Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Antivirus Software/Inutit Software

by Jack_Murray_66 / February 3, 2013 2:57 AM PST

Ok I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite P855-S5312, primarily for business use, primarily for an accounting firm and I am going to try and run multiple versions of Quickbooks software(2010,2011,2012,2013) as most of the time we are dealing with live files, that need to remain in their current versions in order to be successfully restored to the clients computer.

So I guess I have two questions. 1. I still have not booted this thing up as I am really trying to be thorough and find out which anti-virus software best suits me. I have McAfee on my desktop and my old laptop, but I am also a Comcast subscriber and if I am not mistaken they offer Norton for free.
I figure now would be as good a time as ever to switch over to the most effective/efficient software out there.
I read the reviews of the AVGs and Avast users and they are such a mixed bag. I don't mind paying for peace of mind, I certainly don't think $70 annually is anything extraordinary to protect my assets.
If you were starting from scratch what would you install? Soup to nuts, AV, Spyware, Malware, I need everything, I have a blank slate, and Windows 8.
2. Anyone know anything about installing older versions of software onto windows 8?(like Quickbooks 2010 and earlier?)

Jack_Murray_66 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus Software/Inutit Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus Software/Inutit Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Jack_Murray_66

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 3, 2013 3:30 AM PST

There are so many opinions on what to and not to use for AV software the discussion(s) could go on ad infinitum. Firstly I would not likely recommend Mcafee and I have NEVER been crazy about using so called "FREE" or "INCLUDED"server software packages. The freebies that you can download may get you by to a degree but there can be issues, especially running wirelessly. If you use your laptop at large, for travel, etc. you want to get something that includes anti malware,anti Keylogger and generally anti fishing as well. These are NOT free you will have to pay for these features. It is sort of a game, you pay you play, you don't and sooner or later you will likely lose. I have used so many different AV softwares over the years it gives me a headache just thinking of some of the issues I have dealt with, especially experimentation with freebies. Norton 360 works quite well, there are others, Kaspersky is another that can include features previously mentioned and others exist as well....but..they are not free. Personally I prefer to bite the bullet and pay the stipend, some do not, their choice.My choice since the advent of Win 7 has been Kaspersky, I use it on 4 systems, 2 desktops and two laptops (Toshibas). I can attest to the efficacy of the Keylogger feature since I use my main L/T for travel and have had several attmepts at intrusion, Kaspy caught them every time. Some will disagree with what I use, it is a matter of choice and what seems to work best overall for the individual. Good luck!

Collapse -
Security - Which AV?
by CreateYourWealth / February 3, 2013 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Security

Hello pgc3

I for one agree with your pick of Kaspersky. It is a comprehensive product, AV and malware, that is on the cutting edge of fighting AV and malware. A lot of AV software does not cover malware, and the use of malware to launch keloggers or other information gatherers is on the rise. When you are searching for software to protect your computer and valuable assets, make sure the pick does both, AV and malware.

Another note about Kaspersky is they offer a real version for the Macs. I know a lot of Mac users believe they do not need AV/malware because Macs don't get viruses. The fact is that Macs do get viruses; however, cyber-criminals target the masses. Since Macs have not been in the masses, the cyber-criminals didn't find them worth their time. With the popularity of Macs fast on the rise, the attacks against them are on the rise as well.

Collapse -
Sadly, where is that MacOS X virus?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Security - Which AV?

I see folk install trojans on their Apples but for now, still no virus. I guess some folk don't want to differentiate a virus from a trojan but if I was to write such in a Spyware or such forum I'd want to be careful with my words.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 3, 2013 4:19 AM PST

Yes Bob I have heard the same thing oddly though, I have several friends who are Mac freaks and none have ever (that I am aware of) have complained about having issues...but you know how Mac freaks are, they may keep it to themselves since they consider a Mac to be sacrosanct **LOL**

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Apple

And there are no sacred cows in this forum so we can have a chicken bacon beef turkey taco without any trouble.

I do see trojans and malware for the land of Apple. But for some odd reason no virus.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 3, 2013 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Frapple?

Yes Mr. Proffit that is what I have heard.. APPLE LAND **lol***

Collapse -
Thank You
by Jack_Murray_66 / February 3, 2013 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Security

Ok I am on the site, and have Kaspersky ONE Universal Security is dead to rights. Before I pull the trigger, I am studying up a little. But I think you've swayed me. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 3, 2013 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

You are certainly welcome but as I said some will disagree...I just know what has worked for me, like I said I've been through a myriad of STUFF...some good and some reallllly not so good. I HATE having to reload systems because some offshore goofball decides to try to make things miserable for unsuspecting web users and as I see it, it ain't getting better!!!!

Collapse -
Lots of good choices today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 4:10 AM PST

I uninstalled AVG recently because it was doing the oddest things. They changed their interface so I changed it out for Avast. McAfee and Norton lost me years ago when they tried to use their AV as a sales platform. Sorry, no, I don't want to know about your airline deals or such.

Collapse -
So funny you mention that...
by Jack_Murray_66 / February 3, 2013 4:50 AM PST

I have been using McAfee since the old AOL days and I have never noticed the airline deals you speak of, but then again I am so unequivocally numbed to ads, that I don't see them, I only see them as like jellyfish in the water I kind of have to dodge, like on this site for example, I've noticed there are ads placed where one might assume them to be actual useful links, yet they take you on a journey into buy me now because you need me bad land.

Its just part of being online and I've grown quite adept at recognizing a link for what it is. But if that's the worst thing you can say about an AV product, I think I can handle that.

Collapse -
I Like Avast
by itsdigger / February 3, 2013 4:30 AM PST

for Windows and I use Clam for Linux Wink

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 3, 2013 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: I Like Avast

Oh shoot I forgot about Linux, yeah clam is one for sure..I am a sort of Linux freak...uhhh we aren't quite as radical as SOME from a place called APPLE LAND ......

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.