Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another digital divide. You can't get that from that.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 7:23 AM PST

In another discussion about content that does not show on some devices we were scratching our heads.

At first we chalked it up to something about Flash but then someone supplied this link.

-> http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453875

"n our previous distribution model, the choices for viewing videos were limited to either allowing videos to be viewed only on the desktop version of the YouTube website, or making them available on the desktop, mobile phones and TV. Our new model allows you to select the option to make your videos available on all platforms or monetized platforms only. "

It's like blocking internet use in stores. I'm sure you've been asked to put away your camera in the stores before. With mobile phones and more, what's up with this Youtube restriction?
Bob

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another digital divide. You can't get that from that.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another digital divide. You can't get that from that.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gotcha'
by Willy / December 3, 2012 8:45 PM PST

To be honest, I had to look up, "monetized" as I didn't immediately know it. I read what it is and it all becomes clear, why anyone would have YouTube problems, if so reported. It's no longer free stream, but one where money can be made or somehow becomes commercialized to boot, thus some money or revenue.

http://support.google.com/adxbuyer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1342206

-----Willy :()

Collapse -
Open access now moving to selective access. For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Gotcha'

Another person at the office was looking at Windows 8 RT but it's "White List" is not editable it seems by us. It appears Microsoft is now taking control of what you can see or where you can go with that device.

They certainly locked out the free market you have elsewhere.
Bob

Collapse -
what do you think about
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 2:13 AM PST

the .NET stuff from Microsoft? Helpful? Intrusive? Both, but one more than the other?

Collapse -
I'd like to discuss .net on its own.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 5:40 AM PST

But a few of my apps are .net apps. Those apps are the best so far in our line up when it comes to reliability and lack of support calls. There's a lot of good stuff in .net such as writing one app that runs on a Windows Mobile cell phone as well as you average PC.

But in my opinion, a really nice piece of software high tech.
Bob

Collapse -
Well, it's like this
by Willy / December 4, 2012 3:58 AM PST

I found out in a roundabout way about issuance of driver's licenses in NJ or Ark. that they require "non-smiling" pictures of you. All because they want to use that for "face recognition s/w" in order to track, WHAT! So, it goes to show you nothing is as it seems.

http://www.policeone.com/police-technology/articles/5990244-N-J-driver-license-face-recognition-technology-prohibits-smiles/

I mean all this s/w and/or data is getting to be in your "face". haha, not! Anyways, are we that far off from 1984 scenario? It's already been used in court to show autos having been at some tool booth(time stamp,etc.), bank cameras or city public nuisance, etc. cams, and now SuperBowl stadium cams using face recognition in order to capture wanted felons, etc.. Oh man, they get in for so-called public safety and then its off to some other use.,nothings stays untouched for long.

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.