Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AntiVirus FreeWare - Are there really free programs?

by bsg / January 14, 2007 2:35 AM PST

Similar to Firefox' mode of sharing...are there real free antivirus software, not just free downloads, that end up cluttering downloads then telling you to "complete" protection with a subscription?

Clicked a link for Panda Software offering ActiveScan free, even an online scan for a "2nd opinion". After getting asked to run an active x-control [w/ unverified publisher note] for 2nd time...got spooked and went on to ask opinion from cnet forum.

Any opinions on avast or clamwin?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AntiVirus FreeWare - Are there really free programs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AntiVirus FreeWare - Are there really free programs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you search ths forum, you
by roddy32 / January 14, 2007 5:16 AM PST

will find a few hundred threads about this subject. As far as the 2 you ask about, avast does everything, Clam is fine for a backup scanner but has not real time protection. It also has a context to the right click that permits scanning of single files or folders.

Collapse -
Here Are a Couple More Free, Reliable & Reputable Ones:
by tobeach / January 14, 2007 1:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Need free anti spyware download plus free anti virus downlo
by Norman J. Lion / January 15, 2007 5:40 AM PST

What is recommended?

Collapse -
FOR XP Would Suggest You Get Both From AVG (AV & Anti-Spy)
by tobeach / January 15, 2007 2:10 PM PST

they play nicely together(no conflicts).
The AV7.5 is fully FREE & the AS 7.5 is a 30 day free trial. After trial period, IF you don't want to buy, you're still left with one of the best scanners/removers around with daily updates to it's 600,000+ recognized threats. Manual update is easy while already online & takes about 5 seconds.
After trial period ends, you loose "Automatic" updating & you loose the background guard feature. I chose not to buy but am happy with the remainder.

There are several ones recommendable, but none free that will surpass the AVG one.
I also run free Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 for setting protection
& also Adaware SE 1.6 personal (adware specialty):

Add in CCleaner for quick removal of temp files & more.See MY Post

All of above free & all work with each other without conflicts.
Install instructions & recommended settings are available through "advanced search" at top of each page. Enjoy!! Grin

Collapse -
Avg anti virus and spybot
by Norman J. Lion / January 27, 2007 3:07 AM PST

Got them they have discovered a significan tnumber of adware, spyware et. And Want ME To Pay Their COmpany to Remove them SO what is free? Is their really a good free program that will remove the spyware and adware or not so??????? Thank you. jlion222@earthlink.net Name is Norman Lion.

Collapse -
AVG and Spybot S&D are free and they
by roddy32 / January 27, 2007 3:17 AM PST

do NOT charge to remove things. If the programs that you downloaded are trying to charge you to remove things then you downloaded the incorrect programs.

Collapse -
I Agree w/ Roddy32. AVG Free AV is Totally Free(No Charges..
by tobeach / January 27, 2007 3:16 PM PST

of any kind ever) although AVG Anti-Spy may "suggest" you buy before end of trial period, it in no way affects its' functions regarding removal. Certainally DOES NOT charge for removal if it finds something!
Did you use my link to obtain them?? If not, please double click link to be sure you get to correct site. Your address bar at top should show:
Installed and updated as of this date, when opened, the bottom AVG AV bar should show: 7.5.432/268.17.12/654 Date: 1/27/2007.

I fear you may have a Browser Hijacker that is re-routing you to a crooked site. Perhaps you went through Google and went to Grisofts Main site which offers the paid versions (although there is a rather smaller link to the free version there).

In the above situations, you should completely un-install the rogue or paid versions you have, run cleaners and then install the real versions that you now will have downloaded and saved to your My Documents folder.

Please post back with any difficulties or success! Happy

Collapse -
Uninistalling my viruses and spy intruders

I am sure this computer since I started tyo use a month agho is full of virusees and spying programs. How can I get rid of them and then perhaps minstall an anti-spy program. Frankly I jhave very little faith in them. Been throuh this months ago. Thanks for you help. jlion222@earthlink.net

Collapse -
Hi, Norman! Please Start a NEW Thread
by tobeach / April 20, 2009 3:22 PM PDT

for this as some advice & this thread is old and may not be same now as then. Be sure to give info on what OS/Sp level/other programs installed for AV/AS/Firewall etc. Many current protectors no longer work on older OS's. Thanks! Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.