Computer Help forum

General discussion

Annoying Delay while typing

by geo75skye / May 11, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

My Computer seems to be responding slow everytime i type in the what i am doing right now

I have the same problem as this gurl/guy

the only thing is that my webpages arent that slow in responding...
it only slows down when im typing....they are lagging for short...

i type the words and they are like 3-5 letters behind me..... and then after some time it does respond fast and doesnt lag when im typing....

My Laptop is a:
Dell Inspiron Series 1501
Microsoft XP Media Center Edition
Service Pack 2
AMD Sempron
789 MHz, with 448 MB of RAM
Its a year old and i havent had this problem until last week

I have tried:
Disk Cleaning
Cookie Deleting
Running Virus and Anti spyware checkups (no viruses)
Reformatting <- (yeah i even tried reinstalling microsoft)

As of now this are the processes running and taking up space:

thanks in advance, yahoo messenger =

i think it has to do with my display driver...or its software...i havent had this problem when i was reformatting back then. i noticed this problem after i came back from school and decided to reformat it to resolve my problem.... and after 2 tries i noticed before installing the ATI IGP Xpress 1150 which is my video driver i didnt experience typing delay, but after i installed it.... it did have delays

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Annoying Delay while typing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Annoying Delay while typing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something is stealing cycles ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 11, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

from your CPU.

Open the Task Manager and select the processes tab. You will see several columns, one of them is labled simply CPU - click it ONCE (it should put all processes in decending order of CPU usage (system idle process will most likely be at the top and SHOULD be "using" a lot).

Now open whatever application it is that your typing slows down in and manually resize it so you can keep an eye on the Tack Manager while typing. Note EXACTLY which processes are in the top 5 (one is likely tha app you are typing in) and let us know as one of them is most likely the "culprit".

Collapse -
Some Solutions
by thiagohf113 / May 11, 2008 8:37 AM PDT

I have two things you could try. I hope they help
1) What the previous post said
2) Add more RAM. It looks like you don't have enough RAM to go around for all your apps. Try upgrading to at least 1 GB

Collapse -
@ third post
by geo75skye / May 11, 2008 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Some Solutions

as i have said i had my laptop for almost a year... and reinstalled it for like 3 times and it didnt had problems.... i dont think adding up more ram would solve the problem... ill try what the second poster have said

Collapse -
by geo75skye / May 11, 2008 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: @ third post
Collapse -
Nothing strange.
by Kees Bakker / May 11, 2008 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: PICS

There's hardly any CPU-usage. Is this the really the situation while typing and while seeing that lag. I can't even see what program you're using to type in.

The one curious thing: where's your antivirus? What is your antivirus, and is it running?

Further diagnostics: please boot into Safe Mode and see if it has the same delays.

Collapse -
Just a thought...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 12, 2008 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing strange.

Do you use a wireless mouse and keyboard?

If so, make sure the wireless receiver for them both is not obstructed and the batteries in both the mouse and keyboard are new.

Similar things have happened to mine.

Collapse -
Ok, looked at the screenshots ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 12, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: PICS

and all I see is that Windows Update is running as are a few network services.

I note that although Notepad is open the title bar indicates it is inactive, the active title bar is for the Run box which makes me wonder why it was even open.

WHEN did you make the screenshot - just after typing a bit or while the keystrokes were being delayed? It is while they are delayed that counts.

I do note that network services is using a full 1% of the CPU cycles which could be indicative of a possible networking problem.

Take a look in your Event Viewer at the system and application logs for errors or info markers and see what shows up. If anything references a keyboard or mouse buffer overflow let us know and I'll give you the registry fix to increase the buffer size.

Collapse -
by geo75skye / May 12, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

@Kees Bakker
i just reformatted and my antivirus is the avg free 8.0 and avg ants
ill try booting into safe mode and see....

no...if you didnt read my first post @_@

@ Edward ODaniel

its because everytime i type it had delays, it didnt matter what application as long as it is a text box IE, Mozilla, Run, Search, Mword, Notepad, e-mail, etc. anywehere you could type

im using wireless to connect on the net...nothing more... i dont use LAN

ill see and update this post if something comes up

Collapse -
here it is
by geo75skye / May 12, 2008 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
It is so much easier ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 13, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: here it is

if you go through your logs and just tell us the errors but if you do submit them for others to review choose the *.evt format.

First, I suggest that you check Services and set WMI to automatic - that may help a little or it might not.

One error "CPLIB :: Initialization - Failed to load the library" is often associated with pirated games and a few other apps. I am NOT accusing you of piracy but it does make me wonder about your possible use of P2P apps. I haven't looked at the application log and won't get to it because I don't have the time to go through all your logs. It can also indicate a problem with your ATI graphics drivers.

Another error "The MSICPL service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified." is usually associated with Nvidia drivers or MSI motherboards - try re-installing motherboard drivers.

You also have a few Service Control Manager error 7011 entries that might apply. A laptop that goes into hibernation with the messenger service enabled can cause the messenger service to hang which in turn can cause other services hosted by your svchost.exe to also hang or cause other strange behavior (such as the scheduling service which might explain your problems updating your .NET security update KB 930494 and also the inability to syncronize your system time). -- DISABLE the messenger service

You also have several ATAPI Error 9 and CDrom error 11 which often indicate a bad data cable or UDMA settings. Can also indicate a problem between your CD burning software (happens often with Roxio) and Windows native IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (which I recommend you disable).

Go through your own logs and make use of

Collapse -
Hi... Delay Typing is over
by geo75skye / May 13, 2008 11:42 AM PDT

Err the delay went out...

guess what i did... i took out the battery... O_O
is this even logical? i mean whats the connection between the battery and the delayed typing...

anyway thanks for all your help... last thing i wanna know is why battery?

Collapse -
Hmm, weird.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 7:29 PM PDT

I have no idea, but I glad to hear you have solved it.

Collapse -
I have a similar problem with my IBM T42
by Steven Haninger / May 13, 2008 8:51 PM PDT

that's used for work. In my case, the episodes aren't that often and generally when I've left the laptop with an application open for a long time. I've noticed that, when this happens, the fan speed has suddenly increased at the same time. This tends to mean the CPU is maxed out. I can confirm this through task manager but haven't figured out what service is causing this. I've confirmed a problem with my wife's IBM that causes the CPU to go into overload and it has to do with an update service. When it's running, the laptop slows to a crawl. We recently found it set to automatic instead of manual and the laptop became almost unusable until I decided just to disable that service and will restart it only if we want to run the update service. Now, because you said removing and replacing the battery seems to have fixed your problem, I have to wonder if you don't have a power monitor/manager service running that had lost track your battery condition. Perhaps it steps down the CPU when power is low. Just a thought.

Collapse -
Glad to hear that ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 14, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

and will keep the info handy for similar laptop problems. Why it worked is anyone's guess - possibly ACAPI.

Do keep an eye on your event logs and see if those errors show up again as the battery may have been the cause of them also.

By the way, I earlier referenced the LAN error and you said you don't have a LAN but use wireless - wireless is actually just a connection component of a LAN (which is the acronym for Local Area Connection).

Thanks for letting us know.

Collapse -
Delay while typing problem
by cobaltrk / November 29, 2008 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Glad to hear that ...

I also removed my battery and it also solved my delay while typing problem!!!
I had tried several things with no luck, this worked immediately
PS: My battery is very weak and needs to be replaced, but I was waiting until after the holidays to replace it. I'll just leave it out now.

Collapse -
by zikoworld / May 18, 2014 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I used to have the same problem as yours now I got worse. Now it only allows me to type one letter at a time and I got to wait several seconds to be able to finish a word. But I know why this is happening I just don't know how to resolve it.
We both are using wireless network, disconnect the wireless adapter and try to type. It should work now, but the problem is when you connect the wireless adapter it will start to suck again. Is there any solution for this? I have already tried all the solution. I even uninstalled the wireless driver and install it again but in vain, the problem is still there. I type one word in a minute.

Collapse -
Hey, it's been 2198 days
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2014 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey

It's unlikely anything applies to your current issue. I suggest a new post with the details. Please avoid "it's not working posts." Folk may get the message that you don't work on your PC and move to the "reload your OS" answer.

Collapse -
This is the answer
by jctsabin / August 18, 2009 10:32 PM PDT

Hi, I've had the same problem. Solution is to deactivate the service named "ATI Hotkey POLLER". ex: Run msconfig. ATI Hotkey POLLER service is installed if you update to the latest ATI video card drivers. ATI Hotkey POLLER provides the ability to hot key your display settings for what ever reason you would need this feature.
Disable the service if you do not use hot keys for ATI software.

Collapse -
by zikoworld / May 18, 2014 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: This is the answer

There is no such a thing in my computer

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.