TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Another 1080i vs 1080p question

by katpeeler / November 20, 2006 2:11 PM PST

Hey everyone, I know this question has been on the lips of many people. Ive serched the forums and reviews but unable to come up with a conclusion on my problem. I think Santa is going to get a lcd telvision this year. Im looking at the Sony XBR models between 42 and 46 inches (hdtv). I play ALOT of video games (xbox 360) and I know that LCD is the way to go. My question is which (1080i or 1080p) is best for viewing standard definition signals. I currently have Direct Tv, and maybe in the future get HD. Besides the Sony models is there another I might need to look at for best Standard Definition viewing. I value everyones oppinion and have a Happy Turkey Day!!!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another 1080i vs 1080p question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another 1080i vs 1080p question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by stewart norrie / November 20, 2006 2:59 PM PST

If dish will give you a free upgrade or small fee then stick with direct t.v I had direct t.v. for 6 years and when I wanted a hi-def upgrade they wanted $500 so I called the disah network and they gave me there 811 system for free also Dish offeres the Hi-Def package and VOOM great deal for $15.00 extra you are going to love the hi-def channels awsome programming and stunning picture good luck steweee

Collapse -
but how about a tv
by katpeeler / November 20, 2006 6:05 PM PST

Stewee, I appreciate the input about HD options. Dish has came out twice an unable to get a signal. So I have to stay with direct right now. Comcast doesnt offer HD in my area. But the body of my question is what LCD tv out there(46in) has the best standard definition performance. Sorry if I was unclear before. Thanx

Collapse -
Try Samsung
by sirroundsound / November 20, 2006 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: but how about a tv

If you haven't looked at them, Samsung seem to have some very nice LCD sets. we have installed them in some commercial enviroments with non HD signals (condo Gym for example)and for the price they looked quite good. They also are not bad to look at when turned off either.

Collapse -
is which (1080i or 1080p) is best for viewing SD???
by jcrobso / November 21, 2006 12:17 AM PST

Sadly there is no easy answer for this question, this varies from set to set.
It is not rated in many reviews, the only way to find is to try. Some stores may be able to show you what the set looks like with SD material.
Maybe one of our BBY members has some info.
For video games if you plan to get one of the newer boxes then 108p would be the way to go. John

Collapse -
Yep, not an easy answer
by Dan Filice / November 21, 2006 1:14 AM PST

John's correct, there isn't an easy answer for SD material. But in general, SD will look pretty crummy even on the best HDTV because most are fixed pixel displays and the TV's video processor will try to take low-res images and bump them up to 720 or 1080. Imagine the squares on a checkerboard. An SD picture will have enough resolution to fill every square. Now take an HDTV, which will have four times as many squares. The SD picture can only fill 1/4 of the squares with picture. What happens to the rest of the squares? The TV's video processor "creates" more picture material to fill all the squares. The result is a grainy, blurry picture that has a lot of motion blur because the TV has to keep "creating" picture information that was never there.

From my personal experience, I have seen the Sony XBR sets and they do a pretty darn good job with SD material as they have a very high-end video processor chip. This is one reason why they cost a fortune. The Sony non-XBR TVs, to me, are equal to Samsung, which are good, but I've installed a Samsung, a Bravia and an XBR all in the same house, and the XBR just looks better. But that's my 2-cents. I can tell you one thing for sure: My small LCD Sony looks a thousand times better than my friend's new Magnavox LCD. But then, there was about a $600 difference.

Collapse -
You can buy an external video rescaller for $400~600.
by jcrobso / November 21, 2006 11:59 PM PST

But I feel that you would be better off putting that money in a better set. John

Collapse -
1080i vs 1080p question
by RustySly / November 22, 2006 9:34 AM PST

When you are viewing standard TV signals, 1080p (progressive scan)or 1080i (interlaced scan--which is inferior to p) doesn't make much difference,because your TV will use pixal multiplying to create more lines.

For a digital signal, especially High Definition, there is a slight difference, depending on you screen size. The bigger the screen the more noticable the difference can be, depending on the manufacturer's level of technology.

Progressive scan (480p, 720p, 1080p) displays one complete image each frame, whereas interlaced scan, displays half a picture per frame, which means every other line is shown over two scans, rather than the entire picture. Technically, this means there is flicker, but most people will never notice unless they are looking for it.

However, with a non-HD signal, it really doesn't matter, because the picture just doesn't have many pixals as your HD signal.

Collapse -
1080 P vs. 1080 i and LCD Panels
by vdowizard / November 22, 2006 10:50 AM PST

Even if you won't be watching HD signals right away, before you spend a lot of money on a Monitor be sure to check which models properly display 1080P. More than 50% of the displays available right now don't do it properly. Read Home Theater magazine or go online to their website to find the displays that do the job properly. Then decide which Monitor yo want to buy.
There a disadvantages to buying LCD panels for your monitor. Viewing angle is a big one. Even though many manufacturer's state the angle as 170 degrees, quite often the changes in color and brightness once you start to go OFF-ANGLE right or left of the center of the screen should discourage you from thinking LCD is the right choice. The other issue with LCD's is motion lag. Many LCD monitors do not handle fast moving images as well as DLP or CRT type projection monitors do. So if you love Football you might want to think twice about choosing LCD.
Other than those items in particular, it is important to do some research on the DISPLAY (Monitor) you plan to buy based on what you will watch on it the most.
1080 P or 1080 I is not an issue for Standard Definition TV because you really wouldn't like what it would look like anyway. It would be best for Standard Def TV to use the stretch mode of your display. This mode will stretch the image to fit into the 16:9 aspect ratio of the display. But is does it in a special way so that images in the center of the screen don't look stretched out of proportion. The algorithm that is used stretches the image progressively from the center out to the edges. So that the most stretching of the image happens closest to the right and left outer edges of the Display. Other than these items I've mentioned it comes down to other features included with the display such as CABLE CARD, built in DVR and how many HDMI connectors the set has. By the way, if you plan to watch Blue-Ray or HD-DVD be sure that the display you buy has HDMI connectors and HDCP (High Def Content Protection) otherwise the best you'll ever be able to watch is 1080 I on the component inputs.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Sony XBR
by knowhow07 / November 22, 2006 12:02 PM PST

I recently purchased the 46" Sony XBR set and the picture is fabulous. It's bright and sharp. I don't have the HD hooked up yet, but it's hard to believe it will be better than what I have now with SD. Hopefully DirectV will be here soon to get me hooked up with HD. The 46" Sony LCD is more expensive than the 60" Sony SXRD, but the picture is well worth the money. If you are already going to get an HD set, stick with 1080p, since that's the latest format and eventually everyone will be transmitting in that format.

Collapse -
by katpeeler / November 22, 2006 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: Sony XBR

I know this subject has been asked numerous times and I appreciate everyones oppinion. When I refer to SD, I mean the normal signal coming from my DirectTv dish (digital). And I beleive that last post answered my question. Although I have been looking hard at the Sharp which rated the highest on this website. Now go eat some Turkey.=)

Collapse -
The Basics:
by aln298 / November 22, 2006 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: thanx

First of all, someone already mentioned it, but the larger the screen, the worst it will look if you're not watching HD. Directv's signal comes in at 1080i so, although the 1080p compatibility will be handy (eventually) it won't help you immediately. By the way, in my personal experience, cable's signal looks better as opposed to satellite's signal if you're not watching HD. Currently I have both, dish and directv, and I'm fortunate enough to have cable for free offered by my homeowner's association. I only receive HD on directv and the signal is impeccable. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma. and a 37" Olivia LCD that has exceeded my expectations.

Collapse -
DirectTV ans Dish Network both use MP2 digital encoding.
by jcrobso / November 29, 2006 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: thanx

The signal the satellite receives is digital, the receiver converts this to SD(analog)video. john

Collapse -
Two things to look for. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 23, 2006 12:23 AM PST

in any large screen HD TV while viewing SD programming. They are called mosquito noise and screen door effect. Mosquito noise is the little artifacts or fuzziness around an image on the screen. It can be very apparent in a standard def picture. The other, screen door effect, is the little squares on the screen that make you think you're looking at the image through a screen door.

Some TVs handle this better than others, and since 95% of all programming is SD, it's something to think about.

Another consideration is the native resolution. Since HD is defined as 720 or 1080 lines of horizontal resolution, all but the newest flat panel screens are 720. I believe Panasonic now has a flat panel with 1080 lines of resolution, but it costs eight grand. Most of the larger rear projection TVs have a native of 1080.

When any HD TV receives SD broadcasting, 480 lines, it upconverts (adds lines of resolution) to either 720 or 1080, whichever is its native resolution. Again, all TVs do it differently, and some better than others.

Which is why, myself, after selling all these TVs for a while, and watching them for eight hours a day, and comparing HD and SD, and was able to put a digital HDMI signal into them, chose the Sony LCoS 55" for my TV. It will handle 1080P. And the above mentioned considerations are not there on my TV. Nada. Zip. SD programming is excellent and HD looks like film.

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
More FYI!!
by jcrobso / November 29, 2006 1:10 AM PST

SD is analog video. The HDTV must convert this to digital and then upscale this video to it's native resolution.
I got a new Panasonic VHS/DVD burner combo a couple of weeks ago, it has component and HDMI upscaling, cost $289 at Costco. It dose a very good job of upscaling SD(analog) video. Question how come Panny can make a DVD player that dose a good job of upscalling SD video for under $300 and the HDTVs that sell for $2000+ can't???? John

Collapse -
(NT) 1080p.
by Ryo Hazuki / November 23, 2006 11:38 PM PST
Collapse -
monitor /1080p
by wnd50 / November 25, 2006 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: 1080p.

all good answers above ,you relize that only about four companys make the screens Samsung makes the Sony screen and be aware that as stated most programs now "broadcasters" are not yet ready to show 1080p mode yet,that will be ready by 2009 not ,this country already passed the first deadline. if you want look at the Bravia line of Sony or Samsung...and buy the hdmi cable from online prices around. good luck enjoy

Collapse -
how about for gaming or hd dvds
by katpeeler / November 27, 2006 6:13 PM PST
In reply to: monitor /1080p

will gaming be that much diferent on either or 1080i/1080p???....Could i tell the diference in picture quality if i watched a hd dvd on it????...Knowing at the time that microsoft does not have hdmi cables for the xbox...

Collapse -
Sony XBR impressive
by JoeVee / November 29, 2006 12:57 AM PST

We can assist with the HDTV. We bought a Sony XBR 32" and it's the best I've seen. Really happy with it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.