Peripherals forum

Question

Another brand of inkjet printer to buy besides HP

by Big Steve / October 15, 2012 6:53 AM PDT
I've owned HP inkjet printers for years; have had great service from some of their older models. I just disconnected my well maintained 14 year old Deskjet 895Cse inkjet printer and reconnected a 5 year old Photosmart C5280 inkjet printer.

I like the ability to scan documents and photos and print photos from a memory card on my C5280 but when it comes to printing on basic sized envelopes my 895Cse wins hands down. I attempted to print on a No. 12 envelope using my C5280; the entire address would not print out; I tried a standard No. 10 business envelope; same thing; at this point I'm considering buying another brand of printer. Any recommendations? Are Canon inkjet printers any good? Do they use a lot of ink?
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another brand of inkjet printer to buy besides HP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another brand of inkjet printer to buy besides HP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
While I asked a similar question to the moderator forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 6:59 AM PDT

A couple nods to the monster Canon mx870 (look at the pounds!) I think folk that do envelopes are going to be picky. This unit has 2 years on it and it uses ink just like all printers do. I can't say it's any worse or better.

It does work well over WiFi and scans to memory cards and sticks. I never tried the network scan feature.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Reply to R. Proffitt's post.
by Big Steve / October 15, 2012 9:08 AM PDT

I was looking at a Canon Pixma MG6220 all in one inkjet printer; read the CNET review on it; the only con I noticed in CNET's review was the plastic the printer was made from was flimsy and might easily break. I did notice the printer required 6 inkjet cartridges; my HP C5280 only requires 2; I haven't checked to see what it would cost to replace all 6 cartridges if I had to do so. Besides CNET Reviews where else could I go to read ratings and user reviews on inkjet printers?

Collapse -
As I said.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 9:14 AM PDT

I took the moderator's advice and it worked out well. However it is not a lightweight or flimsy printer and could, possibly double as a bolder in a trebuchet attack.

I can't guess why you are adverse to having each color in it's own cartridge as this means I get to use all of the yellow before I need to replace yellow. A 2 cart color printer would mean I am tossing out some ink.

As to the 6220, that seems more of a 2 year affair or fling. Or rather, 2 years and fling it to the recycle bin. Maybe it's cheap?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Reply to R. Proffit's post.
by Big Steve / October 15, 2012 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: As I said.
Is this the Canon MX870 printer you were talking about? I found a review of it on CNET Reviews; the link to the review is listed below. It seems like a nice printer that was made a few years ago. I have nothing against multi-colored cartridged units; it's just that I've never owned one. Judging from your comments on the Canon Pixma MG6220 it sounds like I should not consider it so I won't. Another good website I can go to and read reviews on inkjet printers besides this one?
<div>http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-devices/canon-pixma-mx870/4505-3181_7-33948680.html

</div>
Collapse -
Printers
by pgc3 / October 18, 2012 12:26 AM PDT

There are so many opinions on printers it is tough to make a choice but I do NOT always agree with some of the "REVIEWS" . Bob Proffitt's choice of the Canon MX870, is a good one, for him, according to his use. I have used several different manufacturers printers over the years and have generally highsided with HP as far as inkjets go. However, for the past couple of years I think the higher end Canon units, especially the all in ones, might be a notch over. I am considering replacing an older HP injet C5550 (oldie but goodie) with one of the new series Canon all in ones, not sure which one but that is what I am leaning toward.

Collapse -
Re: Reply to pgc3's post
by Big Steve / October 18, 2012 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Printers
Can you print on various sized envelopes with your HP C5550? My Photosmart C5280 All-In-One was acting like it was on crack yesterday. I put a standard No. 10 envelope in it to print; I have about 20 different templates stores in My Documents but yesterday it printed only half of the address.

I always go to preview and check the settings but unless I buy another printer before Christmas I plan to disconnect this puppy; put it back in my closet and unpack and reconnect my 1998 model Deskjet 895Cse inkjet printer which will run circles around this C5280 before I address my 100 or so Christmas cards.<div>

HP doesn't make printers today as good as when the 895Cse was made; that is one tough printer. A relative emailed me last night and told me to take a look at an HP Officejet Pro 8600; it's a huge printer plus it has a fax which I don't really need since I already have a fax. Whenever you decide which model Canon printer you plan to buy come back here and post. Canon answered a question I posted on their Fb page a few days ago; they told me they had no printers that would do what I wanted to do with it.
</div>
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET's Oh, Snap! Sweepstakes

Enter for a chance to win* a 360-degree camera

Do you Snapchat? We want you to snap for this sweepstakes and give you the chance to get your hands on the Theta S so you can make your very own 360-degree videos.