Speakeasy

General discussion

Another Major Hit To The Economy

by James Denison / December 4, 2012 1:03 AM PST

Might be some late Christmas presents this year. Longshoremen Union members on strike at the two largest ports in the USA, no shipments processed for past 5 days.
==================

Strikes in the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach that began last Tuesday are delivering a blow to the U.S. economy.
Clerical workers from the International Longshore and Warehouse Union
(ILWU) Local 63 have been without a contract for 2.5 years, and
negotiations between them and the ports broke down last Monday.
The ILWU has accused management of trying to outsource clerical jobs
to overseas workers that are paid far less and receive fewer benefits.
Reuters reports
that 10,000 dock workers that are members of the ILWU Local 63 are
refusing to cross picket lines set up by 500 striking clerical workers,
essentially shutting down 10 of 14 container terminals between the two
ports.
Gluskin Sheff's David Rosenberg
writes, "If you think Hurricane Sandy and the fiscal cliff are
problematic for the economic backdrop, how about the strike (now in its
fifth day) that has shut down the nation's busiest ports—LA and Long
Beach?"
And with good reason. The impact of the strikes is estimated to be about $1 billion a day, and Matthew Shay, CEO of the National Retail Federation (NRF) has asked the White House to intervene in the contract negotiations:

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another Major Hit To The Economy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another Major Hit To The Economy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It isn't only the ports that they have
by TONI H / December 4, 2012 2:15 AM PST

been striking.......one of the airlines as well........and protesting/attempting to unionize Wal-Mart and McDonald's which is disrupting the retail businesses of not only those two companies but ones that are nearby because buyers can't negotiate the minefield of protestors to get to the stores. It wasn't enough they forced the closing of a major company (Hostess). They may feel that they have a good friend in BO, but without those union dues coming in because of the massive layoffs that have been taking place in addition to companies outright shutting their doors, they have to make up the revenue from somewhere. The same thinking that BO has when it comes to this fiscal cliff.......BO knows that taking from the rich isn't going to be enough revenue....he just wants to break the Republicans at all costs and pushing that stupid issue instead of compromising on the same revenue from tax reform via deductions being cut from the SAME group isn't what he wants. His entire agenda right now is "I want what I want when I want it", but he hasn't got the balls to sit down at the table himself personally in order to try to get it....instead he sends in the clowns.

Collapse -
If manufacturing had stayed in the USA, this wouldn't be...
by grimgraphix / December 4, 2012 2:23 AM PST

... as much of a concern, now would it?

As for Toni and Walmart? I remember when their TV commercials said they only sold stuff made in the US. Oh... and disrupting Walmart through unionizing? Give me a break. Walmart opens on Thanksgiving day now and would be open on Christmas day too, if they could get away with it. I got a solution for Walmart... treat their employees like human beings with families and other interests outside of work. That would take a lot of the wind out of the Union's sails.

Collapse -
I guess an $8+ per hour job
by TONI H / December 4, 2012 3:52 AM PST

isn't good enough for you.....but to many, it's better than having no job at all. You seem to forget that the company belongs to private people and not the government and that the company gets to set the rules....rules that some people who don't agree with can always quit and move on to 'greener' pastures.....maybe they can get one of those Solyndra green jobs.....oh, wait.....those jobs only last about a year or less and then they're back out looking again because THOSE owners screw their people even worse than Wal-Mart ever has.

Collapse -
That's the one I a posted about
by Steven Haninger / December 4, 2012 3:04 AM PST
here

Look at what these folks get in the way of pay and benefits. It was reported on TV that they also have a "no layoff" clause in their contract. I can't figure out what's to gripe about.
Collapse -
Sorry
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 3:25 AM PST

I'd glanced at that thread and saw "clerical workers" and didn't associate it with the ports being shut down. Probably should have read a few more posts in it, I see that was mentioned later in it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.