Samsung forum

Rant

Another SmartTv that has poor Netflix performance

by pfreep57 / January 27, 2013 3:03 AM PST

Another thread titled "Netflix refuses to load things on Samsung Smart Tv" very accurately captured my experience with Netflix on my Samsung. Details:
Device: UN55ES7500
SW: T-ECPAKUC-1041.1, BT-I/G
Network Connection is wireless to DSL router running 802.11g, with WPA2 security.

Netflix SW Ver. 3.105
Browser SW Ver. 1.233

I frequently receive the error dialog "We are having trouble playing this title right now." It also typically takes 1/2 to 1 minute to connect to Netflix. In addition, when I run a network speed test (www.speedtest.net) from the browser, I achieve barely 1Mbps download. (Wireless bandwith is 54Mbps and DSL is 20Mbps). My low-end laptop achieves 13Mbps on speedtest.net when co-located with the TV. I also have problems with Blockbuster having to buffer when playing HD movies.

I have installed a 9dB gain antenna on the wireless router and it is oriented toward the TV. When I check the network status on the TV it reports connection to the internet and 4 "bars" signal strength. I can co-locate my laptop with the TV, and stream Netflix without any problems. The laptop reports 5 bars, and "Excellent" signal strength.

I have none of these problems using my laptop. It immediately (< 10sec) connects to Netflix and never even buffers when streaming. When the SmartTv refuses to play a show on Netflix, I can immediately access it from my laptop and it plays fine.

I previously had a UN55D7000 that lost all network capability a few months after purchase. It was replaced with this UN55ES7500, after nearly two months of dealing with Samsung Tech support and two home visits with motherboard replacement by the local support contractor.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another SmartTv that has poor Netflix performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another SmartTv that has poor Netflix performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 3:20 AM PST

But I didn't read what channel the router is on as well as if the ethernet cable test was done. And again, when we setup these WiFi connections we have the WiFi router at under 20 feet away.

There are a lot of reasons for the low speed score and .. again .. this is not a laptop. It's a device and we've covered many of the device oddities over the years in the CNET Networking Forum. I'd like to see if any of our findings can help but some folk think this is a Samsung only issue. Sadly it's not.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by pfreep57 / January 27, 2013 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Good clues.

The additional information you requested: This is an ActionTec PK5000 DSL modem with 802.11b/g capability. It was set to automatically find the best channel, which typically was channel 11. I downloaded inSSIDer, and find that the modem is probably correct, but have hard-coded the channel to 1 as an experiment.

In the process of doing this, I noticed that WMM was enabled, apparently by default. I have disabled it, also as an experiment.

With inSSIDer, I find that my router is typically 30+dB stronger than any other signals in the vicinity.

I went to the Internet Services > Wireless Internet forum. I find that there are several reports of problems with Netflix and various Samsung TV's. Given the large number of posts on that forum, there were too many to manually sort through and the search is somewhat limited. Can you provide a couple links to threads that are examples of what you were discussing?

As to the issue with antenna differences between a laptop and a TV, I am somewhat at a loss. Given the relative sizes of a laptop and a 55" TV, and given that larger antennas typically perform better than smaller ones, the possibility that Samsung has not provided a good antenna for this TV only further suggests that I might not want to purchase a Samsung in the future.

Collapse -
Changes made did not help with the Netflix problem
by pfreep57 / January 27, 2013 12:50 PM PST

Changing to channel 1 and disabling WMM did not apparently help. inSSIDer still reports the router achieving ~-50dBm to -60dBm in the vicinity of the TV, and generally 20dB above other networks.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 1:19 PM PST

It appears that you might be upset if I try to help here. All the HDTVs and BD players I encounter rarely match the WiFi reception performance of a laptop. It's why I have to wire it up to see if there are other issues and then if that works I move to WiFi but at 20 feet.

Sorry but if you expect laptop range performance you need to get out now before you lose any more time. I'm unsure why no one has told you this.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Most of the changes I try are in the other forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Under the Samsung Owners Start Here thread. There are too many checks for me to list here so I started with the basics.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not upset at all
by pfreep57 / January 28, 2013 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I am curious, though. After all, TV & BD makers have access to the same 802.11 MAC's and antenna designs that the laptops do. As I noted, flat-screen TVs have the potential to introduce even better antennas than laptops.

I guess you may be telling me that the manufacturers either have wafer-thin profit margins or <snark> are so greedy and so contemptuous of the consumer, that an additional $5-$10 in hardware isn't worth it to them. </snark>

Since the configuration of my house makes it hard to move the TV any closer to the router, and I am already running a 9dB gain (2.4GHz) antenna, would changing to a dual band modem and a 5GHz wireless router to eliminate potential interference be advisable?

Collapse -
I think you know this area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not upset at all

Since the devices do work under the shorter range and well, think about the designer's homes. I've been overseas and the homes are smaller, some are just one room so to start with 20 feet of coverage is not hard to imagine.

Dual channel is great and all but you are talking about mass production where they'll drop a headphone jack to make the numbers work.

I have a lot of tips over in the CNET Network forum if you want to try them.
Bob

Collapse -
ROTF-LMAO --- TIME! ---
by pfreep57 / January 28, 2013 1:04 PM PST

Thank you for the link to the "Samsung owners start here..."

I read through it and got completely halted by the "What TIME is it?" post. I thought, "Naaah, it couldn't be that simple, could it?" I went and checked the time on the TV and it was 26 hours behind. I updated it and have watched the whole evening without losing the program once, or having it buffer.

So, OK, I haven't looked at the signal strength or any other parameter, and it might go out tomorrow, but from now on, whenever someone joins the words Samsung and Netflix in a question, you might first want to ask, "Is the time on your set correct?"

Oh, and by the way, I am doing all the "bad" things y'all say not to do. I have a non-broadcasting SSID, with a long ID length, a similarly long password, and full WPA2 encryption.

Collapse -
I wish that was always the case/cause.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:27 PM PST

I'm glad the collection of tips paid off. It's helped many and the thing that irks me is that some of them are possible to fix at the maker for little/no cost.

Example? That alphanumeric issue you read there. We're not sure what models it applies to and the makers are pretty silent about it.

Good to see you applying yourself. Thanks for checking the sticky post.
Bob

Collapse -
And actually I don't know the area
by pfreep57 / January 28, 2013 1:09 PM PST

I don't deal in consumer goods, but I grok the thing about dropping headphone jacks. My business area has a completely different model, where we would give the customer nearly every conceivable jack that has ever been invented just as a precaution, and they would want to pay for them.

Thanks again. I'm still laughing..... Laugh

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:28 PM PST

One of the designs I was on years ago ended up at Walmart. It was not my first commercial design but it was still a learning experience.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.