Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Antivirus, Firewall

by arreis_email / July 22, 2009 2:57 PM PDT

I just bought my very first mac, I just want to know if I still do need an anitvirus and firewall for it.

If I need one, what would you suggest?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus, Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus, Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AV and stuff,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Antivirus, Firewall

OS X has a built in firewall which guards against incoming stuff but does not check outgoing stuff.
For the outgoing, I would suggest a program called Little Snitch.

Bob Proffit can tell you more about the (Unix) OS X firewall.

As for Anti-Virus programs. There are currently no virus's that operate successfully against OS X. There are a number of trojans but with a little common sense they can easily be avoided.
If you want to "feel" save, try ClamXAV. A free AV application that does the job well.
Avoid any of the commercial AV brands, Symantec, Intego, etc. as they chew up clock cycles looking for non-existent threats.

My local Mac Users group does not have any member that is running AV software on their Macs.

P

Collapse -
Options...
by tkessler / July 23, 2009 2:20 AM PDT

I've successfully used Sophos antivirus on the Mac, with no adverse performance hits. It's a good suite, but is expensive. I'd recommend ClamXav, and for now unless you are dealing with Windows machines there is no need for extensive scanning.

Collapse -
Apple Firewall on by default
by mhollis55 / January 19, 2010 8:39 AM PST

Welcome to the World of Safety.

If you are running Apple's OS X, it will ask you for your user password before installing anything (and that includes anything from Apple, too) on your Macintosh. That's a pretty good way to ensure you are thinking before you are installing. But there has been one, released back in 2006: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102379

Apple has its firewall on by default, so if anyone is looking for a computer to exploit, they probably won't find yours. Try this port scan: https://www.securitymetrics.com/portscan.adp

If you are also running Windows using Boot Camp, Parallels or VMWare, your Windows installation will be vulnerable. You should definitely purchase aftermarket software to prevent trojans, viruses and to set up a decent firewall to prevent hackers from using your computer as their slave. There are currently millions of PCs running Windows that are not completely under the control of their owners. None are Macs running OS X alone.

As for antivirus software, whatever you do, don't buy anything sold by Symantec. I don't recommend their tools to my Windows friends, either. Their tools are not upgraded often enough and they miss some of the worst offenders. They also are a serious drain on your CPU and conflict with other applications you may intend to run.

For OS X, I can recommend ClamXav which costs nothing, though I did donate to the author: http://www.clamxav.com/

Then you can rest easy, assured that as long as you don't do anything silly, you run a superior operating system that defends itself well against malicious hackers.

Collapse -
Apple Firewall on by default,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2010 9:02 AM PST

I don't believe it is.

All the ports are closed though.

P

Collapse -
Then it is
by mhollis55 / January 21, 2010 8:26 AM PST

If the ports are all closed, that is a pretty good indication of a working firewall.

Collapse -
Think about that,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: Then it is

All the ports are closed by default when shipped and first booted.
Firewall is OFF at first boot and remains like that until the user changes it.

Unix has something else going for it when it comes to ports

P

Collapse -
New Mac users: Antivirus, Firewall
by Poppydi / February 10, 2010 6:55 PM PST
In reply to: Think about that,

U need Protemac NetMine. It includes a firewall and an antivirus both. Good solution.

Collapse -
(NT) but unnecessary
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 10, 2010 10:01 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.