. At a minimum, run Windows Defender beside it. But I would recommend something a little better, like a paid subscription for Malwarebytes, at is a 1-time fee, lifetime license, and the features complement what MSE lacks very well.

Collapse -
AV Test results
by jrap330 / June 27, 2010 11:42 PM PDT

PC magazine just reviewed security suites in either May or June issue. This is their 2nd review in the past year. Also Consumer reports reviews suites. Norton 2010, G-Data and Bit Defender are tops and so is Kaspersky. I used Kaspersky and now switch to Norton ISS.....pretty fast for the "quick" scan.....full scan takes a very long time. So far I agreed with all the professionals....Norton 2010 ISS is great

Avira is rated high and so is AVAST (free versions) so I am surprise about false postives....but for me not a big deal. And yes everyone stated Microsoft has a small foot print (not a RAM hog)...free so try it.

Collapse -
I like Vipre
by royc / June 28, 2010 1:31 AM PDT

Yes that is how they spell it.

From www.sunbeltsoftware.com

It has a very reasonable cost and if you have more than 1 computer they have a home site license.

They update virus definitions about 4 times a day and offer free phone support from Florida, USA.

Their premium version includes a firewall and the price is right.

The only connection I have with Sunbelt software is that of a VERY satisfied user.

Roy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.