Computer Help forum

General discussion

Another person's wireless router is causing laptop crash

by Clbee / April 5, 2009 10:27 PM PDT

I have a Dell laptop- about five years old. No problems except recently I get the blue screen of death everytime I start it up at home. It works fine everywhere else. There is nothing new about my computer or wireless router. I live in an apartment building and I have been told that it is probably someone else'e wireless router that is interferring with my laptop.

I have heard there is a patch I can install, does anyone know of this probalem and the solution? Thank you for any advice.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another person's wireless router is causing laptop crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another person's wireless router is causing laptop crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Running Windows XP
by Clbee / April 5, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

Maybe I should mention I'm using Windows XP.

Collapse -
What happens if you turn off your own wireless router?
by Kees Bakker / April 6, 2009 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Running Windows XP

No interference then.

Then take your router somewhere else (where there is no other wireless signal) and try there.

Then have ook in the Event Log to see if there's any useful entry.

Kees

Collapse -
Verify and check for updates
by Willy / April 6, 2009 12:00 AM PDT

Check your wireless router has any updates/upgrades that can be done. Do this besides the system side of things. Also, if you worked using only "default" setting that you change them to be more unique all across your network. Excusing any wireless issues, be sure that some cheaper routers aren't comprised because they are simply cheap or really don't deliver what they promised, like multi-ch./range operation. Last, multi-router operation can be troubling as too much is going on and since these are more one-user driven they use whatever works and that may bump into another users area and only the stronger of two will survive. As various equipment and levels are at play here and no one communicates to each directly(personally), they optimally clash. One solution for one situation may work but then hits another problem as the spectrum of issues arises.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Same problem with both new Lynksys & D-Link Wireless routers
by bilphihan / July 15, 2009 6:23 AM PDT

Bought a new Lynksys WRT160N wireless router, setup with couple wired PCs. All went well until I started my wireless on Compay Evo N1000 with internal wireless adapter. This PC had been running wirelessly for years with an old D-Link DI-624 wireless router (which I had to replace due to a failed power adapter). Booted up, then it crashed with Blue Screen Of Death and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error message. Checked for drivers, etc. All current. Found that it would boot OK if the wireless on the router was disabled. Crashed when wireless enabled. Spent 2 hrs with Lynksys tech support who concluded router was incompatible with PC. BestBuy gave me my money back, and I bought a new D-Link DIR-615 router. Same thing. Tech support suggested disabling "n" and running only with 802.11b and g copatibility. Still caused PC to crash. They suggested disabling "g" and running with only "b". Same problem. Since the D-Link power adapter is the same one that was on the old router, powered up old router with new power adapter. Wireless works fine this way. So: 2 Brand new 802.11n routers from 2 different companies when runninhg wireless cause the laptop to crash in exactly the same way. Other post identifies this as an "IRQ Storm" and says the problem is inherent in the design of the PC, and there is nothing can be done. I hope noone within range of my laptop PC ever runs one of these routers. My PC will crash. I found many others reporting similar problems when they go into a certain zone with their PC. I have no idea what to do. Running Win-XP Pro with SP3 and all drivers (especially Compaq Wireless adapter WLAN MultiPort W200 ) are most currrent release. I'm off to get my money back on the D-Link router.

I found another post from someone who bought a new wireless adapter for his HP laptop's PCMCIA slot. He disabled the internal card. PC still crashed with same message when in the presence of a new wireless router. I think this is happening more often than one might expect...

Collapse -
Having fixed this one far too many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2009 6:33 AM PDT

Here's my recipe. I will not enter into any debate or admit any more cooks to the kitchen.

1. Install latest mother board driver packages.
2. Follow Grif's advice at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=328220#2968150
2a. Repeat item 1 if 2 found pests.
3. If any of the known bad wifi internal cards I've encountered, remove said card and use a pc-card instead.
4. Use WPA security on our own networks.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.