TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Antenna to HDTV question... in Chicago

by Alex Ciba / October 8, 2006 3:54 AM PDT

For some reason I can't see CBS, channel two. I know it has a digital signal but my HD antenna won't pick it up. Is there are reason for this? I see the non digital channel but it's all fuzzy. I have a Sony KDS50A2000...

Any help would be great, trying to watch the Bears game!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antenna to HDTV question... in Chicago
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antenna to HDTV question... in Chicago
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alex try this
by stewart norrie / October 8, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

First you must do a anolog scan on your t.v. then do a digital scan Then I would set channel 2 on your t.v and tweek your antenns until it locks on. I live in san jose ca and all the local channels are broadcast from one spot sutro towers in san francisco so I had no problems with antenna direction but if your t.v. stations come from different directions then you may want to install an antenna rotor But why dont you go with the dish network and really show off your hi-def t.v. ITS A MUST hi-def heaven order basic+ the hi=def package and voom you then will have all you local network station in hi-def free Discovery hi-def theater alone is worth the monthly charge dont be so cheap ha ha steweeeeee

Collapse -
ALEX WHY BUY A HI-DEF SET UNLESS YOU CAN ENJOY IT ?
by stewart norrie / October 8, 2006 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Alex try this

The heart of my home theater system is my hi-def dish system without it I would never have bought a hi-def t.v. and all the other goodies you will never injoy your t.v with just an outside antenna, also the hi-def package you get with a dish system is awsome programming you would probable use your local stations just for the news also the hi-def sat system will feed your 5.1. audio system. dont be so cheap you spent much money for your t.v. so why not feed it ha ha steweee

Collapse -
haha, trying to watch the bears game?
by masterying01 / October 8, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

buffalo is getting destroyed as of half time right now. but i agree, channel 2 is a pain for chicago area if you're using an antenna. i have never been able to get channel 2 at our store in skokie(which sucks when there is ncaa on). at my house in park ridge, i rarely get channel 2 either. good thing i have cable.

unfortunately, the most i can suggest for you is to try a more powerful antenna. sorry.

Collapse -
many factors
by inni121 / October 8, 2006 4:07 PM PDT

need more info
u say HD antenna ? what type of antenna is it exactly ?
where do u live in chicago ? ( not ur address, im not coming to fix anything ;-)) but in accordance to tall buildings and lakes and mountains

Collapse -
Decent Antenna...
by Alex Ciba / October 9, 2006 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: many factors

I bought it from Radioshack cause my friend works there and I can get his discount, it was like 49.99 regularly. It's an indoor, but I have it outside. All other stations I get without a hitch but it's just CBS sucks... I think "masterying319" was right, CBS has never come in great for us. In fact, if there is a storm abrewing, you can turn to CBS and judge how bad it is going to be by how bad the signal is... No idea why, something with low frequency signal or something...

Collapse -
VHF stations are the problem
by beezy38 / October 9, 2006 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Decent Antenna...

What you need is a good outdoor VHF/UHF antenna. Channel 2.1 is at the extreme of the VHF spectrum and is known to be a weak signal. I live in Lakeview, about 5 miles from the transmission towers and get a good picture. However, a good rain will block the 2,1 HD signal (5,7,9 and 11 are fine) when I have to switch over to the analog (Channel 2) signal. As I understand it, in 2009 all current broadcast signals will have to move to UHF and life will be better.

Collapse -
For some strange reason CBS HD channel is on VHF channel 3!
by jcrobso / October 10, 2006 2:29 AM PDT

I don't know why they did that ALL of the other stations in Chicago are on the UHF band!
You need the big VHF antenna to pick up that HD channel! What a pain, I don't know any CBS (ABC & NBC yes) people so I can't ask them. In 2009 they will have to more over to the UHF band, but for now it's VHF channel 3 for CBS. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.