Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Anti-virus cannot update itself (Vista Premium 64 bit)

by ozyman4269 / August 7, 2008 6:51 PM PDT

Ok guys here's one that has me completely boondoggled.

On my recent trip back to the states I got my wife a nice new compact Dell XPS 1330 laptop.

I didn't know it at the time but it's a 64 bit version of Win Vista home premium SP1. (This may or may not be the key to my problems, the 64 bit part)

It came preloaded with Norton internet security for a month so I went ahead and turned the crap-ware on and figured I'd use it until I did all the updates the machine needed and then switch it over to Avast.

Internet works fine, windows update works fine. Norton and windows defender cannot find their respective up date servers.

Time passes and last night I removed Norton, updated windows defender (can update now) and then through on Avast.

After reboot I can not get IE to load a web page, but Outlook works (can send/receive) and Avast cannot update itself / cannot find server.

Strange.... I try turning off the "Web Shield" module of AVG and now IE can load pages but still Avast cannot connect to update it self.
I go to the avast help/support/FAQs and add every thing that I can as an ecception to windows firewall but still can not connect to update server.

I then remove Avast and place AVG on the Machine.
Same problem: Can load web pages but cannot reach Anti-virus update server to update definitions/program.

I do the firewall safety dance again and still no dice.

I remove AVG and try Anti-Vir
Same problem again?????

I give up and go to bed

All Anti-virus's that I tried stated that they were Vista 64 bit compliment and I DL'ed them from their own home pages.

Anybody have any clue what's going on or how to correct it??? How do I get my Antivirs to update it self when the preloaded one couldn't do it??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti-virus cannot update itself (Vista Premium 64 bit)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti-virus cannot update itself (Vista Premium 64 bit)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well I have Windows-Vista 64 bit edition
by metmichallica / August 7, 2008 9:21 PM PDT

Just got the computer a couple weeks ago, it came preloaded with norton internet security (works fine). No problems at all and windows defender. No problems at all with any of them. Maybe it is something you downloaded and installed that is interfering being you didn't know it was a 64-bit.

Collapse -
Re: A/V cannot update itself
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

I don't know if this will help with your specific problems, but I couldn't help but notice something. It seems within a very short period of time, you uninstalled NIS trial version and then installed Avast, AVG and AntiVir.

Did you take the time to make sure every bit of these A/V's were gone, when you uninstalled all but one? To include searching for leftover files? (i.e. With NIS searching for anything "Norton" or "Symantec") I don't know which one you've decided to keep, but these removal tools should help, if you decide to go that route. As I said, I don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but it may be contributing to it. Just something to consider.

I would use Norton's Removal Tool first:

You might also try the (free) Revo Uninstaller, or CCleaner aftewards.

At Symantec's site, there's a page which might be worth looking at. . "Norton Support for Dell Customers. There may be something relevant to your situation. Confused

You mentioned in your post at the Vista Forum, that you also posted here. While I can completely understand your frustration and desire to get your wife's laptop "up and running", it would help to first post at one. If no one is able to help, post at the other. In addition to duplicating work, it also tends to get confusing with two threads going at once. It's not a big deal, but something I thought I'd mention for the future. Wink

Best of luck to you..

Collapse -
Thank you for all your help
by ozyman4269 / August 10, 2008 2:19 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.