Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

antivirus comparison tests

by itspeanutyay / October 1, 2013 9:58 PM PDT

so i got bored and ran a few tests, i partitioned my hard drive into 5 sectors 200gb each on each of the partitions i installed windows xp and on each partition i had a different antivirus
partition 1: avg 2013 free
partition 2: avg internet security 2013
partition 3: norton 360
partition 4: kaspersky
partition 5: windows security essentials
first i run crysis 2 on high settings and done some framerate benchmarks
avg free: 47fps
avg internet security: 39 fps
norton 360: 27fps
kaspersky: 42fps
windows security essentials: 41fps
i then disabled the antivuruses and installed 3 diferent viruses of my own creation and then enabled the antiviruses and scanned the computer
avg free: 3/3 found in 22 mins
avg full: 2/3 found in 27 mins
norton: none found in 1hr 9mins
kaspersky: 3/3 found 32 mins
security essentials: 1 found as soon as i enabled the antivirus the other 2 found during a scan in 43mins
then i tried rendering a 60second clip in 4k
avg free: 37mins
avg full: 38mins
norton: 49mins
kaspersky: 41mins
security essentials: 32 mins
so in short the free version of avg is somehow the best, better still than its big brother avg paid for internet security

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: antivirus comparison tests
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: antivirus comparison tests
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doesn't look like a valid test. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 10:19 PM PDT

Because the seek time from track 0 to those other partitions can and most likely can corrupt your testing. Try again but with a single partition and clone the drive from some backup so you keep it as close to the original layout.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by itspeanutyay / October 1, 2013 10:23 PM PDT

ok i will do, that may explain why the norton scan didnt do anything, i will post the results tomorrow or later tonight

Collapse -
(NT) in fact i will include results for mcaffe comodo and avast
by itspeanutyay / October 1, 2013 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: ok
Collapse -
PS. How some sites do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 11:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Agree
by pgc3 / October 2, 2013 10:45 PM PDT

I agree for a few reasons. You almost need dedicated, like systems to do accurate (sort of) tests, single partition/cloning might be some better but still imop, iffy. I like the link you sent in your last post, would seem to be the thing to try, even so, there are ALWAYS variables, software to software.

Collapse -
Thanks for the comeback.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree
Collapse -
Still should use multiple AVs
by SpaceJam741 / October 25, 2013 2:29 AM PDT

I understand that AVG free found them all, but you yourself pointed on security essentials found 1 quickly then found them all. No AV is perfect. AVG finding them all still took time. my office uses 8 AVs and they scan all incoming files then once a week scan all the servers with metascan. not free but works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.