Speakeasy

General discussion

Another music legend gone

by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2014 5:38 PM PST
Pete Seeger has died

He gave us many wonderful tunes and helped keep many other wonderful tunes alive. He was a controversial person during times of controversy but always respectful of others in how he treated them and handled himself. He also spoke with his actions as well as his words. He'll be missed.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another music legend gone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another music legend gone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I never realised
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2014 6:02 PM PST

quite how old he was.

I have just played 'Turn turn turn' by The Byrds. One of my many favorites from that era.

I would say the news is sad, but at 94 he has had a good innings I reckon.

Mark

Collapse -
His contribution to music is much larger most
by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2014 6:17 PM PST
In reply to: I never realised

will know. He's also done a lot of children's songs and just plain fun songs. I only saw him once in concert. He was nothing like today's "entertainers" but just a warm and sincere person trying to share what he was given. I liked how he explained where songs came from and the stories behind them. It's those things that make the music come alive. Pete is a "oner"...a unique person and a copy of no other.

Collapse -
In the NPR interview with a younger folkie,
by drpruner / January 28, 2014 5:13 AM PST

he said Pete taught him to connect with the audience- 'Give them something!' Said he saw it work for Pete alone or with a group; in a pub or a concert hall. He certainly didn't get by on professional voice quality. Happy Of course, neither does Dylan.

Collapse -
Yeah, I like that song, too.
by drpruner / January 28, 2014 5:14 AM PST

Great lyric; wonder who wrote it?
Happy

Collapse -
You're funny, Doug. Our friend Anon who wrote so much of
by Ziks511 / January 28, 2014 8:43 AM PST

the Old Testament. (it is Old Testament, isn't it?)

I particularly liked Oh what will you give me/ say the sad bells of Rhymney. Which is an adaptation of a section (XV) of Idris Davies longish poem Gwalia Deserta, as Dafydd Gwrach could tell you. Many of the place names come from the Merthyr Valley which was a place of remarkable early industrialization. including the first railway, all 9 miles of it, and Richard Trevithick's first locomotive. I'm not 100% certain, but I think his first locomotive was called Puffing Billy, and there was a kids song about it which I learned from my Mum.

Down by the station, Early in the Morning
See the little Puffer Bellies all in a row
See the Station Master turn the little handle
Chug chug toot toot off we go.

For some reason I insisted at age 3 that the Station Master turn the little handle OUT. I don't know why.

Rob

Collapse -
Very little in the Bible can be attributed
by drpruner / January 28, 2014 10:52 AM PST

to Anon.
Ecclesiastes 1:1. "The words of the congregator, the son of David, the king in Jerusalem."
The one who fits that description in the simplest, literal way was Solomon. In the event,
"The spirit of Jehovah spoke through me; His word was on my tongue", said David, on his deathbed.
"For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit", said Peter, to the congregations everywhere.
"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." That's Paul, speaking on the "last days". In the case of Ec 3, there are reminders of the passage of time and the things which should properly occupy us. Cf. Ec 12:13,14.

So there's One who directs the writing, the one of whom Jesus said, "your word is truth."
An understandable oversight, since most of the churches you know of worship 'the God that dare not speak his name.' Happy

Collapse -
I liked that version too
by itsdigger / January 28, 2014 8:55 AM PST
Collapse -
sorry Steve
by James Denison / January 27, 2014 11:44 PM PST

I didn't notice yours when I posed mine.

He was quite a character, but a peaceful activist, not a weatherman type, more like an old style unionist in his views, a man out of time sort of.

Collapse -
(NT) Had two careers destroyed by the Foaming Right.
by drpruner / January 28, 2014 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: sorry Steve
Collapse -
who were searching for
by James Denison / January 28, 2014 6:22 PM PST

members of the Seditious Left.

Collapse -
'50s left is today's right??
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2014 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: who were searching for

In any event, those were different times and I don't think we really knew that much about Russia or the USSR. If you're old enough, you may remember children's cartoons such as Felix the Cat from even earlier. This is what we thought of them, I suppose. Since I've been alive, it wasn't until the fall of communism there that allowed performers from the US and former Soviet republics to travel and display their cultures and talents that we each got to see real people from the respective countries. It was a jaw dropping experience to see the difference from what I was introduced to on Saturday morning TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.