Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Annoying Spyware ....

by Renegade.Rivers / August 6, 2006 7:55 AM PDT

i have loads of spyware and its really annoying
i have spybot search and destroy but iits not removing all the spyware dose anyone no any free programms that will totally clean spyware off my system

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying Spyware ....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying Spyware ....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends, but Ewido is the best...
by John.Wilkinson / August 6, 2006 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Annoying Spyware ....
Ewido is the best free malware scanner I've encountered and should get the job done. However, some malware is particularly nasty and must be removed manually. In addition, you may have to disable System Restore to purge all restore points, a location where malware can hide from the scans.

Hope this helps,
Collapse -
There is no best
by jnbhoward / August 6, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

No single malware remover gets everything. Ewido gets more than most, but it won't get everything. That's why it's a good idea to add the likes of Spybot and AdAware at the very least.

Collapse -
ewido what change after 30day free trail?
by gargoyle_xlvii / August 6, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

ewido what change after 30day free trail?
What restrictions are placed on the software? Is it still worth while keeping?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2006 9:11 PM PDT

You lose some bells and whistles such as continuous background scanning after the trial period, but the anti-spyware scanner, and update definitions facility still work well.

It remains an effective tool against spyware, in addition to other anti-spyware utilities.

If you want continuous background protection, I would suggest Spybot's Tea-Timer, or Windows Defender, and use Ewido for regular double checks.

Collapse -
Some tips
by jnbhoward / August 6, 2006 9:06 AM PDT

No one malware remover is going to get everything. You need multiple removers to even get the majority of things. A search along the lines of "malware removal" into a search engine should give you plenty of reading material to study.

That all being said, I think it's time you take a look at your browsing habits, and try to figure out what it is you're doing that exposes you to all of this malware. Some of it can be installed without your having to do anything, but the majority of it still requires you to give the go ahead to install.

Once you've gotten rid of the malware you have, I have a few simple guidelines you could choose to follow to virtually eliminate future risk. There's always some risk, but following my guidelines will cut it by more than half, easily. It's up to you to follow them or not, but it'd be in your best interest to do so.

1: Do NOT use Internet Explorer OR any browser based on Internet Explorer
2: Do NOT use ANY file sharing programs
3: Do NOT use ANY pirated programs
4: Do NOT use Outlook or Outlook Express (more to do with spam reduction)
5: DO install ALL of the latest Windows security updates
5a: The ONLY valid exception to guideline #1
5b: Windows Genuine Advantage "updates" may, and should, be excluded

If you wish to continue using IE for whatever reason, be sure to keep multiple malware prevention/removal tools handy, updated, and scan with them regularly. You're bound to need them eventually.

Collapse -
by VJ_LYNCH / August 6, 2006 4:43 PM PDT

Sure do a search here on c/net under downloads -
tons of stuff to choose from.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.