Windows 8 forum

Question

Anti Virus for windows 8.1

by vishan123x / September 30, 2013 10:14 PM PDT

Which one is the best Anti Virus for windows 8.1?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti Virus for windows 8.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti Virus for windows 8.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nothing different from older versions of Windows.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 10:22 PM PDT

So if you like the one you're using now, just keep using it.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
You ask 25 people you will get
by orlbuckeye / October 4, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

5 or 6 differents answers. There won't be much difference between what people believe is the best for Windows 7 so it's best to google it and look at how the different media groups rate each product. I myself love Norton 360 and have been using for awhile. Back in the first Windows days I used Norton then had an issue and then went to Micro Trend and had a problem with them and went back to Norton and have been using for awhile now.

Collapse -
Answer
I like the one built in to Defender, MSE
by wpgwpg / October 4, 2013 1:40 AM PDT

In Windows 8 (and 8.1) the Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus is automatically included with Defender as a standard part of Windows. I haven't seen any problems with it on 6 Windows 8 PCs. I started with Windows 8 back in Feb 2012 in the pre-release days. Which one do YOU want to use?

Collapse -
Answer
You don't need To
by jreacher421 / October 25, 2013 4:57 PM PDT

if you are using windows 8.1 then you don't need to worry about any antivirus, windows defender is there for you. its an antivirus that will defend your system from viruses. you can find it in your control panel. it can prevent your system from viruses, you can trust on this antivirus.

Collapse -
Answer
I've been using Norton 360 on Vista but...
by kenzbeard1 / November 11, 2013 4:57 AM PST

It appears Norton 360 is not 100% compatible with Window 8.1 yet. I read there are some items yet that it can't protect. I am using Windows Defender that was included with the OS.

Collapse -
Odd idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2013 5:06 AM PST

Since protection begins with you are you saying that these suites must protect the OS and more against the user?

Collapse -
Answer
best anti virus
by julio-santana / January 19, 2014 5:29 PM PST

I strongly recommend Norton utilities or do research on google and use your judgment and buy the best one you think is sutiable

Collapse -
How about Symantec's thuggish behavior?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: best anti virus

When the product expires it blocks the internet "for your protection."

Collapse -
syntec
by julio-santana / January 20, 2014 3:12 AM PST

I never experienced that but im preaty shure that there is a way to disable that.

Collapse -
Answer
I use Malwarebytes
by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 / January 25, 2014 4:46 AM PST

I have had problems with Norton, Mcafee, Combofix, etc.

My house computer got a virus with Norton. Our work computer went down with McAfee.

I'm using Malwarebytes. It blocks bad web pages and as long as you use the paid version and keep it backed up, you should be okay.

I tried Webroot and it started attacking our system files and I doubt they check it against a 10 year old operating system like Windows XP. It worked for a week or two and then we got a Webroot critical error and I had to do system restore twice.

In the beginning there were virus checkers and anti-virus checkers was based on that system. Then came malware and anti-virus wasn't catching malware. You need a program that can do both and in order to have your definitions up to date, you need to routinely download the current updates or have a program that downloads them from the cloud.

I've sat there for 8 hours with Norton 360 scanning my computer for viruses and Malwarebytes found the malware within minutes.

Collapse -
I am going to try malwarebytes too
by nsaretards / January 28, 2014 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: I use Malwarebytes

And removing the trial Mcafee that came preinstalled on my Acer windows 8 .. I am getting reminders to buy Mcafee or it will no longer be available in a couple weeks. I am also getting reminders from msft to upgrade for free from windows 8 to windows 8.1 which was explained is better than 8 operating systems. As of now, mcafee is running and so the windows defender is not.. when the trial period gets within a few days, I will terminate the program and use what came free with the computer (windows defender) I could use malwarebytes with windows defender ,I read elsewhere it helps

Collapse -
Answer
Anti Virus for Windows 8.1
by kristanashly / January 28, 2014 8:13 PM PST

Windows 8 have inbuilt Windows Defender anti virus and I think it is great. If you want more security use a internet security from Norton or Kaspersky.

Collapse -
Answer
Kaspersky
by spock152 / February 1, 2014 1:15 AM PST

In my opinion is the best , a little expensive but well worth it . Or avg has a paid and free version , the free version works very well too !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.