Phones forum

Resolved Question

Another unlocked phone thread

by apostasy / June 17, 2013 2:28 PM PDT

I have a question that's similar to the recent unlocked phone thread, except I'm wondering specifically about whether I can move my sim card from an HTC One to BlackBerry z10. My company offers a limited number of handsets and I have the HTC One right now through them (granted, a pretty cool phone) but I really like the z10, so I'd like to be able to drop my HTC One's SIM card into the z10 and at least try one out for a few weeks (probably buy one on eBay). Our carrier is AT&T.

apostasy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another unlocked phone thread
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another unlocked phone thread
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by apostasy

Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / June 18, 2013 12:13 AM PDT

Your ATT SIM card can move over as needed, immediately.

Hardware wise, I agree- the Z10 is pretty cool ;). I tested one out a few weeks ago in an ATT store. Good quality rig. In the long term though (read, over a two year contract when you get time to play with your device thoroughly), you might want to put yourself in a better position app-wise. Android is the horse to beat vs BB OS. And the HTC One is impressive. Both BB & Microsoft are behind the curve- arguably, too far behind when you look at what you get inside the iOS & Android ecosystem.

hth

Collapse -
thanks
by apostasy / June 18, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I'm thinking I'll buy a used z10 outright from eBay so I won't have to worry about a 2-year contract.

Yea I agree the app world is a concern so I guess I'll be grateful I can fall back on my HTC One if that starts to bother me (but also had fun finding android apps I could sideload, although I was having to occassional reboot to keep them working). I agree too that the z10 is nice, even more than the hardware (a very faster browser) it was the design details that I really like--the way you move between screens, the way the bb apps work, the fonts and keyboard. A really nice phone. I just hope they can sell enough to keep blackberry making phones.

Collapse -
Be careful buying via ebay
by Pepe7 / June 18, 2013 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Plenty of scams out there just to save $50. It might make sense since you can buy a subsidized one now with one year warranty. If you already know you won't be leaving ATT, why not take advantage of this fact? Very few folks IMO really need unlocked phones. At the end of the two years you can unlock and sell if needed to subsidize the next device. Food for thought anyway.

Collapse -
Gotta agree......
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 5:46 AM PDT

Don't forget that Craigslist can be risky as well.

Collapse -
by apostasy / June 18, 2013 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Gotta agree......

Thanks for the tips, although I'm not looking for an unlocked phone. Just sticking to an AT&T phone.

Collapse -
Look at your original subject line ;)
by Pepe7 / June 18, 2013 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: ...
Wink
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.